GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Storing Root Vegetables (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206085-storing-root-vegetables.html)

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 02-01-2013 03:17 PM

Storing Root Vegetables

Although my turnips and swedes did not do all that
well last year, I did have a small surplice of tennis
ball sized roots, which I decided to store for a
while.

Not into large soil type clamps, so I found an old bag
of builders sand (dried out) damped it down and store
the roots in there, having removed all roots and
greenery.

They now have about three inches or so of white shoots
on the top (stored in dark, hence no green! and in a
cool, but not freezing garage). SWMBO says that the
roots seem fine, and I'll be able to confirm that
tomorrow (if I survive till then!).

But have I done it wrong or is this what is expected?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales