Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help - quick fix for birds

I have had to take an oversize leylandi tree down near my patio. I had not
realised how much the birds used it ( not for nesting but for perching
whilst getting to the bird feeders).

Now they have nothing to perch on. Can someone suggest a fix for this?
Something I can grow/ put up to give them somewhere to come to and wait
around in whilst feeding?

I have put some bird nesting boxes up for the birds who used its cover for
nesting but most of them were using it as a perching site - flying in and
out.

Thanks for reading and suggestions.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/04/2013 18:38, sweetheart wrote:
I have had to take an oversize leylandi tree down near my patio. I had
not realised how much the birds used it ( not for nesting but for
perching whilst getting to the bird feeders).

Now they have nothing to perch on. Can someone suggest a fix for this?
Something I can grow/ put up to give them somewhere to come to and wait
around in whilst feeding?

I have put some bird nesting boxes up for the birds who used its cover
for nesting but most of them were using it as a perching site - flying
in and out.

Thanks for reading and suggestions.

I posted earlier but it seems to have gone walk about.
Why not suggest your neighbour plants sweet peas along the fence, then
he/she could also plant climbing or rambling roses that will grow into
the remains of the hedge.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 20:04:55 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 03/04/2013 18:38, sweetheart wrote:
I have had to take an oversize leylandi tree down near my patio. I had
not realised how much the birds used it ( not for nesting but for
perching whilst getting to the bird feeders).

Now they have nothing to perch on. Can someone suggest a fix for this?
Something I can grow/ put up to give them somewhere to come to and wait
around in whilst feeding?

I have put some bird nesting boxes up for the birds who used its cover
for nesting but most of them were using it as a perching site - flying
in and out.

Thanks for reading and suggestions.

I posted earlier but it seems to have gone walk about.
Why not suggest your neighbour plants sweet peas along the fence, then
he/she could also plant climbing or rambling roses that will grow into
the remains of the hedge.

Wrong thread, Dave.

In this case, I guess that Sweetheart doesn't want to replace one
over-large tree with another potentially over-large tree and, in any
event, whatever she plants will take time to grow. Chances are that by
the time any planted thing gets big enough the birds will have made
other arrangements. So what about some sort of arch-type structure?

Whilst plastic covered metal things are cheap, they look it. But there
are some very reasonable wooden arch structures available with trellis
all round, just right for something like a climbing rose or clematis.
That would give them something decently sized to perch on, you
something decent to look at and, in due course, a few bugs will no
doubt take up residence to provide an added food source.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay
in between feeding half the UK bird population!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Ohhhhhhhhhh dear!!!!!!!!
Must learn to read when I get over this stinking cold I have now had for
the past 10 days.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Lets try a couple of 8ft posts with climbing roses up them, look good,
safe perches

Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you all for the ideas. They are excellent. I will be putting in an
arch. frame thing and cover it as suggested.
Really appreciate the help.

( Dave - hope your cold gets better soon).

Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
I have had to take an oversize leylandi tree down near my patio. I had
not realised how much the birds used it ( not for nesting but for perching
whilst getting to the bird feeders).

Now they have nothing to perch on. Can someone suggest a fix for this?
Something I can grow/ put up to give them somewhere to come to and wait
around in whilst feeding?

I have put some bird nesting boxes up for the birds who used its cover for
nesting but most of them were using it as a perching site - flying in and
out.

Thanks for reading and suggestions.

I had a nice conifer - one of the pines (Xmas tree) which attracted
Goldcrests in abundance. Alas I had to fell the tree and since then I've not
seen a Goldcrest.

Bill

Old 13-04-2013, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 20:28:52 +0100, "Bill Grey" wrote:

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
I have had to take an oversize leylandi tree down near my patio. I had
not realised how much the birds used it ( not for nesting but for perching
whilst getting to the bird feeders).

Now they have nothing to perch on. Can someone suggest a fix for this?
Something I can grow/ put up to give them somewhere to come to and wait
around in whilst feeding?

I have put some bird nesting boxes up for the birds who used its cover for
nesting but most of them were using it as a perching site - flying in and
out.

Thanks for reading and suggestions.

I had a nice conifer - one of the pines (Xmas tree) which attracted
Goldcrests in abundance. Alas I had to fell the tree and since then I've not
seen a Goldcrest.

Bill

Don't forget that it is not just perching that they are doing, but sheltering safely away
from potential predators while they get to feed, so some cover would be good too.

Kath