Old 17-02-2013, 01:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT TV sound

On 17/02/2013 00:56, Christina Websell wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:15:44 -0000, Janet wrote:

English city where the average reading age is 7.

Where would that be? With a reference please

Somewhere near the 7 bridge?

Under it, more like. I've never heard of an adult population having
their reading ages tested/recorded.

Some one "clever" probably did a survey of 50 adults on a council sink
estate and extrapolated the results to cover the whole city.

Having said that a google produces many hits which state the UK average
reading age is around 8 or 9.

What? Not for my family.

Perhaps you are having difficulty with reading and understanding
mathematical concepts. UK average implies a national average. Some
will be higher some lower. By being higher you cannot drag the lowest
or the average up to your level.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jan/24/books.politics

"Up to 16 million adults - nearly half the workforce - are holding
down jobs despite having the reading and writing skills expected of
children leaving primary school, a new report reveals today.

MPs on the Commons Public Accounts Committee claim that a major
government scheme costing billions of pounds has done little to
improve the quality of adult literacy and numeracy teaching.

The Department for Education is on course to have spent almost £6bn on
its Skills for Life scheme by 2010, but its first few years have
produced little evidence of improvement in provision in colleges or
on-the-job training by employers."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3641634.stm (from 2004)

"A scientist at Bath University looked at pages about diabetes on 15
internet health sites run mainly by charities and official bodies.

He found people would need a reading ability of an educated 11 to
17-year-old to understand the sites.

However, he said the average reading age of people in the UK was
equivalent to an educated nine-year-old."
--
Phil Cook
Old 17-02-2013, 02:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe we were just lucky to be intelligent or maybe our parents made us go
to school and NOT let us duck out.

Old 17-02-2013, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Having said that a google produces many hits which state the UK average
reading age is around 8 or 9. B-(

Which makes an average reading age of 7 plausible.

Only if you think every internet repetition of false information makes
it true.

Or you choose suitable interpretations of the word 'average'.

He revealed that 50,000 adults in Stoke-on-Trent are functionally
illiterate (literacy or numeracy). [20% of the population]

Which means that 80 % ARE functionally literate therefore have a
reading age above "reading age 8/9"

God help us all :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-02-2013, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/02/2013 02:31, Christina Websell wrote:
"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 17/02/2013 00:56, Christina Websell wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

Having said that a google produces many hits which state the UK average
reading age is around 8 or 9.

What? Not for my family.

By being higher you cannot drag the lowest or the
average up to your level.

Maybe we were just lucky to be intelligent or maybe our parents made us go
to school and NOT let us duck out.

Yes, it used to be a constant source of amazement to me how dim some
folk are. Once I left the ivory towers of academia I faffed and wasted
and now work at a post some way below my education. I suppose after 20
years I am now used to it, that and the fact that some folk seem to
have no work ethic whatsoever.
--
Phil Cook

Old 17-02-2013, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

The average reading age of 7 comes from an NHS induction course for
new staff.

Refuted here

http://bel-epa.com/notes/Ginger/PPIG...eading-age.xml

Janet.

Old 18-02-2013, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 23:43:10 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

The average reading age of 7 comes from an NHS induction course for
new staff.

Refuted here

http://bel-epa.com/notes/Ginger/PPIG...eading-age.xml

It's all elementary statistics - note the quote from Sir Claus Moser,
who knows how to express statistics accurately and comprehensibly.

The BEL-EPA 'Home Page' makes interesting reading:

The Bureau of Earth Liaison was established under the Developing
Planetary Systems Initiative (DPSI) in order to promote and maintain
interaction between the peoples of Earth and the wider community.

Q: Is there any evidence of intelligence on Earth?

A: No, I'm only visiting.

The thing that is horrific is that the official scales stop at
a level that is below that many of the postings on this group
and, even then, only 44% of the adult population achieve it.
On that scale, to be able to read anything that contains real
information about politics, economics, or pretty well anything
else needs a level 7 or more. Which is why the UK population is
so ignorant, and so vulnerable to manipulation by the Murdochs,
Daily Wail and other demagogues.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-02-2013, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Rance
writes
After doing a lot more research I finally decided on a Samsung Smart
TV. I thought that, if the sound is poor, I can still plug it into the
hi-fi. When it arrived, imagine my disappointment when I found it
wasn't possible to do that. Yes, there was a sound output but it was
digital and my hi-fi is too old to accept that!

However, all's well that ends well because the sound from the new
Samsung is superb and I don't need a separate set of speakers. It's
even better than my old Sony CRT set. The picture's pretty good, too,
especially in HD.

We recently got the Samsung Smart 7000 series - and I must admit, the
sound seems fine to me - certainly, better than our old Panasonic which
in itself wasn't too bad. However, we've still indulged in a Sammie
sound bar and wireless sub woofer. Need to be careful where you place
it - the old china cabinet can get a bit rattled.

As far as I'm concerned, with the sound bar set up and a blu-ray player
with hard disk, its good enough to get rid of all the 'old' hi fi
equipment (DVD/CD, radios, amp, hard disk and speakers). And being able
to get content via the home network from the pcs and laptops is pretty
neat too.

(Veering even further OT - I did find some TV downloaded content was a
bit slow over the wireless (its a fair distance from the router). So I
bought a pair of 'ethernet over power' plugs - one to the router and one
to the tv - and now the connection from router to TV is fantastic. I've
always been a bit suspicuous of these devices, but for this at least,
they work brilliantly).

