Old 20-02-2013, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT TV sound

On 2013-02-19 16:37:14 +0000, Martin said:

Ray reads the trade mags
and sometimes I glance at them but I can't say I study them that
carefully! Just about my ex-husband's greatest moment was briefly
playing with the Humphrey Lyttleton band when both played at a charity
ball in Jersey. He was on Cloud 9, even if a little restricted by his
evening wear!

Did Ray play the trombone or the drums?

EX husband who was not Ray! My ex played classical guitar but also
'popular' music for fun and was very good. He died some time ago.

Whoops! I missed the ex-
My apologies to you and Ray.

Not a worry. I was amused at the mental image of Ray on the drums!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:04:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:15:44 -0000, Janet wrote:

English city where the average reading age is 7.

Where would that be? With a reference please

Somewhere near the 7 bridge?

Under it, more like. I've never heard of an adult population having
their reading ages tested/recorded.

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Some one "clever" probably did a survey of 50 adults on a council sink
estate and extrapolated the results to cover the whole city.

Having said that a google produces many hits which state the UK average
reading age is around 8 or 9. B-(

Which makes an average reading age of 7 plausible.

http://www.pitsnpots.co.uk/2010/05/w...oblem-locally/
"Councillors had a meeting yesterday with Alan Turley from the LSP
giving an update on progress in a number of areas.

He revealed that 50,000 adults in Stoke-on-Trent are functionally
illiterate (literacy or numeracy). [20% of the population]

I would argue that this has a dramatic impact on the level of literacy
of children and young adults leaving education, as this indicates that
many parents or carers do not have the basic skills to support
children outside of the school environment. ..."
--

As the oldest child (by far) I taught my two brothers to read and write
before they went to school at 5 years old.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Dave Hill wrote:

I think you want to update your facts.
In many the ophthalmic departments of many UK hospitals they are doing
Cataract operations as a day surgery procedure/
You say about about the replacement lens being matched to the eye, I'm
not sure what you mean by this, if you are referring to eye colour then
there is no matching to do as the lens is clear, all the colour of the
eye is in the Iris.

I have to take steroids and they can cause early onset cataracts, which in
my case developed very quickly. I was very long-sighted as well, so I had
reached the point where I could hardly see a thing without super-strong
lenses. Driving at night became impossible because of the glare and it was
very difficult to make out floral details when trying to identify plants.

I had both eyes 'done', one in September '11 and the other January '12 and
in both cases I was in, out and back home in less than 3 hours. The
operation itself takes little more than 20 minutes and is completely
painless.

I disagree. Don't forget the needle inserted into your eyeball.

Old 20-03-2013, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 17/02/2013 02:31, Christina Websell wrote:
"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 17/02/2013 00:56, Christina Websell wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

Having said that a google produces many hits which state the UK
average
reading age is around 8 or 9.

What? Not for my family.

By being higher you cannot drag the lowest or the
average up to your level.

Maybe we were just lucky to be intelligent or maybe our parents made us
go
to school and NOT let us duck out.

Yes, it used to be a constant source of amazement to me how dim some folk
are. Once I left the ivory towers of academia I faffed and wasted and now
work at a post some way below my education. I suppose after 20 years I am
now used to it, that and the fact that some folk seem to have no work
ethic whatsoever.
--
Phil Cook

My eldest nephew is now studying Physics at Bath, I hope he doesn't waste
the opportunity.