Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Birthday present

Ray is very hard to buy presents for but he has a major birthday coming
up and I was stuck until I found these, made in Suffolk by Colin
Thompson. He and his wife, Kay, drove all the way here to deliver them
on Wednesday. I'm happy to say Ray really likes them! The ones I
ordered are 8' tall and the price is remarkably reasonable for
something completely handmade and delivered.
http://www.woodengardenobelisk.co.uk/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hillhou...ry/8513885628/

Colin has also made smaller ones of about 4' to put either side of a
flight of steps, just as a 'punctuation point'. I like also the new
design for sweet pea obelisks. Oh dear!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Ray is very hard to buy presents for but he has a major birthday coming up
and I was stuck until I found these, made in Suffolk by Colin Thompson. He
and his wife, Kay, drove all the way here to deliver them on Wednesday. I'm
happy to say Ray really likes them! The ones I ordered are 8' tall and the
price is remarkably reasonable for something completely handmade and
delivered. http://www.woodengardenobelisk.co.uk/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hillhou...ry/8513885628/

Colin has also made smaller ones of about 4' to put either side of a flight
of steps, just as a 'punctuation point'. I like also the new design for
sweet pea obelisks. Oh dear!!

So what is going up them?

On a similar note, have you seen this...

http://www.pflanzenkindergarten.de/p...d2lks8scoq0k71

As the place is in the EU they should be OK to send here. Unfortunately I
can't read German.
They also have the red one too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-02 17:08:01 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

Ray is very hard to buy presents for but he has a major birthday coming
up and I was stuck until I found these, made in Suffolk by Colin
Thompson. He and his wife, Kay, drove all the way here to deliver them
on Wednesday. I'm happy to say Ray really likes them! The ones I
ordered are 8' tall and the price is remarkably reasonable for
something completely handmade and delivered.
http://www.woodengardenobelisk.co.uk/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hillhou...ry/8513885628/

Colin has also made smaller ones of about 4' to put either side of a
flight of steps, just as a 'punctuation point'. I like also the new
design for sweet pea obelisks. Oh dear!!

So what is going up them?

Probably various Clematis but sweetpeas this year while we grow some
Clematis on to suit them.

On a similar note, have you seen this...

http://www.pflanzenkindergarten.de/p...d2lks8scoq0k71

As the place is in the EU they should be OK to send here. Unfortunately
I can't read German.
They also have the red one too.

The wretched Jade vine! I suspect Ray's given up on that!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-02 17:08:01 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

If you open google they have the translate option, just click on it,
choose your languages and enter the web address and it comes out in English
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/03/2013 17:08, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote

[...]

Strongylodon macrobotrys for €34.90. Not bad. Now all I need is the
€25000 for the greenhouse big enough to grow it...

--

Jeff

Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

I think the RHS Wisley have too, not got one in their new glasshouse so they
lost their cuttings.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/03/2013 22:59, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

Plantasia in Swansea have a beauty, growing like a weed, well it was
when I last went there a couple of years ago.
http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1272
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

RHS Wisley were taking cuttings of all the important plants in their old
glasshouse so they could be moved to the huge new one. I had a friend that
worked there and he got them to take a cutting for Ray. Unfortunately a
junior gardener there left the glasshouse door open on a very frosty night
and you can imagine the outcome.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-02 22:59:15 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote
Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

Did you see the Orchid event is being extended due to demand and interest?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-03 09:12:33 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
snip

The wretched Jade vine! I suspect Ray's given up on that!

I think the RHS Wisley have too, not got one in their new glasshouse so
they lost their cuttings.

Plantasia in Swansea have a beauty, growing like a weed, well it was
when I last went there a couple of years ago.
http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1272

RHS Wisley were taking cuttings of all the important plants in their
old glasshouse so they could be moved to the huge new one. I had a
friend that worked there and he got them to take a cutting for Ray.
Unfortunately a junior gardener there left the glasshouse door open on
a very frosty night and you can imagine the outcome.

That was really sad. He did nurse along the cutting you gave him but
it didn't make it, unfortunately. Some years ago, we saw it growing
like a mad thing in St Kitts and were speechless with envy! It does
seem to give a lot of people a lot of trouble!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 15:29:36 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and I was stuck until I found these, made in Suffolk by Colin Thompson.

Well done you. Those are very nice indeed. I like the little Coral Bark
Maple in the picture too.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 03-03-2013, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-03 11:37:26 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 15:29:36 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and I was stuck until I found these, made in Suffolk by Colin Thompson.

Well done you. Those are very nice indeed. I like the little Coral Bark
Maple in the picture too.

It's suffered a bit from wind damage but battles on quite happily. It's
Sango-kaku, iirc. Yes, the obelisks look great and I'm so glad I found
them. I was racking my brains!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 11:52:32 +0000, Sacha wrote:

It's suffered a bit from wind damage but battles on quite happily. It's
Sango-kaku, iirc. Yes, the obelisks look great and I'm so glad I found
them.

Buying b-day presents for spouses is a bear. I now try to deal with it
some months in advance, otherwise I forget about Adele's birthday until
the last minute, and in August everything is closed in France!

There are a lot of varieties called 'Sango kaku' or 'Senkaki' (normally
considered a synonym) around, with a fair amount of variation. I've seen
some that go completely green in summer, and don't have nearly the impact
yours does. I just found out there is a "real" one, brought in from
Japan, which is meant to be more resistant to black spot (the bane of all
red-barked maples) and holds its colour better than most on the market.
Not the one I'm growing, which is nothing but trouble (but pretty).

There are a few alternate red barked Japanese Acers. Of these I think
Eddisbury or Japanese Sunrise are the best, both much tougher than SK.
I've selected one myself, that holds vivid scarlet bark all year. Too
early in the evaluation to have named it though.

Now, back to the garden, it's been a gorgeous day!

cheers

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 03-03-2013, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-03 16:42:11 +0000, Emery Davis said:

[...]

At my last Jersey house there was a fantastically coloured Acer and I
never knew which it was. It had the red stems but in autumn the leaves
turned the most incredible gold. I've never seen another like it before
or since for intensity of colour. It may be that being against a
granite wall with the subsequent 'bake' in its heat helped with
coloration but it was as if someone had tied a load of guineas to a
tree!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/03/2013 08:31, David Hill wrote:
On 02/03/2013 22:59, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote

http://www.pflanzenkindergarten.de/p...d2lks8scoq0k71
As the place is in the EU they should be OK to send here.
Unfortunately I can't read German.
They also have the red one too.

The wretched Jade vine! I suspect Ray's given up on that!

I think the RHS Wisley have too, not got one in their new glasshouse so
they lost their cuttings.

Plantasia in Swansea have a beauty, growing like a weed, well it was
when I last went there a couple of years ago.
http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1272

There is a large one in the Botanic Garden greenhouse in Cambridge.
They not only get it to flower well, but are one of the few places in
the UK who can regularly get it to fruit. I was there last September,
and wondered what these large seeds were on the ground (and I mean large
- 5 x 3 cm). It wasn't in flower at the time, but I eventually found
the label.

--

Jeff