GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dahlia fun (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206035-dahlia-fun.html)

David Hill 26-12-2012 10:58 AM

Dahlia fun

This picture was posted on a Dahlia site by an Australian grower.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...liapoodles.jpg

Enjoy

Baz[_6_] 26-12-2012 01:59 PM

Dahlia fun

David Hill wrote in
:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ahlias%20etc/d
ahliapoodles.jpg

Very nice. I like it very much.
My dad used to grow fowers the same (or similar) as those. He thought they
were Chrysanthemums, and used to cover the flower heads with a bag on each.
Always had earwigs in them, but big flower heads.
His Dahlias used to have pointed petals, not nearly as prety as (what he
thought were) Chrysanthemums.
I am wondering if it is my memory, or did my dad get it wrong, or both.

Thanks
Baz

David Hill 26-12-2012 05:46 PM

Dahlia fun

On 26/12/2012 13:59, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ahlias%20etc/d
ahliapoodles.jpg

Very nice. I like it very much.
My dad used to grow fowers the same (or similar) as those. He thought they
were Chrysanthemums, and used to cover the flower heads with a bag on each.
Always had earwigs in them, but big flower heads.
His Dahlias used to have pointed petals, not nearly as prety as (what he
thought were) Chrysanthemums.
I am wondering if it is my memory, or did my dad get it wrong, or both.

Thanks
Baz

There are several main types of Dahlias
Ball
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...minCornell.jpg
Cactus
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nDovesport.jpg
Collerette
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eAbacusSol.jpg
Decorative
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nKarenGlen.jpg
Pompon
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...SmallWorld.jpg
Semi Cactus
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...llFlamingo.jpg
Water lily
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...lyFigurine.jpg
Anemone
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...GardenShow.jpg

Many of these come in different sizes from Minature to Giant
For more information see http://www.dahliaworld.co.uk/dahlia.htm
Hope this helps
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay