Old 16-01-2013, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default staying online whilst no access to computer

I am staying at a friend's house to help her with her garden in a
couple of months but I really would like to stay online if I can.

She doesn't have the Internet (long story) - is there a way I could buy
something to plug into, say, my laptop so I could go on. I would like to
show her the RHS site and pictures of plants etc. Only need it for about
2 or 3 weeks, don't mind paying, just have no idea of whether it's a
possibility.

Don't have smart phone so can't use that.
--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 16-01-2013, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/2013 13:35, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I am staying at a friend's house to help her with her garden in a couple
of months but I really would like to stay online if I can.

She doesn't have the Internet (long story) - is there a way I could buy
something to plug into, say, my laptop so I could go on. I would like to
show her the RHS site and pictures of plants etc. Only need it for about
2 or 3 weeks, don't mind paying, just have no idea of whether it's a
possibility.

Check the 3G network coverage of wherever it is you are going. Then you
can buy a suitable 3G dongle and get ~2Mbps connectivity.

That is what I have done to avoid being offline when away from the
office. Price is a bit steep at typically £10 / GB so make sure you sync
your computer to all possible updates on a fixed line first!

Don't have smart phone so can't use that.

What you want is a dongle. Mine is a HuaWei HiLink 3G on network 3 and
to my amazement I actually get a usable signal back home in the sticks.
I chose this model because it had best signal in Manchester!

I think it was £40 for one with 3GB to use over 3 months and then £10
per GB per month no contract (oh and probably loss of slot timeout of
unused credit if you fail to use it for six months).

The free alternative is find the nearest net enabled and not yet closed
to save money public library.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-01-2013, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:53:21 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

The free alternative is find the nearest net enabled and not yet closed
to save money public library.

Or swallow your pride and go to Starbuck's
Old 16-01-2013, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I am staying at a friend's house to help her with her garden in a couple
of months but I really would like to stay online if I can.

She doesn't have the Internet (long story) - is there a way I could buy
something to plug into, say, my laptop so I could go on. I would like to
show her the RHS site and pictures of plants etc. Only need it for about 2
or 3 weeks, don't mind paying, just have no idea of whether it's a
possibility.

Don't have smart phone so can't use that.

When we are away from home, which we often are with work, we use a mobile
broadband dongle from 3. It simply plugs into a USB port on the laptop. We
have tried all the UK providers and the 3 network coverage and speed is best
by far. Ours costs £15.99 per month but we are on the top rate because our
usage for work and other related activity demands it; there are cheaper
packages, starting at £7.50pm or PAYG, if you don't need that level of
service. The dongle came free with our package, others may vary. Call in at
a 3 shop or go to http://store.three.co.uk/

And no, we don't work for them or get commission, we're just satisfied
customers

Otherwise, you could get what you want for free if you have wireless
networking on the computer. Go to somewhere like a Starbucks or some local
government buildings like a library and you can often get a free wireless
connection. If you don't have wireless built in you can get a usb adapter
for that too for a few quid from PC World or the like. Or you could pay for
an hour at an Internet cafe and use one of their computers to do the same.

Do let us know how it goes
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 16-01-2013, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:35:59 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

I am staying at a friend's house to help her with her garden in a
couple of months but I really would like to stay online if I can.

She doesn't have the Internet (long story) - is there a way I could buy
something to plug into, say, my laptop so I could go on. I would like to
show her the RHS site and pictures of plants etc. Only need it for about
2 or 3 weeks, don't mind paying, just have no idea of whether it's a
possibility.

Don't have smart phone so can't use that.

Whenever I have had that problem I have used a Vodafone dongle. There
are many other dongles available but I always used Vodafone. See
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/inter...ngle/index.htm for details.

Steve

Old 16-01-2013, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/2013 14:14, Ophelia wrote:
Otherwise, you could get what you want for free if you have wireless
networking on the computer. Go to somewhere like a Starbucks or some
local government buildings like a library and you can often get a free
wireless connection. If you don't have wireless built in you can get a
usb adapter for that too for a few quid from PC World or the like. Or
you could pay for an hour at an Internet cafe and use one of their
computers to do the same.

Do let us know how it goes

Just phoned 3g, really helpful and friendly, only have to pay for 1
month at a time. Easy to do and very grateful for the fast answers on
here

So nice to speak to someone in Scotland , and I understood every word he
said and he knew what he was talking about!!

