GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Copper & slugs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206402-copper-slugs.html)

[email protected] 16-02-2013 11:57 PM

Copper & slugs

is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to protect.

NT

Pete C[_2_] 17-02-2013 08:57 AM

Copper & slugs

wrote in message
is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to keep
them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to
protect.

Not sure of the answer to your question, but......whilst copper will deter
slugs at first, once it oxidises it doesn't work very well.
--
Pete C
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/weather/

Bob Hobden 17-02-2013 09:09 AM

Copper & slugs

"Pete C" wrote
wrote in message
is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to
keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to
protect.

Not sure of the answer to your question, but......whilst copper will deter
slugs at first, once it oxidises it doesn't work very well.

I would be concerned about the effect on the water uptake of the plant, they
use copper wire or similar to make damp proof courses using the osmotic
effect.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Fuschia[_3_] 17-02-2013 10:36 AM

Copper & slugs

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:57:26 -0800 (PST), wrote:

is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to protect.

Don't put it round the stem. Make a ring of wire on the ground around
the plant. It works for me.

No Name 17-02-2013 06:34 PM

Copper & slugs

Fuschia wrote:
is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to protect.

Don't put it round the stem. Make a ring of wire on the ground around
the plant. It works for me.

My neighbour uses stripped electrical wire around her hostas.

'Mike'[_4_] 17-02-2013 06:47 PM

Copper & slugs

wrote in message
Fuschia wrote:
is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to
keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to
protect.

Don't put it round the stem. Make a ring of wire on the ground around
the plant. It works for me.

My neighbour uses stripped electrical wire around her hostas.

That's what we use, but it has to be newly stripped off as once it forms a
coating the effect is lost.

Mike

Bill Grey 17-02-2013 08:34 PM

Copper & slugs

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote
wrote in message
is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to
keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to
protect.

Not sure of the answer to your question, but......whilst copper will deter
slugs at first, once it oxidises it doesn't work very well.

I would be concerned about the effect on the water uptake of the plant,
they use copper wire or similar to make damp proof courses using the
osmotic effect.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Will copper around the stem arrest its growth ?

I'm off:, Bill

Pete C[_2_] 17-02-2013 10:37 PM

Copper & slugs

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote
wrote in message
is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to
keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes
to protect.

Not sure of the answer to your question, but......whilst copper will
deter slugs at first, once it oxidises it doesn't work very well.

I would be concerned about the effect on the water uptake of the plant,
they use copper wire or similar to make damp proof courses using the
osmotic effect.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Will copper around the stem arrest its growth ?

I'm off:, Bill

Ahh, you must be 'old bill'?

[email protected] 18-02-2013 07:46 PM

Copper & slugs

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:57:26 PM UTC, wrote:

is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to protect.
NT

Thanks everyone. a ring on the ground probably won't work. I'll probably use a slip of wet & dry sandpaper and a rubber band.

NT

Bill Grey 18-02-2013 08:42 PM

Copper & slugs

"Pete C" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote
wrote in message
is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to
keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes
to protect.

Not sure of the answer to your question, but......whilst copper will
deter slugs at first, once it oxidises it doesn't work very well.

I would be concerned about the effect on the water uptake of the plant,
they use copper wire or similar to make damp proof courses using the
osmotic effect.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Will copper around the stem arrest its growth ?

I'm off:, Bill

Ahh, you must be 'old bill'?
--
Pete C
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/weather/

Right on both counts :-)

Bill

stuart noble 19-02-2013 07:57 AM

Copper & slugs

wrote:

is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem
to keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit
bushes to protect. NT

Thanks everyone. a ring on the ground probably won't work. I'll
probably use a slip of wet & dry sandpaper and a rubber band.

NT

Been there, done that, waste of time.

Fuschia[_3_] 19-02-2013 11:40 AM

Copper & slugs

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:46:13 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:57:26 PM UTC, wrote:

is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to protect.
NT

Thanks everyone. a ring on the ground probably won't work. I'll probably use a slip of wet & dry sandpaper and a rubber band.

A ring on the ground certainly *does* work, very effectively.
The slugs avoid our protected plants and devour similar plants without
the copper. It only works for one season, until the copper goes green,
so we use fresh wire each year.

Pam Moore[_2_] 19-02-2013 01:22 PM

Copper & slugs

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:40:36 +0000, Fuschia
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:46:13 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:57:26 PM UTC, wrote:

is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to protect.
NT

Thanks everyone. a ring on the ground probably won't work. I'll probably use a slip of wet & dry sandpaper and a rubber band.

A ring on the ground certainly *does* work, very effectively.
The slugs avoid our protected plants and devour similar plants without
the copper. It only works for one season, until the copper goes green,
so we use fresh wire each year.

Missed beginning of thread, sorry.
I tried copper sticky-tape round pots one year. Was told to put 2
strips round each pot. I found a snail sitting on a pot between the
two pieces of tape and assumed it didn't work. I later read that the
bands of tape need to be close enough together so that the slug/snail
touches the second while still in contact with the first. This is what
gives them the shock and makes them recoil.

Pam in Bristol

Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] 19-02-2013 02:07 PM

Copper & slugs

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:22:34 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

I later read that the
bands of tape need to be close enough together so that the slug/snail
touches the second while still in contact with the first. This is what
gives them the shock and makes them recoil.

Good idea in theory. It would work better with two different metals.
It would be interesting to try one copper band of tape and one
aluminium band of tape.

Steve

Sacha[_10_] 19-02-2013 02:20 PM

Copper & slugs

wrote:

I later read that the
bands of tape need to be close enough together so that the slug/snail
touches the second while still in contact with the first. This is what
gives them the shock and makes them recoil.

Good idea in theory. It would work better with two different metals.
It would be interesting to try one copper band of tape and one
aluminium band of tape.

Steve

I've also heard of people putting a thickish band of Vaseline around a
pot. No idea if it works, as I haven't tried it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com