Old 27-04-2013, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Conservatory climbers

Ah, well. I seemed to have killed my Ipomoea indica - the problem
is that I need to cut it back hard, and (as a tropical evergreen)
it's not very keen on that. This year needed to be particularly
brutal, as we needed to repaint. Never mind, it may give me a
chance to get rid of the mealybug.

But I need to grow some climbers to make the place attractive.
As it is a south-facing conservatory with a proper border (i.e.
down to the subsoil), I have a fairly free hand. I have already
got some Ipomoea alba seedlings growing, but what other tropical
annuals would people suggest?

Colour rather than scent, and they can grow up to 20', but I also
need some that will not grow more than 6'. And I would MUCH
prefer ones that don't need frequent watering (i.e. I would like
ones that can grow in semi-arid climates and not just humid ones).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-04-2013, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2013 09:56, wrote:
[...]

Firstly, did you really mean "annuals" rather than perennials?

Secondly, it depends somewhat on how big the conservatory is. You could
choose a Passiflora, but even just one would soon take over a small
conservatory.

For something different, you could try Kennedya nigricans, which is
fairly drought-resistant.

If you don't mind the smell of the leaves, Tweedia caerulea is a very
unusual colour, and rarely gets to 6 ft. It also likes it dryish.

For weird flower shape, look at some Ceropegias, although they would
have to be trained a bit as they tend to be scramblers rather than climbers.

--

Jeff
Old 27-04-2013, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-27 09:56:16 +0100, said:

[...]

Thunbergia alata Lemon and Thunbergia greggii will give a load of
colour and are moderate in watering requirements. We grow them as
perennials in our greenhouses but there's no reason why they shouldn't
be treated as annuals, as some of our customers do. We've just sent a
load to a garden in Norfolk where they'll be outdoors for the summer.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-04-2013, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Yes. Though many of them will probably be perennials in their
natural habitat. I am looking for plants that will flower in
3-5 months.

Secondly, it depends somewhat on how big the conservatory is. You could
choose a Passiflora, but even just one would soon take over a small
conservatory.

The main wall is c. 12' long and 6' high, but climbers at one end have
20+' to grow up.

For something different, you could try Kennedya nigricans, which is
fairly drought-resistant.

If you don't mind the smell of the leaves, Tweedia caerulea is a very
unusual colour, and rarely gets to 6 ft. It also likes it dryish.

For weird flower shape, look at some Ceropegias, although they would
have to be trained a bit as they tend to be scramblers rather than climbers.

Thanks. Actually, I am also growing Cobaea scandens, which I was
planning to plant out, but could put inside.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-04-2013, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Thunbergia alata Lemon and Thunbergia greggii will give a load of
colour and are moderate in watering requirements. We grow them as
perennials in our greenhouses but there's no reason why they shouldn't
be treated as annuals, as some of our customers do. We've just sent a
load to a garden in Norfolk where they'll be outdoors for the summer.

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-04-2013, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2013 15:29, wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

I know they're not unusual, but for a quick climber with good colour
and drought resistance it's hard to beat nasturtiums. And there's the
bonus of edible flowers and leaves (if you get to them before the
caterpillars!).

--

Jeff
Old 29-04-2013, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...

[...]

Take a look at Psuedogynoxys chenopodioides, also the various Thunbergias
alata is usually readily available, Asarinas (or Maurandias/Lophospermums)
are also very quick. Eccremocarpus, Rhodochitum, Ipomoea lobata, plus a
whole host of others.

I am assuming that speed is of the essence?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 29-04-2013, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Take a look at Psuedogynoxys chenopodioides, also the various Thunbergias
alata is usually readily available, Asarinas (or Maurandias/Lophospermums)
are also very quick. Eccremocarpus, Rhodochitum, Ipomoea lobata, plus a
whole host of others.

Thanks very much. Unfortunately, She Who dislikes yellow and orange,
which is rather a handicap :-(

My experience of trying to grow Rhodochiton and Maurandia from seed
was not very positive, unfortunately.

I am assuming that speed is of the essence?

Yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-04-2013, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Thanks very much. Unfortunately, She Who dislikes yellow and orange,
which is rather a handicap :-(

My experience of trying to grow Rhodochiton and Maurandia from seed
was not very positive, unfortunately.

I am assuming that speed is of the essence?

Yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Try surface sowing if you haven't already

Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

I am assuming that speed is of the essence?

Yes.

Did we dismiss Passifloras? Akebia quinata alba comes to mind and has a
delicious fragrance.It's pretty quick growing too.

I've also just thought of Schisandra, pink or white.

Thanks.

I have one, nominally red, but it has never flowered. It might
do better in a conservatory, but it's not really what I want.

Regards,
Nick.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/05/2013 17:23, Sacha wrote:

I've also just thought of Schisandra, pink or white.

Schisandra is pretty hardy in my experience. S. grandiflora (red
flower) grew like a weed once it had settled in on Sussex wealden clay,
and showed no problems no matter how low the temperature or how wet the
clay was . It really shouldn't need conservatory treatment to flourish.

--

Jeff
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-01 19:48:12 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

On 01/05/2013 17:23, Sacha wrote:

I've also just thought of Schisandra, pink or white.

Schisandra is pretty hardy in my experience. S. grandiflora (red
flower) grew like a weed once it had settled in on Sussex wealden clay,
and showed no problems no matter how low the temperature or how wet the
clay was . It really shouldn't need conservatory treatment to flourish.

I don't think Nick specified that it had to die in the cold. ;-) But
it seems to do better/flower better, in some gardens than others. It's
classified as fully hardy - though I'm without experience of this so I
wonder how it does in cold gardens.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Sacha wrote:

I am assuming that speed is of the essence?

Yes.

Did we dismiss Passifloras? Akebia quinata alba comes to mind and has a
delicious fragrance.It's pretty quick growing too.

I've also just thought of Schisandra, pink or white.

Thanks.

I have one, nominally red, but it has never flowered. It might
do better in a conservatory, but it's not really what I want.

Regards,
Nick.

You could do worse than Mandevilla laxa, its fast, evergreen (under glass),
and very scented.

They have a particularly good form at Hillhouse (where I got my replacement
one)