Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beechgrove Reminder

For those who can get BBC2 Scotland (Sky and FreeSat can; don't know
about Virgin as there are none round here to ask) Beechgrove starts
tonight at 7.30pm.

It will then be repeated on BBC2 nationally (including BBC2HD) on
Sunday at 9.30am.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where it got
dark today an hour earlier than a week ago!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2013 09:00, The Original Jake wrote:
For those who can get BBC2 Scotland (Sky and FreeSat can; don't know
about Virgin as there are none round here to ask) Beechgrove starts
tonight at 7.30pm.

It will then be repeated on BBC2 nationally (including BBC2HD) on
Sunday at 9.30am.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Jake

I shall record it all and fast forward through Mr beardshaw!!

I think the original four presenters did a marvellous job and don't need
jazzing up with personalities ..................

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2013 15:02, Martin wrote:
Thanks. We had forgotten.

I had't it has Chris B. in it now ................
We'll wait and see how they try and downgrade the whole thing .
Shouldn't take long they can usually ruin a series within about three weeks
--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post
On 04/04/2013 15:02, Martin wrote:
Thanks. We had forgotten.

I had't it has Chris B. in it now ................
We'll wait and see how they try and downgrade the whole thing .
Shouldn't take long they can usually ruin a series within about three weeks
--
Janet T.
Amersham
I do like the way you all are determined not to like it before you even see it.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 09:54, Granity wrote:
I do like the way you all are determined not to like it before you even
see it.

eh? we've all been watching it for several years now Granity and
frequently have urged others to watch it.

Unfortunately it has now been 'nationalised' and instead of the four
unassuming, expert gardeners who used to be the presenters and did a
really good down to earth job, we now have 'personalities charging
around 'helping' people in their gardens. No doubt they'll show him
jumping over stiles and gates or winging his way around in a helicopter etc.

Always liked Beechgrove up till now, will still enjoy the other bits IF
and only if they don't try to 'gardeners-world' it all.

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Original Jake wrote in
:

For those who can get BBC2 Scotland (Sky and FreeSat can; don't know
about Virgin as there are none round here to ask) Beechgrove starts
tonight at 7.30pm.

It will then be repeated on BBC2 nationally (including BBC2HD) on
Sunday at 9.30am.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where it got
dark today an hour earlier than a week ago!

We have it on Virgin, havn't watched it yet.
I like to save things like that for a rainier day, how ever tempting it
might be to have a peek.
Thanks for the reminder.

Baz
Old 05-04-2013, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 10:59, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 05/04/2013 09:54, Granity wrote:
I do like the way you all are determined not to like it before you even
see it.

eh? we've all been watching it for several years now Granity and
frequently have urged others to watch it.

Unfortunately it has now been 'nationalised' and instead of the four
unassuming, expert gardeners who used to be the presenters and did a
really good down to earth job, we now have 'personalities charging
around 'helping' people in their gardens. No doubt they'll show him
jumping over stiles and gates or winging his way around in a helicopter
etc.

Always liked Beechgrove up till now, will still enjoy the other bits IF
and only if they don't try to 'gardeners-world' it all.

Broadly speaking, Janet, I agree with you. I *hate* jazzed up, hyped
up, "cool" gardening shows. However, it is just possible that, now
B'grove has become a national programme, the producers are bound to want
some national content to keep their new viewers happy. It is also
possible that the original four presenters don't want to take on those
'travel and trowel' jobs away from their home territory.

I have missed the first prog, but will catch up with it soon and then
offer my opinion. I'm certainly not going to consign it to the compost
heap yet. The original is so earthy, helpful and inspiring that I
shan't give up without a fight.

I do hope you are able to enjoy it.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 16:41, Martin wrote:

applause

gracious curtsey

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 17:17, Spider wrote:
It is also possible that the original four presenters don't want to take
on those 'travel and trowel' jobs away from their home territory.

ah but the presenters did travel around but gave good sound advice about
sensible predicaments like trying to solve front garden dilemmas on a
new estate and even helped schools build gardens. They did mainly travel
around Scotland but then they didn't try and convince the owners to
plant Phormiums etc.

I can't see why they have to nationalise it, why not (now here's a good
idea)copy them and do a similar programme from England and Wales.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 17:17:06 +0100, Spider wrote:

I have missed the first prog, but will catch up with it soon and then
offer my opinion.

You have not missed the first programme. BBC2 nationally (including
Scotland and BBC2HD) Sunday morning 9.30am.

And of course, iPlayer.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 06-04-2013, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 18:09, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 05/04/2013 17:17, Spider wrote:
It is also possible that the original four presenters don't want to take
on those 'travel and trowel' jobs away from their home territory.

ah but the presenters did travel around but gave good sound advice about
sensible predicaments like trying to solve front garden dilemmas on a
new estate and even helped schools build gardens. They did mainly travel
around Scotland but then they didn't try and convince the owners to
plant Phormiums etc.

I can't see why they have to nationalise it, why not (now here's a good
idea)copy them and do a similar programme from England and Wales.

Indeed, that is an excellent idea! Alas, it is probably called
Gardeners' World. I have been watching GW, but I ache for the days when
Geoff Hamilton presented it. He inspired both old and new gardeners
alike. Sigh.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 21:44, The Original Jake wrote:
On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 17:17:06 +0100, wrote:

I have missed the first prog, but will catch up with it soon and then
offer my opinion.

You have not missed the first programme. BBC2 nationally (including
Scotland and BBC2HD) Sunday morning 9.30am.

And of course, iPlayer.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where it got
dark today an hour earlier than a week ago!

Oooh! Thanks, Jake, you're a gem. Must start copying it, so I can
watch it in the evening. Great!.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/04/2013 12:38, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 12:07:16 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Beechgrove was a celeb free programme for pragmatic gardeners.

Agreed. Refreshingly down to earth and informative. Gardening doesn't
need celebs; in fact, they detract from it. The camera should be on the
plants, landscape or, as required, on the hands of the presenter if a
technique is being demonstrated.

I want a gardening programme that inspires me to get out in the garden.
Celebs that 'sell' gardening have the same effect as shop assistants
who try to sell me something: they just make me walk out. A genuine,
expert gardener (self-taught is as good as certificated to me) whose
down-to-earth enthusiasm glows from within and who inspires by example
is just what we want. To some extent, Monty Don does that, but I still
think that Toby Buckland, *left to his own devices*, could have filled
that gap that St. Geoff vacated.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/04/2013 10:52, Martin wrote:
Presents Janet with a bunch of flowers, steps backwards into the
orchestra pit followed by shouts of Encore!

we should have been shouting 'author, author'

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Beechgrove Jake United Kingdom 2 31-08-2012 11:55 AM
Last Reminder - Beechgrove Garden Jake United Kingdom 0 29-03-2012 07:18 PM
Beechgrove Garden Jake United Kingdom 3 17-02-2012 07:05 PM
Beechgrove garden programme Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 2 07-09-2009 04:37 PM