Old 18-04-2013, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wind, gusty and then more wind and gusts

It is our day to get our recycling bins emptied of plastic and cardboard.
The wind has blown all of them over, and most of the contents are in our
and neighbours gardens. What a mess. It has bin(pun)like this for weeks now
with that wind. Just how Feb. should be IME. Not April.
Probably Thatcher is having it's last laugh at us humans?

Who knows.
Baz

Old 18-04-2013, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2013 12:18, Baz wrote:
It is our day to get our recycling bins emptied of plastic and cardboard.

What tends to happen around here is that the emptied bins blow away
until they fall into a ditch or hit a tree!

The wind has blown all of them over, and most of the contents are in our
and neighbours gardens. What a mess. It has bin(pun)like this for weeks now
with that wind. Just how Feb. should be IME. Not April.

It is still sort of OK since the spring has been so cold until now that
the trees are not in leaf. It has snapped a couple of branches on one of
my big fir trees though. When it calms down they will need lopping.

Only had a couple of serious days of wind causing actual damage recently
in N Yorks. The previous was about a month ago.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-04-2013, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:04:10 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:18:01 GMT, Baz wrote:

It is our day to get our recycling bins emptied of plastic and cardboard.
The wind has blown all of them over, and most of the contents are in our
and neighbours gardens. What a mess. It has bin(pun)like this for weeks now
with that wind. Just how Feb. should be IME. Not April.
Probably Thatcher is having it's last laugh at us humans?

We don't even get a bin. we are expected to stack plastic on the
pavement on the day that is collected. Cardboard & paper are stacked
lose on the pavement and are collected on a different day.
We are provided with three containers - one for organic, one for
inorganic and a small container for chemical waste. Glass has to be
put in a bottle bank which is about 100 metres away. Heavy waste is
collected on request so long as the biggest dimension of an item is
less than a metre. Anything else has to be delivered to the waste
disposal yard. We had an undamaged painted asbestos panel on the
house,whenw e removed it, they provided a sort of large body bag for
it and accepted the bag and contents at the yard without charge.

How much chemical wate do you and your neighbours have?

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-04-2013, 04:22 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
Glass has to be
put in a bottle bank which is about 100 metres away.
You're lucky!
Glass has to be taken to a waste reycling centre, or to a bottle bank, the nearest to us being almost a mile away.

We have recycling collections (plastic, cardboard, tins) once a month. I'd much prefer a two-weekly "black bin" collection and a two weekly recycling collection.
__________________
Old 18-04-2013, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-18 13:56:15 +0100, Baz said:

Janet wrote in
T:

In article ,
says...

It is our day to get our recycling bins emptied of plastic and
cardboard. The wind has blown all of them over, and most of the
contents are in our and neighbours gardens. What a mess. It has
bin(pun)like this for weeks now with that wind. Just how Feb. should
be IME. Not April. Probably Thatcher is having it's last laugh at us
humans?

Who knows.
Baz

Wrong PM. "Wind of change" was Macmillan's slogan.

Janet

Who mentioned PM? and wind of change?
I was refering to a specific cretin. Begining with T and ending with
hatcher.

Baz

You know what, she's dead. Give it - and her - a rest please. To keep on
slagging off the dead is offensive in any case to a lot of people and it
doesn't necessarily jibe with everyone's political views on here, so
it's rude to assume all think the same. And politics shouldn't enter
into a gardening group in any case. And no, I didn't vote for her or
anyone else back then, because at the time she was in power I was unable
to vote in England.

In any case one shouldn't overestimate the importance of the individual.
If it hadn't been her, it would have been someone else, because the time
was right.
RIP, surely we're all entitled to that
Old 18-04-2013, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-18 13:56:15 +0100, Baz said:

Janet wrote in
T:

In article ,
says...

[...]

The phrase that 'people who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones'
would seem to apply to Baz here. I am tired of his 'ever so 'umble'
attitude toward gardening and his very real mental instability. Time
to killfile him I think.

Phil

Old 18-04-2013, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-18 13:56:15 +0100, Baz said:

Janet wrote in
T:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I happened to answer Baz's post but he's not the only one who's
hammered this subject to pieces. My post wasn't directed solely at him
but at all those who think this is a place to air contentious political
views. The one thing that WAS good about urg was the lack of that sort
of thing and the unifying factor of all being interested in gardening,
whatever rosettes we wear at yawn-time! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-04-2013, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:30:54 +0100, David Hill wrote:

put in a bottle bank which is about 100 metres away.

You're lucky!

Glass has to be taken to a waste reycling centre, or to a bottle bank,
the nearest to us being almost a mile away.

Nearer 3 for us. B-)

We have recycling collections (plastic, cardboard, tins) once a month.

Fortnightly hard plastic, card/paper, bottles and tins.

I'd much prefer a two-weekly "black bin" collection and a two weekly
recycling collection.

About the only stuff that goes in the "land fill" bag is plastic
films/bags from food packaging.

I took 3 bags of plastic to the recycling yesterday and had a set to
with one of the workers there I had a bag from a neighbouring authority
and he said I shouldn't bring it to his centre.

He he, I'm waiting for that to happen to me. The nearest HWRC is in
another county, the most convenient is also in another county. Cartons
being the only recyclable item that don't get taken from the doorstep get
taken there.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 19-04-2013, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Gurr" wrote in
:

On 2013-04-18 13:56:15 +0100, Baz said:

Janet wrote in
T:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Yes, I think it is. Put the loony in your killfile.

Baz
Old 19-04-2013, 12:51 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_10_] View Post

You know what, she's dead. Give it - and her - a rest please. To keep
on slagging off the dead is offensive in any case to a lot of people
and it doesn't necessarily jibe with everyone's political views on
here, so it's rude to assume all think the same. And politics shouldn't
enter into a gardening group in any case.
Agreed, but there's a whole thread on here eulogising her, and that doesn't fit in with everyone's political views either.