GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone planted brassiccas out yet? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206945-anyone-planted-brassiccas-out-yet.html)

Baz[_3_] 27-04-2013 11:10 AM

Anyone planted brassiccas out yet?

I know most are hardy, but the ones I planted last week have flopped over.

Baz

Bob Hobden 27-04-2013 11:43 AM

Anyone planted brassiccas out yet?

"Baz" wrote

I know most are hardy, but the ones I planted last week have flopped over.

Yes, put some summer cabbages and white sprouting broccolli in this week.
Look OK to me so far, have you kept them watered? It's been dry here.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 27-04-2013 05:21 PM

Anyone planted brassiccas out yet?

In article ,
says...

I know most are hardy, but the ones I planted last week have flopped over.

Baz

Not yet,

Mine are just about an inch high, in trays. Given the
forecast for tonight, I've moved them into the
greenhouse as I did last night, where they seem to
have survived a 0 C temperature. They spent all week
outside as we were away.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Bob Hobden 27-04-2013 05:27 PM

Anyone planted brassiccas out yet?

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

baz says...

I know most are hardy, but the ones I planted last week have flopped
over.

Not yet,

Mine are just about an inch high, in trays. Given the
forecast for tonight, I've moved them into the
greenhouse as I did last night, where they seem to
have survived a 0 C temperature. They spent all week
outside as we were away.

Yes, frost is forecast even here so we have just been down to the plot to
bank up the early spuds and cover them with fleece. Trouble is our central
heating is out of order ATM until next Friday (new twin walled flue needed
right up through the house) so it was always going to get cold again.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

David Hill 27-04-2013 05:37 PM

Anyone planted brassiccas out yet?

On 27/04/2013 17:21, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

I know most are hardy, but the ones I planted last week have flopped over.

Baz

Not yet,

Mine are just about an inch high, in trays. Given the
forecast for tonight, I've moved them into the
greenhouse as I did last night, where they seem to
have survived a 0 C temperature. They spent all week
outside as we were away.

I wouldn't worry about them flaging for a few days, once they geet their
roots out they will pick up, they are not one of the plants that goes to
seed if it flags.

kay 28-04-2013 09:36 AM

I've watched them being planted out in Portugal on a field scale. Rows and rows of completely limp plants, yet no-one is in the least bit concerned, so I presume they all right themselves.

Baz[_3_] 28-04-2013 02:28 PM

Anyone planted brassiccas out yet?

David Hill wrote in
:

On 27/04/2013 17:21, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

I know most are hardy, but the ones I planted last week have flopped
over.

Baz

Not yet,

Mine are just about an inch high, in trays. Given the
forecast for tonight, I've moved them into the
greenhouse as I did last night, where they seem to
have survived a 0 C temperature. They spent all week
outside as we were away.

I wouldn't worry about them flaging for a few days, once they geet
their roots out they will pick up, they are not one of the plants that
goes to seed if it flags.

Well, I am surprised that they are now starting to stand up a bit.
My last few years have always stood no matter what conditions, apart from
last year.

Thanks.
Baz

Baz[_3_] 01-05-2013 10:33 AM

Anyone planted brassiccas out yet?

kay wrote in news:kay.bf2dc23
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

-
I wouldn't worry about them flaging for a few days, once they geet their

roots out they will pick up, they are not one of the plants that goes to

seed if it flags.

I've watched them being planted out in Portugal on a field scale. Rows
and rows of completely limp plants, yet no-one is in the least bit
concerned, so I presume they all right themselves.

What is good for the Portugese is good for me. Mine are now standing, and
even putting on a lot of foliage.

Thanks for the reassurance.
Baz