Old 23-12-2012, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best way to boil water on allotment?

My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a
shed in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present) some
means of boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

Janet
Old 23-12-2012, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
news
My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a shed
in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present) some means
of boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

Janet

If you have a source of paraffin then a Tilley Lamp
http://www.camping-online.co.uk/outd...ern-brass.html
comes in a range of colours and suppliers. Last I looked for spares the
manufacturer was in Belfast.

And a Primus stove
http://www.primus.eu/templates/pages...SectionId=5888

Old 23-12-2012, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
news
My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a shed
in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present) some means
of boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

Janet

If its just a quick cuppa you want then one of those little gas stoves that
come in a litle carrying case complete with gas cartridge should do nicely.
A tiny capming type kettle will boil quickly.

This is what I use when we get the occasional power cut!

have a look at:-
http://www.buydirect4u.co.uk/portabl...FefMtAodDncAGg

Bill

Old 23-12-2012, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/12/2012 13:51, Bill Grey wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
news
My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a shed
in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present) some means
of boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

Janet

If its just a quick cuppa you want then one of those little gas stoves that
come in a litle carrying case complete with gas cartridge should do nicely.
A tiny capming type kettle will boil quickly.

This is what I use when we get the occasional power cut!

have a look at:-
http://www.buydirect4u.co.uk/portabl...FefMtAodDncAGg

Bill

I use a double burner gas cooker something like this
http://www.blackcountrycamping.co.uk...double-gas-hob
The one I have is in a Cary box and has the cylinder contained in the
same box, got it from Lidl or Aldi.
Advantage is it's stable and you can fry or make toast etc whilst
boiling the kettle.

Old 23-12-2012, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
news
My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a shed
in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present) some means
of boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

Janet

A made up 'Allotment Basket' with Tea, Coffee, Sugar, Cups etc and space for
one large and one small Vacuum Flask.

Off to the Lottie? Put the kettle on, boil the water, fill the large flask.
Fill the small one with milk. Put them in the 'Allotment Basket'

Break time. Tea? Coffee? Other teas which only require water? Fresh Milk or
Powdered Milk. Sugar/Sweeteners? All there with no trouble.

Been there. Done that for years when I was working for myself.

Mike

Old 23-12-2012, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:17:47 -0000, Graham Harrison wrote:

If you have a source of paraffin then a Tilley Lamp

Can be a bit fnickity to light, with meths to preheat and having to pump
up regulary etc. Think I'd go for the convience of a gas lantern with
piezo ignition and detachable "clic" cylinders. The Bivouac stove also
takes "clic" cylinders so would be would be flexible. Gas runs out making
a brew, "borrow" the cylinder from the lantern...

http://www.campingaz.com/Benelux/p-2...4-plus-pz.aspx
http://www.campingaz.com/Benelux/p-2...ivouac174.aspx

Note the lantern chucks out a fair bit of heat make sure there is plenty
of clearance above it so as not to set fire to the shed roof...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-12-2012, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

A made up 'Allotment Basket' with Tea, Coffee, Sugar, Cups etc and space
for one large and one small Vacuum Flask.

Off to the Lottie? Put the kettle on, boil the water, fill the large
flask. Fill the small one with milk. Put them in the 'Allotment Basket'

Break time. Tea? Coffee? Other teas which only require water? Fresh Milk
or Powdered Milk. Sugar/Sweeteners? All there with no trouble.

Been there. Done that for years when I was working for myself.

That's what I do. No way would I have a naked flame in a shed.
--
Pete C

Old 23-12-2012, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote in newsqDBs.1429210$Ak.28066
@fx24.am4:

My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a
shed in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present) some
means of boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

Janet

I have seen allotmenteers using petrol generators, an electric kettle and a
lead lamp (an electrical lamp on a cable) . Most people have an electric
kettle and a lead light. A petrol generator can be bought cheaper than £50.

I have a device that plugs into the cigar lighter in the car/van. Takes 10
mins per cup. It does not provide light though.

The most convenient IMO is a camping gas stove. You would have to be
vigilant using it in a wooden shed. You can buy these in lots of shops and
are inexpensive. Lanterns are available too.

If you know how long your session at the allotment is going to be then the
most simple is a thermos flask. I prefer a fresh brew and use camping gas,
as riky as it can sometimes be. Plus I enjoy the experience for some daft
reason.

Baz
Old 23-12-2012, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:18:51 GMT, Baz wrote:

I have seen allotmenteers using petrol generators, an electric kettle
and a lead lamp (an electrical lamp on a cable) . Most people have an
electric kettle and a lead light. A petrol generator can be bought
cheaper than £50.

