Old 19-02-2013, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper & slugs

On 2013-02-19 14:07:52 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:22:34 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

I later read that the
bands of tape need to be close enough together so that the slug/snail
touches the second while still in contact with the first. This is what
gives them the shock and makes them recoil.

Good idea in theory. It would work better with two different metals.
It would be interesting to try one copper band of tape and one
aluminium band of tape.

Steve

I've also heard of people putting a thickish band of Vaseline around a
pot. No idea if it works, as I haven't tried it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

This must be an ancient problem, but still it seems it has not been solved.
Are the slugs smarter than us ?

Old 19-02-2013, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:40:36 AM UTC, Fuschia wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:46:13 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:57:26 PM UTC, wrote:

Thanks everyone. a ring on the ground probably won't work. I'll probably use a slip of wet & dry sandpaper and a rubber band.

A ring on the ground certainly *does* work, very effectively.

When there are other easy short paths for the slugs to get onto the plants?

NT
Old 19-02-2013, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I later read that the
bands of tape need to be close enough together so that the slug/snail
touches the second while still in contact with the first. This is what
gives them the shock and makes them recoil.

Good idea in theory. It would work better with two different metals.
It would be interesting to try one copper band of tape and one
aluminium band of tape.

Steve

I've also heard of people putting a thickish band of Vaseline around a
pot. No idea if it works, as I haven't tried it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

This must be an ancient problem, but still it seems it has not been
solved. Are the slugs smarter than us ?

Single-minded. ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-02-2013, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:18:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:51:49 AM UTC, Fuschia wrote:
wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:57:26 PM UTC, wrote:

Thanks everyone. a ring on the ground probably won't work. I'll probably use a slip of wet & dry sandpaper and a rubber band.

A ring on the ground certainly *does* work, very effectively.

When there are other easy short paths for the slugs to get onto the plants?

I'm speaking from several years of successful use, and that of other
more experienced gardeners who taught me.
But then I listen to advice, rather than asking and then dismissing
it.

So you stand by your assertion that even when the slugs & snails are regularly climbing & traversing the wall the plant's against, copper wire on the ground will still stop them reaching the plant. Well done. There's also a lot of animal digging there, things on the ground don't stay in place long. Aand in the case of wire even if it did stay in place, some of the soil under it wouldnt, and some of the wire would get buried.

And you wonder why I have doubts!

It would have helped if you had said at the outset that the plants
were against a wall and that there was animal digging in the area.
Your rather esoteric reference to "other easy short paths" came late
in the thread and even that didn't hint at digging. And walls are not
necessarily easy short paths. You were given answers on the basis of
the information you supplied.

Fuschia did not make the assertion that you suggest because, as for
the rest of us, knowledge of the wall and digging was absent.

I suggest the use of "sorry" would be appropriate.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 21-02-2013, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

I didn't go into those details as there was no need or point. Fuschia was the one insisting cu wire would work without knowing any relevant details.

NT
Old 21-02-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jake.
I find it strange that the OP should consider putting either "a little
piece of copper wire round a plant's stem" or "a slip of wet & dry
sandpaper and a rubber band" when s/he knew all along (unlike us) that
the wall would equally provide a bypass for these measures as it would
for a ring around the base.

Old 28-02-2013, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bd bd is offline

..h

copper v slugs and snails. Bigal United Kingdom 2 02-04-2012 10:29 AM
Slugs & Copper Floyd Gardening 11 29-01-2006 04:06 AM
Copper Rings to Deter Slugs and Snails M United Kingdom 18 26-01-2006 10:42 PM
Slugs or no slugs Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 04-04-2003 02:20 PM