Old 05-05-2013, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Conservatory climbers

Bob Hobden wrote:
I didn't know you could get dicentra in yellow!
My pink+white one is just coming into flower. They don't last very long
though. :-(

I'm sorry to say your Dicentra spectabilis is now Lamprocapnos spectabilis.

Oh. How did that happen? I wish they wouldn't change names from ones
I can remember to ones I never will.

I believe my pink+white is called Love Lies Bleeding, and the white is
called Alba. Although I haven't seen the all-white one this year, so it
may not have survived. (either from the cold, or cos I planted it in a
stupid place and it's been lost)

The yellow one I mentioned is a climbing Dicentra, there are a few climbing
ones and all seem to be yellow or orangey yellow.

I may have to investigate them further. They look very pretty. Do they
have a longer flowering season than mine?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-05 21:39:54 +0100, kay said:

'Sacha[_10_ Wrote:
;982481'] And
this has reminded me that I have to get some Lathyrus matucana seeds!

Despite the form of the name, matucana is the variety name not the
species. It's still Lathyrus odoratus. One would have thought it had
been deliberately chosen to confuse!

Yes, I was guilty of leaving out the 'odoratus' bit. We tend not to use
the whole mouthful when talking about it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-05 21:37:45 +0100, said:

Bob Hobden wrote:
My first thought was Dicentra scandens but then I read your wife hates
yellow which is a shame so how about Dicentra scandens Pink Heart, if you
can find it. Has orchid pink blossoms and is hardy

I didn't know you could get dicentra in yellow!
My pink+white one is just coming into flower. They don't last very long
though. :-(

We have the yellow one and it's very attractive, imo. We had it growing
up a Cordyline but I think it's been lost when the Cordyline got the
chop. But we have it growing in a small greenhouse and it looks very
attractive. Luckily, both set a lot of seed last year and this climbing
one does flower over a long period.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com