GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   first cuckoo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206806-first-cuckoo.html)

Emery Davis[_3_] 14-04-2013 07:21 PM

first cuckoo

First cuckoo heard today, off in the valley a little, but a welcome
sound. 20C and sunny today in Normandy, with a brisk wind, spring
flowers, just about dry enough to do some planting. Not bad!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

No Name 14-04-2013 08:36 PM

first cuckoo

Emery Davis wrote:
First cuckoo heard today, off in the valley a little, but a welcome
sound. 20C and sunny today in Normandy, with a brisk wind, spring
flowers, just about dry enough to do some planting. Not bad!

I heard my first /ever/ cuckoo on holiday this week!

David Hill 14-04-2013 08:58 PM

first cuckoo

On 14/04/2013 20:36, wrote:
Emery Davis wrote:
First cuckoo heard today, off in the valley a little, but a welcome
sound. 20C and sunny today in Normandy, with a brisk wind, spring
flowers, just about dry enough to do some planting. Not bad!

I heard my first /ever/ cuckoo on holiday this week!

I thought we had had them posting here all winter.

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 14-04-2013 09:04 PM

first cuckoo

In article ,
says...

On 14/04/2013 20:36,
wrote:
Emery Davis wrote:
First cuckoo heard today, off in the valley a little, but a welcome
sound. 20C and sunny today in Normandy, with a brisk wind, spring
flowers, just about dry enough to do some planting. Not bad!

I heard my first /ever/ cuckoo on holiday this week!

I thought we had had them posting here all winter.

I wonder who you're thinking of!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Emery Davis[_3_] 14-04-2013 09:08 PM

first cuckoo

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:36:34 +0000, vicky wrote:

I heard my first /ever/ cuckoo on holiday this week!

Wow, that's a cause for celebration! :) It is a beautiful call... We're
lucky to have them all spring, until (as I understand it) their voices
change.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

David Rance[_6_] 14-04-2013 10:28 PM

first cuckoo

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 Emery Davis wrote:

First cuckoo heard today, off in the valley a little, but a welcome
sound. 20C and sunny today in Normandy, with a brisk wind, spring
flowers, just about dry enough to do some planting. Not bad!

We heard one in the Suisse Normande last Wednesday.

David

Phil Cook 15-04-2013 01:38 AM

first cuckoo

On 14/04/2013 21:08, Emery Davis wrote:
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:36:34 +0000, vicky wrote:

I heard my first /ever/ cuckoo on holiday this week!

Wow, that's a cause for celebration! :) It is a beautiful call... We're
lucky to have them all spring, until (as I understand it) their voices
change.

Males do the actual cuckooing from prominent places for to attract
Mrs. Cuckoo. She has a call not unlike a hawk (which cuckoos mimic
visually) to scare off potential hosts.
--
Phil Cook

Sacha[_10_] 15-04-2013 11:55 AM

first cuckoo

On 2013-04-14 21:08:23 +0100, Emery Davis said:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:36:34 +0000, vicky wrote:

I heard my first /ever/ cuckoo on holiday this week!

Wow, that's a cause for celebration! :) It is a beautiful call... We're
lucky to have them all spring, until (as I understand it) their voices
change.

The last we heard was in Tresco about 13 years ago! It was also the
first we'd heard for a lot longer than that. But to my relief and
delight the tawny owls were calling last night at around 11pm.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

kay 15-04-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] (Post 980969)
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:36:34 +0000, vicky wrote:

I heard my first /ever/ cuckoo on holiday this week!

Wow, that's a cause for celebration! :) It is a beautiful call... We're
lucky to have them all spring, until (as I understand it) their voices
change.

The cuckoo comes in April
He sings his song in May
He changes his tune in the middle of June
And then he flies away

Bob Hobden 15-04-2013 11:25 PM

first cuckoo

"Emery Davis" wrote ...

First cuckoo heard today, off in the valley a little, but a welcome
sound. 20C and sunny today in Normandy, with a brisk wind, spring
flowers, just about dry enough to do some planting. Not bad!

You may find this site interesting regarding their long migration...

http://www.bto.org/science/migration...uckoo-tracking

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Emery Davis[_3_] 16-04-2013 10:00 AM

first cuckoo

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 23:25:20 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

You may find this site interesting regarding their long migration...

http://www.bto.org/science/migration...uckoo-tracking

Thanks very much Bob, that's a fascinating project. I have to say I could
spend a lot of time following, it's a better looking "reality show" than
most of TV!

cheers for that,

-E

--