Old 21-04-2013, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedgehogs

Please watch out for them if tidying up your garden. There have been
quite a few reports of some being unintentionally disturbed. They're
not all ready to wake up yet and there's not a lot for them to forage
on, so if you do see them/disturb them, you may have to feed them. This
site gives a good idea of what to feed http://thehedgehog.co.uk/diet.htm
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-04-2013, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:45:49 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Please watch out for them if tidying up your garden. There have been
quite a few reports of some being unintentionally disturbed. They're not
all ready to wake up yet and there's not a lot for them to forage on, so
if you do see them/disturb them, you may have to feed them. This site
gives a good idea of what to feed http://thehedgehog.co.uk/diet.htm

I am afraid that, to my shame, I killed one on the road last WE. By the
time I saw him I had no choice but to try and straddle him with the car.
The wind of the passage must have pulled him off the ground and bounced
him off the undercarriage. Very depressing. L(

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 22-04-2013, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-21 22:51:15 +0100, Emery Davis said:

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:45:49 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Please watch out for them if tidying up your garden. There have been
quite a few reports of some being unintentionally disturbed. They're not
all ready to wake up yet and there's not a lot for them to forage on, so
if you do see them/disturb them, you may have to feed them. This site
gives a good idea of what to feed http://thehedgehog.co.uk/diet.htm

I am afraid that, to my shame, I killed one on the road last WE. By the
time I saw him I had no choice but to try and straddle him with the car.
The wind of the passage must have pulled him off the ground and bounced
him off the undercarriage. Very depressing. L(

Horrible for both of you but you did try to miss! Unfortunately, they
do get flattened every so often. We rarely see them here at all but
wish we did!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-04-2013, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-21 22:51:15 +0100, Emery Davis said:

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:45:49 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Please watch out for them if tidying up your garden. There have been
quite a few reports of some being unintentionally disturbed. They're not
all ready to wake up yet and there's not a lot for them to forage on, so
if you do see them/disturb them, you may have to feed them. This site
gives a good idea of what to feed http://thehedgehog.co.uk/diet.htm

I am afraid that, to my shame, I killed one on the road last WE. By the
time I saw him I had no choice but to try and straddle him with the car.
The wind of the passage must have pulled him off the ground and bounced
him off the undercarriage. Very depressing. L(

Horrible for both of you but you did try to miss! Unfortunately, they
do get flattened every so often. We rarely see them here at all but
wish we did!

They are known to carry Foot & Mouth disease, but that's seldom
mentioned. It would be a tragic disaster if the campaign against
badgers were to prove ineffectual because other vectors for the
disease had been ignored and proved to be significant.

How to roast a hedgehog
Worth a read, despite the title.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...es-754940.html
Old 28-04-2013, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Badgers are blamed for the spread of bTB; bTB is also carried by
hedgehogs (more common in NZ than UK)

Hedgehogs just have a better publicity agent than badgers :-)

http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/ques...ehogs.html#bTB

Janet

Don't say NZ Farmers are sending their Hedgehogs over to try to disrupt
our dairy farming