GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Kiwi Fruit "Jenny" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206860-kiwi-fruit-jenny.html)

Baz[_3_] 20-04-2013 02:41 PM

Kiwi Fruit "Jenny"

There was a thread a while ago about wintering the plant.
My second of the 2 that I have tried is starting to show life. I had given
up on it. I don't expect any fruit for years yet, but it is there and I'm
glad that I left it and not ditched it, as I was going to do.

Does anyone get fruit from theirs? I would be interested to know.

Baz

No Name 20-04-2013 03:52 PM

Kiwi Fruit "Jenny"

Baz wrote:
There was a thread a while ago about wintering the plant.
My second of the 2 that I have tried is starting to show life. I had given
up on it. I don't expect any fruit for years yet, but it is there and I'm
glad that I left it and not ditched it, as I was going to do.

Does anyone get fruit from theirs? I would be interested to know.

Ours (well, Nick's) is probably the same age as yours. I was also a
bit worried it wasn't showing any sign of life, but last weekend I
had a look and it seems to be getting buds.

[email protected] 21-04-2013 04:10 PM

Kiwi Fruit "Jenny"

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:41:24 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:

There was a thread a while ago about wintering the plant.
My second of the 2 that I have tried is starting to show life. I had given
up on it. I don't expect any fruit for years yet, but it is there and I'm
glad that I left it and not ditched it, as I was going to do.

Does anyone get fruit from theirs? I would be interested to know.

Baz

Mine was cut down by frost shortly after planting, but is now sprouting afresh.

NT

Baz[_3_] 22-04-2013 11:54 AM

Kiwi Fruit "Jenny"

wrote in
:

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:41:24 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:

There was a thread a while ago about wintering the plant.
My second of the 2 that I have tried is starting to show life. I had
given up on it. I don't expect any fruit for years yet, but it is
there and I'm glad that I left it and not ditched it, as I was going
to do.

Does anyone get fruit from theirs? I would be interested to know.

Baz

Mine was cut down by frost shortly after planting, but is now
sprouting afresh.

NT

Nice one! It should, I hope, thrive now it has got warmer.
Good luck with it
Baz
..

[email protected] 22-04-2013 10:50 PM

Kiwi Fruit "Jenny"

On Monday, April 22, 2013 11:54:59 AM UTC+1, Baz wrote:
wrote in

:
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:41:24 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:

Mine was cut down by frost shortly after planting, but is now

sprouting afresh.

Nice one! It should, I hope, thrive now it has got warmer.

Good luck with it
Baz

Ta. The main threat now is cats. Some ignore it, some won't leave it alone. So its caged, but I know how determined cats are!

NT

David Hill 23-04-2013 08:49 AM

Kiwi Fruit "Jenny"

On 22/04/2013 22:50, wrote:
On Monday, April 22, 2013 11:54:59 AM UTC+1, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:41:24 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:

Mine was cut down by frost shortly after planting, but is now
sprouting afresh.

Nice one! It should, I hope, thrive now it has got warmer.

Good luck with it
Baz

Ta. The main threat now is cats. Some ignore it, some won't leave it alone. So its caged, but I know how determined cats are!

NT

On the topic of Kiwi fruit.
How should they be pruned?

news 23-04-2013 10:24 AM

Kiwi Fruit "Jenny"

In article , David Hill
writes
On the topic of Kiwi fruit.
How should they be pruned?

I'm interested in hearing any experience of that, too. I've had Jenny
for a good while but never seen a flower even though it puts on a lot of
vine and attractive leaf in a season and looks very healthy. South-ish
westish location (north Wiltshire near Gloucester and Oxford boundaries)

Had it in a pot for a couple of years, but it got weevilled - so took it
out, washed it all off and put it in the ground - so it now grows up a
SouthSouth west house wall. It is well drained but also gets plenty of
moisture - its a gable wall with no overhang, and the run off from the
hill part of the garden is channeled in a soakaway that it is adjacent
to.

It has been in the ground for 6 years now - I'd guess the plant itself
is probably 9 or 10 years old. It gets fed during the season with a
fruit/flower fertilizer (as opposed to a high nitrogen one).

I've tried no specific pruning regime so far - other than cutting back
the really long new growth at the end of the season.

--
regards andyw