GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   First cut (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206751-first-cut.html)

Muddymike[_2_] 08-04-2013 11:32 AM

First cut

I dug out my old Hayter Harrier 56 mower on Saturday to give the lawns their
first cut of the season. I don't use this machine very often but like to use
it for the first cut as the roller flattens down all the little lumps that
have pushed up over the winter. Its single direct drive blade is better than
the twin, belt driven, blades on the ride on mower for clearing up all the
bits of stick and other debris as well.
I was expecting a struggle to get it started, the battery died several years
ago and as I don't use it much I didn't bother replacing it plus I didn't
use it at all last year so its two years since I last started it. I was
pleasantly surprised when it fired up second pull!.

However, it was the first time I have cut the grass around a snow drift!

Mike

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 08-04-2013 05:17 PM

First cut

In article
,
says...

I dug out my old Hayter Harrier 56 mower on Saturday to give the lawns their
first cut of the season. I don't use this machine very often but like to use
it for the first cut as the roller flattens down all the little lumps that
have pushed up over the winter. Its single direct drive blade is better than
the twin, belt driven, blades on the ride on mower for clearing up all the
bits of stick and other debris as well.
I was expecting a struggle to get it started, the battery died several years
ago and as I don't use it much I didn't bother replacing it plus I didn't
use it at all last year so its two years since I last started it. I was
pleasantly surprised when it fired up second pull!.

However, it was the first time I have cut the grass around a snow drift!

Mike

I took the top off my back lawn this afternoon, maily
revealing all the moss!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Baz[_3_] 08-04-2013 06:10 PM

First cut

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

In article
,
says...

[...]

Same here. Another job to do. So I think I will get Green Thumb or another
lawn treatment company in to do it,£18 to treat moss and also feed, so not
too bad. Too many other jobs to do which would have already been done if it
wasn't for the rotten weather we have all had.

Baz