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 16-01-2013, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/16/2013 9:14 AM, Ophelia wrote:

When we are away from home, which we often are with work, we use a
mobile broadband dongle from 3. It simply plugs into a USB port on the
laptop. We have tried all the UK providers and the 3 network coverage
and speed is best by far. Ours costs £15.99 per month but we are on the
top rate because our usage for work and other related activity demands
it; there are cheaper packages, starting at £7.50pm or PAYG, if you
don't need that level of service. The dongle came free with our
package, others may vary. Call in at a 3 shop or go to
http://store.three.co.uk/

But first, check that 3 actually covers the area you'll be in! A distant
cousin bought a lovely new 3 dongle to use while she was visiting to do
some genealogy research - and discovered that the nearest 3 coverage was
about 30 miles away!

Old 16-01-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:14:02 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I am staying at a friend's house to help her with her garden in a couple
of months but I really would like to stay online if I can.

She doesn't have the Internet (long story) - is there a way I could buy
something to plug into, say, my laptop so I could go on.

Otherwise, you could get what you want for free if you have wireless
networking on the computer. Go to somewhere like a Starbucks or some local
government buildings like a library and you can often get a free wireless
connection. If you don't have wireless built in you can get a usb adapter
for that too for a few quid from PC World or the like. Or you could pay for
an hour at an Internet cafe and use one of their computers to do the same.

Do let us know how it goes
--

Is the friends house isolated or are there neighbours?
If so one of them may have a wifi signal that reaches.
Old 16-01-2013, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
On 16/01/2013 14:14, Ophelia wrote:
Otherwise, you could get what you want for free if you have wireless
networking on the computer. Go to somewhere like a Starbucks or some
local government buildings like a library and you can often get a free
wireless connection. If you don't have wireless built in you can get a
usb adapter for that too for a few quid from PC World or the like. Or
you could pay for an hour at an Internet cafe and use one of their
computers to do the same.

Do let us know how it goes

Just phoned 3g, really helpful and friendly, only have to pay for 1 month
at a time. Easy to do and very grateful for the fast answers on here

Excellent! We have found them to be, consistently, the best of all.

So nice to speak to someone in Scotland , and I understood every word he
said and he knew what he was talking about!!

Heh I know what you mean)
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 16-01-2013, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 1/16/2013 9:14 AM, Ophelia wrote:

When we are away from home, which we often are with work, we use a
mobile broadband dongle from 3. It simply plugs into a USB port on the
laptop. We have tried all the UK providers and the 3 network coverage
and speed is best by far. Ours costs £15.99 per month but we are on the
top rate because our usage for work and other related activity demands
it; there are cheaper packages, starting at £7.50pm or PAYG, if you
don't need that level of service. The dongle came free with our
package, others may vary. Call in at a 3 shop or go to
http://store.three.co.uk/

But first, check that 3 actually covers the area you'll be in! A distant
cousin bought a lovely new 3 dongle to use while she was visiting to do
some genealogy research - and discovered that the nearest 3 coverage was
about 30 miles away!

Yes, always best to check. They do have the best coverage nationally but it
isn't complete. They are, however, totally open and honest about it and will
show you a map of where the best signal reception is, where it works outside
but might not be so good inside, and where there are known dead spots.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 16-01-2013, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/2013 14:54, S Viemeister wrote:
But first, check that 3 actually covers the area you'll be in! A distant
cousin bought a lovely new 3 dongle to use while she was visiting to do
some genealogy research - and discovered that the nearest 3 coverage was
about 30 miles away!

No i gave him the postcode and he checked - he also thought to check for
my own so that if there's any spare days left of the month's contract I
can use them at home.
I do have Broadband and supposedyly wi fi on this computer but since Tom
set it up, no one seems to be able to connect wirelesseley to it and
you can't see it either on networks available !

The dongle can be discontinued at a month's notice so when i get it I
can stop it - I wouldn't like to piggy back on some uynknown computer
user's network, wouldn't like it done to me so ...............

However this will be very useful for some of the Gardening club members
who are going on Trips and stuff and who don't have a all singing
dancing phone as they can find out plants that they see or information
that they need before purchasing all and sundry at the nurseries they
visit !

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 16-01-2013, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/16/2013 10:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Cousin knows that now! She could have asked one of us, but it never
occurred to her that we wouldn't have coverage.

Old 16-01-2013, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/2013 15:40, Ophelia wrote:
Yes, always best to check. They do have the best coverage nationally but
it isn't complete. They are, however, totally open and honest about it
and will show you a map of where the best signal reception is, where it
works outside but might not be so good inside, and where there are known
dead spots.
--

Yes, friend lives at the Lee near Great Missenden and on her Open Day we
are forever having people complain that they can't use their phones or

--
Janet T.
Amersham