GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   re Pesticides (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206983-re-pesticides.html)

rbel[_2_] 30-04-2013 08:12 PM

re Pesticides

Following on from the previous thread concerning pesticides I see that
the agricultural use of three neonicotinoid products - imidacloprid,
thiamethoxam and clothianidin are to be suspended from the 1 December
this year for a period of two years.

Apparently some of the larger retailers of garden products have
already stopped stocking the non-commercial products.
--
rbel

Jeff Layman[_2_] 30-04-2013 08:58 PM

re Pesticides

On 30/04/2013 20:12, rbel wrote:

Following on from the previous thread concerning pesticides I see that
the agricultural use of three neonicotinoid products - imidacloprid,
thiamethoxam and clothianidin are to be suspended from the 1 December
this year for a period of two years.

Apparently some of the larger retailers of garden products have
already stopped stocking the non-commercial products.

I hope that "Plant Rescue Bug Killer" will be reformulated to replace
the thiamethoxam with one of the other neonicotinoids which aren't
affected by the ban. It's the only product I've found - available to
the amateur - which is effective against red spider mite. Actually, I
wouldn't care if the thiamethoxam was removed and not replaced, as it's
the other active ingedient, abamectin, which deals with RSM.

--

Jeff

Jake 30-04-2013 09:32 PM

re Pesticides

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 20:58:02 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

I hope that "Plant Rescue Bug Killer" will be reformulated to replace
the thiamethoxam with one of the other neonicotinoids which aren't
affected by the ban. It's the only product I've found - available to
the amateur - which is effective against red spider mite.

Provado Ultimate Bug Killer contains thiacloprid (not on the list) and
RSM is listed as one of its targets, along with lily beetle (which is
why I may use it once a year), whitefly, scale, greenfly, blackfly,
mealybug, thrips and leaf hopper.

It will, of course, kill beneficials like bees, hoverflies and
ladybirds if used incorrectly, which is why I'm always on a soapbox
pillorying Monty Don et al for simply ignoring chemicals and so losing
an opportunity to educate those that need educating about correct use.

--
Cheers, Jake