GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Kew Orchid Festival (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206356-kew-orchid-festival.html)

Bob Hobden 08-02-2013 06:17 PM

Kew Orchid Festival

Whilst the Festival does not start until Saturday most of the displays were
already done yesterday when we took a stroll round Kew so here are some
photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632715778539/

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

David Hill 08-02-2013 08:08 PM

Kew Orchid Festival

On 08/02/2013 18:17, Bob Hobden wrote:
Whilst the Festival does not start until Saturday most of the displays
were already done yesterday when we took a stroll round Kew so here are
some photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632715778539/

Nice set of pics, esp the blue and the set following.
I can't say I like the way many are displayed, may look better in real
life, buy to artificial for me.
I remember going up to Glasgow for the 14th World Orchid Conference at
the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre in April 1993.
I just went for the show of orchids.
Orchid growers from all around the world were exhibiting their orchids,
it was just mind blowing, with flowers of all sizes some smaller than
the head of a match, the whole plant would have fitted into a match box.
David @ the drying (but not for much longer) end of Swansea bay,

Bob Hobden 08-02-2013 10:58 PM

Kew Orchid Festival

"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Whilst the Festival does not start until Saturday most of the displays
were already done yesterday when we took a stroll round Kew so here are
some photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632715778539/

Nice set of pics, esp the blue and the set following.
I can't say I like the way many are displayed, may look better in real
life, buy to artificial for me.
I remember going up to Glasgow for the 14th World Orchid Conference at the
Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre in April 1993.
I just went for the show of orchids.
Orchid growers from all around the world were exhibiting their orchids, it
was just mind blowing, with flowers of all sizes some smaller than the head
of a match, the whole plant would have fitted into a match box.

Thanks for the comments David, you obviously like Vandas, very difficult to
grow and flower in the UK, even the gardener I spoke to said they had a
great many in their tropical nursery but could only ever put on a small
display because they are so shy flowering in our low light country.
Now there's a coincidence, we went to that Orchid Conference too. I too
prefer a more naturalistic type display but I can't deny it was stunning.

Plenty of smaller shows around...
http://www.iantparsons.creators.co.u.../showdiary.php
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Sacha[_10_] 09-02-2013 03:27 PM

Kew Orchid Festival

On 2013-02-08 18:17:35 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

Whilst the Festival does not start until Saturday most of the displays
were already done yesterday when we took a stroll round Kew so here are
some photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632715778539/

You do take excellent photos! I like the pink 'exploding' basket and
the large tower covered in orchids. Some of the hanging baskets are too
bare but I like the square box with a sort of feathery white flower
coming from it. Which is that?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_10_] 09-02-2013 03:30 PM

Kew Orchid Festival

On 2013-02-08 18:17:35 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

Whilst the Festival does not start until Saturday most of the displays
were already done yesterday when we took a stroll round Kew so here are
some photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632715778539/

Forgot! That blue Vanda hybrid is *stunning*. What a colour! And the
cacti in 0075 made me think of Lotusland in California!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Bob Hobden 09-02-2013 05:59 PM

Kew Orchid Festival

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

Whilst the Festival does not start until Saturday most of the displays
were already done yesterday when we took a stroll round Kew so here are
some photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632715778539/

You do take excellent photos! I like the pink 'exploding' basket and the
large tower covered in orchids. Some of the hanging baskets are too bare
but I like the square box with a sort of feathery white flower coming from
it. Which is that?

Thank you, just getting used to a new camera, a proper one, so I have to
think again instead of it all being automatic.
Some of the baskets do look a bit bare especially at the bottom but they
hadn't finished all the displays so maybe they will do something about it.
The large tall towers are actually wrapped around the support columns for
the greenhouse.
The orchid in the hanging wooden box is Dendrochilum formosanum with white
flowers there is also one D. filiforme with yellow flowers.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Bob Hobden 09-02-2013 06:20 PM

Kew Orchid Festival

"Bob Hobden" wrote...

Thank you, just getting used to a new camera, a proper one, so I have to
think again instead of it all being automatic.
Some of the baskets do look a bit bare especially at the bottom but they
hadn't finished all the displays so maybe they will do something about it.
The large tall towers are actually wrapped around the support columns for
the greenhouse.
The orchid in the hanging wooden box is Dendrochilum formosanum with white
flowers there is also one D. filiforme with yellow flowers.

On thinking about it those flowers on the Dendrochilum look too white even
for the white form of D. formosanum so I think it's more likely to be D.
glumaceum. Should have looked whilst there but I thought I knew what it was.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.