Old 24-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Registered User

Default Palm tree transplant help

Hi I have dug up many palms during warm weather but I have now won another to trachycarpus fortunei (windmill palms) that the seller wants me to dig up one is three foot and other is 6 foot. can I dig this in the cołd winter weather about 3-6 degrees celsius. will I risk killing them or will they survive? they will be transported and then put straight into ground. any help much appreciated. thanks
Old 26-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggles1504 View Post
Hi I have dug up many palms during warm weather but I have now won another to trachycarpus fortunei (windmill palms) that the seller wants me to dig up one is three foot and other is 6 foot. can I dig this in the cołd winter weather about 3-6 degrees celsius. will I risk killing them or will they survive? they will be transported and then put straight into ground. any help much appreciated. thanks
Hi wiggles, not sure where you are ? but it should be fine to move them now. If I had a choice, then i'd be moving them around February anyway. The only thing I'd watch would be to protect them from very drying icy wind, even tying in the top fronds to protect them.
If you have done this before, you'll know all about maintaining a firm root ball etc.
regards Lannerman.
Old 28-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi wiggles, not sure where you are ? but it should be fine to move them now. If I had a choice, then i'd be moving them around February anyway. The only thing I'd watch would be to protect them from very drying icy wind, even tying in the top fronds to protect them.
If you have done this before, you'll know all about maintaining a firm root ball etc.
regards Lannerman.
Hi lannerman moved palms on Saturday was a lovely day here in Kent. the palms come out lovely the persons soil was do healthy and soft. didn't break or damage any roots. they are now planted in my garden with miracle grow peat and mycorzical fungi hoping that will give them the boost they need.