GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   soil temp. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206815-soil-temp.html)

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 15-04-2013 07:18 PM

soil temp.

been told of an interesting site that has a list showing 'best' soil
temperatures for the germination of vegetables. Not sure who does the
actual website but it is quite interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/czvw2sk
--
Janet T.
Amersham

Baz[_3_] 16-04-2013 10:42 AM

soil temp.

Janet Tweedy wrote in :

http://tinyurl.com/czvw2sk

That is a useful site.

Thanks for it.
Baz

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 16-04-2013 11:47 AM

soil temp.

On 16/04/2013 10:42, Baz wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/czvw2sk

That is a useful site.

Thanks for it.

I thought so too Baz, not sure who does the actual website but the
information fr the soil temperatures for germination seems fairly correct

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Baz[_3_] 16-04-2013 12:05 PM

soil temp.

Janet Tweedy wrote in :

On 16/04/2013 10:42, Baz wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/czvw2sk

That is a useful site.

Thanks for it.

I thought so too Baz, not sure who does the actual website but the
information fr the soil temperatures for germination seems fairly correct

Yes, it is interesting when you get a packet of seeds and they say sow, on
a certain month and harvest in a few other months. That is OK. This year
and last year have to me been not been so. We need this. Anyway, at least I
do.

Baz

Bertie Doe 16-04-2013 07:47 PM

soil temp.

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message ...

been told of an interesting site that has a list showing 'best' soil
temperatures for the germination of vegetables. Not sure who does the
actual website but it is quite interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/czvw2sk

I plant seed potato when the soil reaches 5C at a depth of 4 inches. My
'earlies' went in a week ago.

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 16-04-2013 10:47 PM

soil temp.

On 16/04/2013 12:05, Baz wrote:
We need this. Anyway, at least I
do.

Baz

I thought some of the temperatures needed were very interesting and
would explain why people are getting poor germination . i am off to buy
a soil thermometer!

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Baz[_3_] 17-04-2013 12:02 PM

soil temp.

"Bertie Doe" wrote in news:at5kmnFip9aU1
@mid.individual.net:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message ...

been told of an interesting site that has a list showing 'best' soil
temperatures for the germination of vegetables. Not sure who does the
actual website but it is quite interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/czvw2sk

I plant seed potato when the soil reaches 5C at a depth of 4 inches. My
'earlies' went in a week ago.

My earlies went in at roughly the same time. Surely the temp. does not
matter? I sometimes get a nice boiling from volunteers(ones missed from
previous crop which grow). They have been there for well over a year and
not rotted or gotten frost.
One year I will try and get a row in at November at say, 6" and see what
comes up in spring. Of course they will have to be insulated with a bit of
stuff such as leaves or any rotting vegetation, even horse manure. As in
their natural way of growing when..........

Baz

stuart noble 17-04-2013 06:51 PM

soil temp.

On 17/04/2013 12:02, Baz wrote:
[...]

I notice the seeds from Aldi/Lidl specify the soil temperature required
for germination.