Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Well, thats it, seeded and/or planted.

We just have to wait.
No doubt some or even all will come to nowt.
Of course the brassicas will need pricking out. as will others like
tomatoes, cucumbers and such. Its a personal relief to get so far.

Baz
Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:36:30 GMT, Baz wrote:

We just have to wait.
No doubt some or even all will come to nowt.
Of course the brassicas will need pricking out. as will others like
tomatoes, cucumbers and such. Its a personal relief to get so far.

Baz

How's the plum tree doing? Mine is showing about as much sign of life
as a dead duck. I had expected something like a bud opening by now!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:36:30 GMT, Baz wrote:

We just have to wait.
No doubt some or even all will come to nowt.
Of course the brassicas will need pricking out. as will others like
tomatoes, cucumbers and such. Its a personal relief to get so far.

Baz

How's the plum tree doing? Mine is showing about as much sign of life
as a dead duck. I had expected something like a bud opening by now!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!

I thought it was a gonner so I bought another, better looking one for £10
and planted it in a temporary site. If the origional one was indeed a
gonner then I would dig it up and plant the new one there.
As it happens, it is showing signs of life, faint but unmistakable
yellow/green shoots all over.
So now I have 2! Where to place the 2nd one permanently is going to be
difficult. I might give one of them away.

Is there nothing at all on yours? As you know, you have to have a sharp eye
to see the new growth starting. I bet you any money that yours perks up and
shows you that it is not a dead duck.

Best of luck.
Baz
Old 14-04-2013, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
We just have to wait.
No doubt some or even all will come to nowt.
Of course the brassicas will need pricking out. as will others like
tomatoes, cucumbers and such. Its a personal relief to get so far.

I've come back off holiday and found loads of little bush tomatoes
all fit and healthy on the window sill, loads of beans, and loads of
healthy courgettes, butternut and sweetcorn that the boys did.

Oddly, the courgettes Daniel planted are doing far less well than
those Benjamin did, for no clearly apparent reason.

1 totally failed to germinate tray of cabbage, moved all the caulis
and leeks out to the greenhouse before we went, and - oh, I'd better
go check the greenhouse sweetpeas survived us being away!

Yet again, for the umpteenth year running, I didn't sow any of the
flower seeds I meant to. I think all the seeds are now many years
out of date. I may have to just nip ou tthere and sprinkle them all
over the flower beds and see what makes it!

Old 14-04-2013, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

stuart noble wrote:
Yet again, for the umpteenth year running, I didn't sow any of the
flower seeds I meant to. I think all the seeds are now many years
out of date. I may have to just nip ou tthere and sprinkle them all
over the flower beds and see what makes it!

I have never known vacuum packed flower seeds not germinate, however out
of date

Interesting. Specifically for flowers? I have plenty of non-germinating
veg seeds, for example. But flowers always seem to be way down the list
of priorities when finding time and spraff to plant things. :-/
Old 14-04-2013, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:13:54 GMT, Baz wrote:

Is there nothing at all on yours? As you know, you have to have a sharp eye
to see the new growth starting. I bet you any money that yours perks up and
shows you that it is not a dead duck.

You were right Baz! A couple of warm days and what was looking a
decidedly dead plum tree now has tiny green bud tips showing all over
it! The pear tree is also showing signs of life. Now I'm waiting for
the Braeburn apple to catch up with the gala and golden delicious
trees which are all starting to leaf up nicely.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 15-04-2013, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:13:54 GMT, Baz wrote:

Is there nothing at all on yours? As you know, you have to have a
sharp eye to see the new growth starting. I bet you any money that
yours perks up and shows you that it is not a dead duck.

You were right Baz! A couple of warm days and what was looking a
decidedly dead plum tree now has tiny green bud tips showing all over
it! The pear tree is also showing signs of life. Now I'm waiting for
the Braeburn apple to catch up with the gala and golden delicious
trees which are all starting to leaf up nicely.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!

Thats it then!
Competition ON! Joking.
Will we get fruit this year on a young tree? I am hoping so. If only a two
or three.
The old Conference pear has been showing buds for 2 or 3 weeks now and it
is probably its last. I have a new one about 3' high and let it mature a
bit for 2 or 3 years then the old one is firewood.
A long term plan for the impatient, as I am, but the deed has to be done
and we have to start somewhere.

The very best of luck to you, not only the Vic. but everything.
Baz