That sort of little stinky two stroke generators are not that powerful,
800W tops. You'd have to make sure your kettle was suitably rated low
power one.

I have a device that plugs into the cigar lighter in the car/van. Takes
10 mins per cup. It does not provide light though.

Yes, I have one as well, pays for itself quite quickly when not paying
£2.50 for a cup of coffee at service areas. They are quite a load though,
I'd be wary of flattening the car battery.

I can't see why you need a light on an allotment. Surely if it's dark
enough to need a light in the shed, it's also too dark to do any work?
Or are we thinking sheddie?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-12-2012, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a shed
in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present) some means of
boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

Depends how safe their site is.
Around here it seems allotment sheds are considered a good source of income
and I always recommend a trailer for the car rather than a shed as you can't
lock it ( they will break into it and damage it) or leave anything in it
anyway, a small trailer is also cheaper to buy, and can be used for carting
manure etc. as well as your tools. If a shed is needed as a place to go to
the loo then build a screen or do what I did and position the compost bins
strategically.

Personally, here, a good thermos flask would be a better bet.

I've mentioned it before but our site never had any problems until all the
"new" gardeners erected sheds, now it's almost like the villains have it
diarised. Another bigger site near here is always getting broken into by the
thieves cutting the posh metal railing fence (costs a fortune to replace)
and still they insist on filling their sheds with nice new goodies to tempt
them again and again.

Rant over!! :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-12-2012, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:18:51 GMT, Baz wrote:

I have seen allotmenteers using petrol generators, an electric kettle

and a lead lamp (an electrical lamp on a cable) . Most people have an

electric kettle and a lead light. A petrol generator can be bought
cheaper than £50.

That sort of little stinky two stroke generators are not that powerful,
800W tops. You'd have to make sure your kettle was suitably rated low
power one.

I have not looked that closely at the wattage. I have seen steam from
their kettle though.

I have a device that plugs into the cigar lighter in the car/van. Take

10 mins per cup. It does not provide light though.

Yes, I have one as well, pays for itself quite quickly when not paying
£2.50 for a cup of coffee at service areas. They are quite a load

though,
I'd be wary of flattening the car battery.

Never flattened mine.

I can't see why you need a light on an allotment. Surely if it's dark
enough to need a light in the shed, it's also too dark to do any work?

We don't need to know why.

Or are we thinking sheddie?

Loads of things to do in the shed when it's dark outside. Sheddie or not,
some people enjoy it, I know I sometimes like to be on my own for a
change.
Even chatting with friends over a cup of tea. Whatever turns you on. Some
people like trainspotting or stamp collecting, even gardening.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Baz

Old 23-12-2012, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

[...]

I agree with most of what you say. Bob.
Having a shed full of goodies is a bad idea. Almost as bad as having a car
with nickable things in it for all to see.
We don't give in to theives and stop owning cars do we. No, we still have
them, and most of us alarm them and put nickables away.
Cameras are the most successful way today, in the car, homes, sheds,
garages or on the street, used with forensic science. The theif is thinking
twice now that he is more likely to get caught. The more cameras the better
IMO.

Baz
Old 23-12-2012, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Loads of things to do in the shed when it's dark outside. Sheddie or not,
some people enjoy it, I know I sometimes like to be on my own for a
change.
Even chatting with friends over a cup of tea. Whatever turns you on. Some
people like trainspotting or stamp collecting, even gardening.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Baz

Gardening?
Don't be stupid, squelching around in mud with dirty hands, getting
eaten alive and stung by creepy crawlies.
Planting things to feed slugs and birds.
Nahh!
No one in their right minds would do Gardening.

Old 23-12-2012, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-23 13:11:49 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a
shed in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present)
some means of boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a
light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

Janet

Camping gaz do a variety of stoves from a single ring on top of a small
gas bottle to a sort of mini-barbecue arrangement.

I've used my gas rings in the back of a van, the back of the car (Not
when driving I must add).
It's quick and packs away when not in use so can stay in the back of the
car when not in use.
Old 23-12-2012, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

Loads of things to do in the shed when it's dark outside. Sheddie or
not, some people enjoy it, I know I sometimes like to be on my own
for a change.
Even chatting with friends over a cup of tea. Whatever turns you on.
Some people like trainspotting or stamp collecting, even gardening.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Baz

Gardening?
Don't be stupid, squelching around in mud with dirty hands, getting
eaten alive and stung by creepy crawlies.
Planting things to feed slugs and birds.
Nahh!
No one in their right minds would do Gardening.

Yes, David, my fantasy got the better of me.

Baz