Old 25-04-2013, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily beetle

Peter Gibbs, weather man and gardener Tweeted that Lily Beetles are
about. I didn't believe him but went out to check mine which are only
just coming through the soil. Found and squashed, one lily beetle, but
it was on a peony, both in pots next to one another. Good thing they
are brightly coloured or I'd never see them.
I have a granddaughter who is very good at finding lily beetles!

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-04-2013, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 22:19:57 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:

Peter Gibbs, weather man and gardener Tweeted that Lily Beetles are
about.

Never seen one up here, same with ants. Living at altitude and thus
relatively cold has it's advantages... B-)

The daffs might start to flower in the next day or so if it stays warm
which it doesn't look like doing. The snowdrops are more or less over
now.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 25-04-2013, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-25 22:41:09 +0100, Dave Liquorice said:

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 22:19:57 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:

Peter Gibbs, weather man and gardener Tweeted that Lily Beetles are
about.

Never seen one up here, same with ants. Living at altitude and thus
relatively cold has it's advantages... B-)

The daffs might start to flower in the next day or so if it stays warm
which it doesn't look like doing. The snowdrops are more or less over
now.

Don't think lily beetles have reached these parts yet, daffodils are
going over, snowdrops are now a thing of lovely memories and primroses
are sheets of yellow glory!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-04-2013, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

Dave Liquorice said:

Pam Moore wrote:

Peter Gibbs, weather man and gardener Tweeted that Lily Beetles are
about.

Never seen one up here, same with ants. Living at altitude and thus
relatively cold has it's advantages... B-)

The daffs might start to flower in the next day or so if it stays warm
which it doesn't look like doing. The snowdrops are more or less over
now.

Don't think lily beetles have reached these parts yet, daffodils are going
over, snowdrops are now a thing of lovely memories and primroses are sheets
of yellow glory!

You are very lucky then. Get those red devils and you can kiss goodby to
growing Madonna lilies and also all Fritillarias as I've found that no
matter how vigilant you are they just get destroyed. Asiatic lilies, even
Regals, seem to stand up to them better giving you time to kill the
beetles/larvae before the whole plant is consumed.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-04-2013, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:39:56 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

. Get those red devils and you can kiss goodby to
growing Madonna lilies and also all Fritillarias as I've found that no
matter how vigilant you are they just get destroyed. Asiatic lilies, even
Regals, seem to stand up to them better giving you time to kill the
beetles/larvae before the whole plant is consumed.

You are very unlucky. I've reduced my lily population this year (one
of those occasional re-design things) but still have about 100 of
various types growing. So far this year I've found 2 red devils. The
cat ate one; I split the other asunder. A daily check does the trick.
If numbers suddenly increase then I resort to Provado Ultimate Bug
Killer for a single spray. That restores the balance and I can carry
on with the fingernail job.

I have never experienced any plant destroyed by lily beetle.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 30-04-2013, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

. Get those red devils and you can kiss goodby to
growing Madonna lilies and also all Fritillarias as I've found that no
matter how vigilant you are they just get destroyed. Asiatic lilies, even
Regals, seem to stand up to them better giving you time to kill the
beetles/larvae before the whole plant is consumed.

You are very unlucky. I've reduced my lily population this year (one
of those occasional re-design things) but still have about 100 of
various types growing. So far this year I've found 2 red devils. The
cat ate one; I split the other asunder. A daily check does the trick.
If numbers suddenly increase then I resort to Provado Ultimate Bug
Killer for a single spray. That restores the balance and I can carry
on with the fingernail job.

I have never experienced any plant destroyed by lily beetle.

Adding to my last post ... I have not yet even thought about using any
pesticide as I've only found 4 lily beetles up to yesterday. Today,
though, I have found six on different plants. The weird thing is that
they are all dead. I stress, not a single chemical anything has
touched the garden this year. The bodies all look perfectly formed and
undamaged.

I wonder if the unexpected hard frost last night (there was scrapeable
ice on the car's windscreen this morning) did for them.

--
Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!

Lily Beetle '09 Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 29-04-2009 11:14 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 19 09-07-2003 10:08 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 06:32 PM
Red Lily Beetle Trevor United Kingdom 3 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
Lily beetle again Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 24-03-2003 09:32 PM