GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sprouting Seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206079-sprouting-seeds.html)

mrcpea[_2_] 01-01-2013 03:35 PM

Sprouting Seeds

Hi all,
We would like to try sprouting some seeds but are not sure what sort
of container would be best. Can you use an ordinary large glass jar? I
remember you used to be able to get plastic bags for it, but I can't
seem to find them anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Richard & Wendy

The Real Baz 01-01-2013 03:47 PM

Sprouting Seeds

mrcpea wrote in news:bf06e818a7r3avqaf22et736gle2nihtt7@
4ax.com:

Hi all,
We would like to try sprouting some seeds but are not sure what sort
of container would be best. Can you use an ordinary large glass jar? I
remember you used to be able to get plastic bags for it, but I can't
seem to find them anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Richard & Wendy

What seeds have you in mind? They all differ.

Baz

mrcpea[_2_] 01-01-2013 04:34 PM

Sprouting Seeds

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 15:47:58 GMT, The Real Baz
wrote:

mrcpea wrote in news:bf06e818a7r3avqaf22et736gle2nihtt7@
4ax.com:

Hi all,
We would like to try sprouting some seeds but are not sure what sort
of container would be best. Can you use an ordinary large glass jar? I
remember you used to be able to get plastic bags for it, but I can't
seem to find them anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Richard & Wendy

What seeds have you in mind? They all differ.

Baz

Hi Baz,
Was thinking of fenugreek & similar.

The Real Baz 01-01-2013 04:44 PM

Sprouting Seeds

mrcpea wrote in news:mv36e81ktbbl5ap5hsep6fjvgek1b3i9ov@
4ax.com:

wrote:

mrcpea wrote in news:bf06e818a7r3avqaf22et736gle2nihtt7@
4ax.com:

Hi all,
We would like to try sprouting some seeds but are not sure what sort
of container would be best. Can you use an ordinary large glass jar? I
remember you used to be able to get plastic bags for it, but I can't
seem to find them anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Richard & Wendy

What seeds have you in mind? They all differ.

Baz

Hi Baz,
Was thinking of fenugreek & similar.

Ah! Not my subject, but I know that you will get advice from some of the
others in this group.

Baz

Gary Woods 01-01-2013 07:54 PM

Sprouting Seeds

mrcpea wrote:

We would like to try sprouting some seeds but are not sure what sort
of container would be best. Can you use an ordinary large glass jar?

I do just fine with a wide-mouth quart jar: soak the seeds overnight, then
hold the lid against it and drain and rinse. Repeat a couple of times a
day until the sprouts are the size you wish. I've done fenugreek, but
mostly mung beans.

Pam Moore[_2_] 04-01-2013 03:23 PM

Sprouting Seeds

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 15:35:13 +0000, mrcpea wrote:

Hi all,
We would like to try sprouting some seeds but are not sure what sort
of container would be best. Can you use an ordinary large glass jar? I
remember you used to be able to get plastic bags for it, but I can't
seem to find them anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Richard & Wendy

I use a large 2lb jam jar or similar, and put a steiilised cloth over
the top with a rubber band. Run water in throught he cloth and it
drains off easily. Works for me!

Pam in Bristol