--
regards andyw
Old 18-02-2013, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Dave Hill wrote:

I think you want to update your facts.
In many the ophthalmic departments of many UK hospitals they are doing
Cataract operations as a day surgery procedure/
You say about about the replacement lens being matched to the eye, I'm
not sure what you mean by this, if you are referring to eye colour then
there is no matching to do as the lens is clear, all the colour of the
eye is in the Iris.

I have to take steroids and they can cause early onset cataracts, which in my case developed very quickly. I was very long-sighted as well, so I had reached the point where I could hardly see a thing without super-strong lenses. Driving at night became impossible because of the glare and it was very difficult to make out floral details when trying to identify plants.

I had both eyes 'done', one in September '11 and the other January '12 and in both cases I was in, out and back home in less than 3 hours. The operation itself takes little more than 20 minutes and is completely painless. My implants were prescription lenses to offset the long-sightedness and my 'new eyes' are almost as good now as they were 40 years ago. No more glasses for me ... apart from those that need filling with a good Rioja ;-)
Old 18-02-2013, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-18 14:09:10 +0000, said:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 23:43:10 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

The average reading age of 7 comes from an NHS induction course for
new staff.

Refuted here

http://bel-epa.com/notes/Ginger/PPIG...eading-age.xml

It's all elementary statistics - note the quote from Sir Claus Moser,
who knows how to express statistics accurately and comprehensibly.

The BEL-EPA 'Home Page' makes interesting reading:

The Bureau of Earth Liaison was established under the Developing
Planetary Systems Initiative (DPSI) in order to promote and maintain
interaction between the peoples of Earth and the wider community.

Q: Is there any evidence of intelligence on Earth?

A: No, I'm only visiting.

This makes me think of the person who asked Mahatma Gandhi what he
thought of western civilisation. He said he thought it would be an
excellent idea. ;-)

The thing that is horrific is that the official scales stop at
a level that is below that many of the postings on this group
and, even then, only 44% of the adult population achieve it.
On that scale, to be able to read anything that contains real
information about politics, economics, or pretty well anything
else needs a level 7 or more. Which is why the UK population is
so ignorant, and so vulnerable to manipulation by the Murdochs,
Daily Wail and other demagogues.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I read the Daily Mail every day, salt cellar in hand. And I know quite
a few others here do, too. I also read the Daily Telegraph, the Mid
Devon Advertiser, the Totnes Times, Country Life and The Lady
(unexpectedly excellent magazine now, for those who haven't seen it in
years) The Oldie and if totally desperate Aircraft. It's a big
Shavian-style mistake to judge people on the papers they read. I'm
sure you and others, have been open to manipulation in your time. Most
of us have, even if we didn't recognise it as such when it was
happening.

What amuses me is the number of people who inveigh against the DM but
who must, surely, read it to be so confident in their opinions? ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-02-2013, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

I read the Daily Mail every day, salt cellar in hand. And I know quite
a few others here do, too. I also read the Daily Telegraph, the Mid
Devon Advertiser, the Totnes Times, Country Life and The Lady
(unexpectedly excellent magazine now, for those who haven't seen it in
years) The Oldie and if totally desperate Aircraft. It's a big
Shavian-style mistake to judge people on the papers they read. I'm
sure you and others, have been open to manipulation in your time. Most
of us have, even if we didn't recognise it as such when it was
happening.

I was judging the paper, and a regrettable number of its readers,
not all of its readers!

The Lady used to be far better than it was given credit for, and
some really quite good writers used to publish occasional articles
in it. Country Life is a bit tedious, but quite often has one or
two interesting articles.

What amuses me is the number of people who inveigh against the DM but
who must, surely, read it to be so confident in their opinions? ;-)

It's available in the waiting room where I go for my blood pressure
trial appointments. Usual experience is several gross and obvious
falsehoods, invented to support its bigotry, but nothing either
interesting or informative. Then I either give up or get called in.

Now, if they still had Flook :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-02-2013, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Sacha wrote:

[...]

Has Flook gone? :-(( I remember his arrival! Late 1940's? Very early
1950's?

Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, Daily Telegraph were some of the newspapers we
provided in our Hotel Lounge for the Visitors. Daily Sketch as well I
believe.

Certainly not The Sun ;-)

Mike

Old 18-02-2013, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:45:33 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
I was both heartened and disheartened this morning when Ray read a piece
out of the DT to me. Apparently, it is officially acknowledged (not just
us
moaning to each other!) that while they look great and the vision's
wonderful, flat-screen tvs produce really terrible sound. A lot of
people
have resorted to buying a soundbar to improve the clarity. I'm relieved
it's not just us, to be honest. Watching Call The Midwife the other
night,
we lost several seconds of dialogue because of the blasted music and the
blurred dialogue. So it's not just the deaf and ageing! Eh?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Uh! you've think you've got problems? I have a cataract on one eye and
I'm
paying for Sky+HD !!

You can have the cataract problem fixed.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Still waiting!

Bill

Old 18-02-2013, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"usenet2012" wrote in message
In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

You can cancel the HD part of Sky+. (We did, now that our eyes can't tell
the difference.)

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.

True, but I do have a wife to consider :-)

Bill

Old 18-02-2013, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-14 18:45:33 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Oh dear! Can the cataract be dealt with? Friends of ours have had them
done and were astonished at the success. I hope something can be done
about yours, too. We have the minimal Sky account. But when someone makes
a tv that cuts out music soundtrack during speech, I hope someone will
tell us!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I have been assessed, and am now on a waiting list for the op.

Bill