GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grass in bottom of garden pots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206876-grass-bottom-garden-pots.html)

Dave West[_4_] 21-04-2013 12:02 PM

Grass in bottom of garden pots

Using one of those 'claw' type rakes we have just tidied the garden and now
have a mass of rough grass rakings complete with quite a lot of roots
attached.

Is there any reason not to use such tidyings in the 'bottom' of garden pots
to reduce the amount of soil and compost needed to be used in the pots? The
pots will be for outdoor plants in the garden.

Pam Moore[_2_] 23-04-2013 03:19 PM

Grass in bottom of garden pots

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 12:02:39 +0100, "Dave West"
wrote:

Using one of those 'claw' type rakes we have just tidied the garden and now
have a mass of rough grass rakings complete with quite a lot of roots
attached.

Is there any reason not to use such tidyings in the 'bottom' of garden pots
to reduce the amount of soil and compost needed to be used in the pots? The
pots will be for outdoor plants in the garden.

Yes, I have done so. You can also use the moss thatch from lawns to
line hanging baskets.
If there are seeding weeds, I'd not use tham, though buried deep in a
big pot, you shouldn't have a problem.

Pam in Bristol

No Name 23-04-2013 08:01 PM

Pam Moore wrote:
Yes, I have done so. You can also use the moss thatch from lawns to
line hanging baskets.

I did this, then the 'expert' at the gardening club said not to, but with
no reason. (I haven't stopped doing it cos she said not to, just cos I
haven't done it since)

[email protected] 23-04-2013 08:23 PM

In article , wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
Yes, I have done so. You can also use the moss thatch from lawns to
line hanging baskets.

I did this, then the 'expert' at the gardening club said not to, but with
no reason. (I haven't stopped doing it cos she said not to, just cos I
haven't done it since)

An expert bullshitter, definitely! I don't hang baskets, but it
works fine as a pot base. It may not be as good as true sphagnum,
but it works perfectly well - and is entirely 'green' and free for
the plucking.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bill Grey 25-04-2013 06:39 PM

wrote in message ...
In article , wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
Yes, I have done so. You can also use the moss thatch from lawns to
line hanging baskets.

I did this, then the 'expert' at the gardening club said not to, but with
no reason. (I haven't stopped doing it cos she said not to, just cos I
haven't done it since)

An expert bullshitter, definitely! I don't hang baskets,

What do you do ....shoot them ?.....:-)

Bill.