Old 29-04-2013, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Warning!

On 2013-04-25 19:05:13 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Because we have a well our water is not chlorinated and we often find
the tea made from mains water tastes disgusting so we take water from
home - how sad is that!

It never occurred to me that anything worse than a rubbish cup of tea
could happen though

Our mains water is chlorinated so we have a filter on the kitchen tap.
I can tell without tasting the tea if someone has filled the kettle
from the 'wrong' tap!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Your tea tastes fine, no trace of Chorine, I seem to remember
disscussing how bad some cups of tea can be in your Kitchen! I think we
both wondered why some people bother drinking theirs and concluded you
must get used to it after time

Ah thanks, Charlie! Hope that means we can expect another visit soon!
;-) Istr a belief that went around at one time that the best tea was
made with London water which (urban myth mode on) was supposed to have
passed through 5 peoples' kidneys before it got to you! When we lived
in a house with only well water, it was pure and fresh and delicious.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-04-2013, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Your tea tastes fine, no trace of Chorine, I seem to remember
disscussing how bad some cups of tea can be in your Kitchen! I think
we both wondered why some people bother drinking theirs and concluded
you must get used to it after time

Ah thanks, Charlie! Hope that means we can expect another visit soon!
;-) Istr a belief that went around at one time that the best tea was
made with London water which (urban myth mode on) was supposed to have
passed through 5 peoples' kidneys before it got to you! When we lived
in a house with only well water, it was pure and fresh and delicious.

They say that you develop your taste buds whilst you are young and that
influences the way you taste things through life.
So the water you were brought up on when you were young will have a
strong influence on the water you like in later life.
I was brought up on a mixture of Rainwater and bore hole water that was
very iron rich, so much so that left to stand it would go rust red, but
fresh from the borehole at around 45f it was wonderful.
That was when we lived outside Hastings.
David @ one end of Swansea Bay

Old 29-04-2013, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-29 18:30:36 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

I'm fairly sure my grandparents' houses (my earliest homes) were well
water. I'm certain one would have been. Parts of Jersey still don't
have mains water and don't want it! My aunt has a reservoir under her
lawn that is filled by a tanker every so often if the borehole runs
dry. Otherwise, it's filled by rainwater that filters through some
unsophisticated system or other to her taps. When offered mains
connections she and all her neighbours turned it down because they knew
that the local farmer would sell all his land for development, if he
could!

--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 30-04-2013, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:36:33 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Our mains water is chlorinated so we have a filter on the kitchen tap.
I can tell without tasting the tea if someone has filled the kettle
from the 'wrong' tap!

We have the same sort of arrangement but some people seem to prefer
the tea with a slight chlorine flavour. None of my helpers use the
filtered supply as it takes more than a few seconds!

Steve

Old 30-04-2013, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-30 10:00:09 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:36:33 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Our mains water is chlorinated so we have a filter on the kitchen tap.
I can tell without tasting the tea if someone has filled the kettle
from the 'wrong' tap!

We have the same sort of arrangement but some people seem to prefer
the tea with a slight chlorine flavour. None of my helpers use the
filtered supply as it takes more than a few seconds!

Steve

Ours comes straight through on a separate tap on the side of the sink.
I didn't make that clear. Under the sink there's a kind of cartridge
affair that cold water is diverted into and where it passes through the
filter. I think the name is Salamander.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-04-2013, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-30 10:00:09 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:36:33 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Our mains water is chlorinated so we have a filter on the kitchen tap.
I can tell without tasting the tea if someone has filled the kettle
from the 'wrong' tap!

We have the same sort of arrangement but some people seem to prefer
the tea with a slight chlorine flavour. None of my helpers use the
filtered supply as it takes more than a few seconds!

Steve

Ours comes straight through on a separate tap on the side of the sink.
I didn't make that clear. Under the sink there's a kind of cartridge
affair that cold water is diverted into and where it passes through the
filter. I think the name is Salamander.

That's the same sort of filter setup as ours. The problem is the flow
rate. The filtered tap flow takes about 30 seconds to fill a litre
jug. The unfiltered tap takes about 5 seconds. For some unknown reason
the women who help me are all obsessed with getting things done as
fast as possible!

Steve

Old 30-04-2013, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-30 10:00:09 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

[...]

You're going to have to stop cracking that whip! I just can't imagine
ptting flavour behind 25 seconds of my time!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, April 29, 2013 6:30:36 PM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

I was just going to say about the 'rusty water' in that part of East Sussex!
One of my earliest memories is the iron stains in the bath in my Grandparents house.

On the farm we had borehole water, but the best drinking water was from a well in another house we moved to in the village. Crystal clear and wonderful to drink - so long as one tried not to recall the stories of what had been dropped down it over the years!

Jenny - in Bristol

WARNING Help with growing vegetables Rubystars United Kingdom 14 14-01-2004 06:35 PM
Frost warning ?? JennyC United Kingdom 2 23-04-2003 06:48 PM
warning about mulch Allegra Roses 0 04-04-2003 05:44 AM
Another unusual poison warning - this time for dog owners jane taylor United Kingdom 7 01-04-2003 11:08 PM
(LONG) Warning on global warming Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 03-01-2003 06:33 AM