Old 28-04-2013, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tall, narrow plants for south-facing sticky bed

I'm after some ideas for tall, narrow (bed is 24" deep) plants to go in
a south-facing, sticky bed. I'd prefer evergreens. Any ideas?
Old 28-04-2013, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/04/2013 20:01, Jo wrote:
I'm after some ideas for tall, narrow (bed is 24" deep) plants to go in
a south-facing, sticky bed. I'd prefer evergreens. Any ideas?

Why is it sticky?
Clay or damp problems?
Part of the country?
So the bed is 24 inches deep (Wide) how long?
What's in front of the bed?
What is behind it?
Old 28-04-2013, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/04/2013 21:00, David Hill wrote:
On 28/04/2013 20:01, Jo wrote:
I'm after some ideas for tall, narrow (bed is 24" deep) plants to go in
a south-facing, sticky bed. I'd prefer evergreens. Any ideas?

Why is it sticky?
Clay or damp problems?
Part of the country?
So the bed is 24 inches deep (Wide) how long?
What's in front of the bed?
What is behind it?

Sorry David, I didn't give any more info. Just getting used to new way
of viewing newsgroups so a bit stumped!

Clay soil. The narrow part of the bed is about 4 ft long so I only need
a couple of narrow tall plants!
I'm in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex.
Grass in front of bed. Tall fence behind.

Jo
Old 29-04-2013, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/04/2013 21:52, Janet wrote:
red watsonias

Thanks Janet. Lovely ideas, but I think the yew will be a little too
big. I don't really want anything that'll grow taller than the fence!

Jo

Old 29-04-2013, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-29 17:53:44 +0100, Jo said:

On 28/04/2013 21:52, Janet wrote:
red watsonias

Thanks Janet. Lovely ideas, but I think the yew will be a little too
big. I don't really want anything that'll grow taller than the fence!

Jo

You can keep yew trimmed to exactly where you want it and whatever
shape you want it. It's the conifer that forgives and lives to grow!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-04-2013, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-29 17:53:44 +0100, Jo said:

On 28/04/2013 21:52, Janet wrote:
red watsonias

Thanks Janet. Lovely ideas, but I think the yew will be a little too
big. I don't really want anything that'll grow taller than the fence!

Jo

I should have added that if 'sticky' means wet, yews won't like that, however!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-04-2013, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 28/04/2013 21:52, Janet wrote:
red watsonias

Thanks Janet. Lovely ideas, but I think the yew will be a little too
big. I don't really want anything that'll grow taller than the fence!

Jo

It's a very slow form of yew and can be cut and shaped to fit.

Janet