Old 18-01-2013, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default snow snow snow!

Well we (Amersham, Bucks.) have started getting the snow that was
promised, been blowing and falling since about 9am and hasn't let up yet
so roads now covered and about an inch or so deep. Gym classes stopped
early because all the mobile phones were going off to tell parents to
come and get their children from school by 11.30am!!
Recent weather forecast was that it wouldn't let up till Monday!
Have to go and knock snow off some plants soon! Birds all disappeared.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 18-01-2013, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Well we (Amersham, Bucks.) have started getting the snow that was
promised, been blowing and falling since about 9am and hasn't let up
yet so roads now covered and about an inch or so deep.

Yes, it started here in Reading at about 8.15 this morning. Very light
at first but now it's falling with bigger flakes. I guess we've got
about two inches at the moment.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 18-01-2013, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Well we (Amersham, Bucks.) have started getting the snow that was
promised, been blowing and falling since about 9am and hasn't let up yet
so roads now covered and about an inch or so deep.

Yes, it started here in Reading at about 8.15 this morning. Very light at
first but now it's falling with bigger flakes. I guess we've got about two
inches at the moment.

Here on the east coast we had about an inch over night, but have been
"promised" a blizzard this afternoon :-{

--
Kathy

Old 18-01-2013, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:45:05 -0000, "Kathy" wrote:

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Well we (Amersham, Bucks.) have started getting the snow that was
promised, been blowing and falling since about 9am and hasn't let up yet
so roads now covered and about an inch or so deep.

Yes, it started here in Reading at about 8.15 this morning. Very light
at
first but now it's falling with bigger flakes. I guess we've got about
two
inches at the moment.

Here on the east coast we had about an inch over night, but have been
"promised" a blizzard this afternoon :-{

A blizzard is a snow shower with wind. :-)
--

Martin

What will Britain do when it /really/snows?

I take it all the hills are snow-capped where you are :-)

Bill

Old 18-01-2013, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/01/2013 13:25, Bill Grey wrote:
I take it all the hills are snow-capped where you a-)

Bill

well it's forecast not to stop snowing until Monday and it's been
snowing steadily since about 9am.
Main roads okay but side roads lethal.

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Old 18-01-2013, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:05:34 +0100, Martin wrote:

Here on the east coast we had about an inch over night, but have been
"promised" a blizzard this afternoon :-{

A blizzard is a snow shower with wind. :-)

To the media it is technically it's somewhat more that. Moderate snow
with wind in excess of F7 (Near Gale) and visibility reduced to less than
200m. "Moderate snow" is up to 4cm/hr. Note that wind speed, F7 is over
32 mph, that is pretty windy for many places. You really don't want to be
out in a true blizzard.

As for snow, what snow? Nothing fresh here. In fact we have less this
morning than we did last night as the overnight dry F4 (Moderate Breeze)
has been making the smattering we had sublime.

Currently fairly bright after dull start. Lazy(*) F4 SSE'ly -4.1C chill
around -15C.

(*)Lazy in that the wind doesn't go around you but straight through. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 18-01-2013, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 Janet Tweedy wrote:

well it's forecast not to stop snowing until Monday and it's been
snowing steadily since about 9am.
Main roads okay but side roads lethal.

It's almost stopped snowing here but about four inches have fallen.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 18-01-2013, 10:37 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rance[_6_] View Post

It's almost stopped snowing here but about four inches have fallen.
We had about 2inches last sunday night, and it's been here ever since, thanks to temperatures not having risen above around -3deg C. Enough to look pretty but not enough to sledge.
Just a slight dusting from the latest lot - I feel really jealous.

Interesting footprints on the pond, though. Various cat tracks, and also a bounding squirrel. But hard to see where one of the cats left the pond. Visions of super-squirrel carrying off a cat.