GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Clematis armandii (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206989-clematis-armandii.html)

[email protected] 01-05-2013 01:11 PM

Clematis armandii

All of my references say that this is not particularly hardy, but
I am coming to the conclusion that may be another gardening myth.
Has anyone got experiences of it suffering more than slightly
with (a) -10 Celcius in winter or (b) late frosts?

On this, I lost a few morning glory seedlings and young shoots
of a few plants died in the recent frosts. Nothing of consequence,
so far! But C. armandii had no trouble, though I have lost young
shoots in the past.

On another aspect, does anyone have experience of "Snowdrift"?
Is it a reasonably tough form, and what does it smell like?
"Apple Blossom", I know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pam Moore[_2_] 01-05-2013 04:33 PM

Clematis armandii

On Wed, 1 May 2013 13:11:54 +0100 (BST), wrote:

All of my references say that this is not particularly hardy, but
I am coming to the conclusion that may be another gardening myth.
Has anyone got experiences of it suffering more than slightly
with (a) -10 Celcius in winter or (b) late frosts?

On this, I lost a few morning glory seedlings and young shoots
of a few plants died in the recent frosts. Nothing of consequence,
so far! But C. armandii had no trouble, though I have lost young
shoots in the past.

On another aspect, does anyone have experience of "Snowdrift"?
Is it a reasonably tough form, and what does it smell like?
"Apple Blossom", I know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have 2 armandii which have been in for about 10 years and survive
with no problem.

Pam in Bristol

[email protected] 01-05-2013 04:56 PM

Clematis armandii

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

All of my references say that this is not particularly hardy, but
I am coming to the conclusion that may be another gardening myth.
Has anyone got experiences of it suffering more than slightly
with (a) -10 Celcius in winter or (b) late frosts?

On this, I lost a few morning glory seedlings and young shoots
of a few plants died in the recent frosts. Nothing of consequence,
so far! But C. armandii had no trouble, though I have lost young
shoots in the past.

On another aspect, does anyone have experience of "Snowdrift"?
Is it a reasonably tough form, and what does it smell like?

I have 2 armandii which have been in for about 10 years and survive
with no problem.

Well, yes, so have I. But you are a lot warmer than I am, and I am
thinking of planting a new variety ("Snowdrift") in a rather more
exposed spot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

kay 01-05-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 982110)
All of my references say that this is not particularly hardy, but
I am coming to the conclusion that may be another gardening myth.
Has anyone got experiences of it suffering more than slightly
with (a) -10 Celcius in winter or (b) late frosts?

Mine died last winter (2011-12) . I don't think we went down as low as -10, and late frosts were as normal. I think what did for it was day after day with the daytime temperature not coming above 0, and once it did, just the combination of cold and wet.

[email protected] 01-05-2013 07:35 PM

Clematis armandii

In article ,
kay wrote:

All of my references say that this is not particularly hardy, but
I am coming to the conclusion that may be another gardening myth.
Has anyone got experiences of it suffering more than slightly
with (a) -10 Celcius in winter or (b) late frosts?

Mine died last winter (2011-12) . I don't think we went down as low as
-10, and late frosts were as normal. I think what did for it was day
after day with the daytime temperature not coming above 0, and once it
did, just the combination of cold and wet.

Thanks :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

kay 01-05-2013 09:47 PM

I'm in W Yorkshire, so warmer and wetter than you, and I'm 400ft above sea level, on clay. I won't get such low temperatures as you, but I will have colder wetter soil.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 01-05-2013 10:46 PM

Clematis armandii

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

[...]

Snow drift and apple blossom are of similar vintage I believe, I have never
heard that one is tougher than the other. Jeffery's form is a third good
one.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Jeff Layman[_2_] 02-05-2013 08:16 AM

Clematis armandii

On 01/05/2013 22:46, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Snow drift and apple blossom are of similar vintage I believe, I have never
heard that one is tougher than the other. Jeffery's form is a third good
one.

Having moved last year, I had to leave the Apple Blossom behind. But in
a local nursery came across a variety I hadn't heard of - "Hendersonii
rubra" (also known as "Henderson pink". Looked very attractive with its
deepish pink buds - although the flowers are still white. So I've put
one in, and it seems to be doing well. Have you come across it or got
any experience of it, Charlie?

--

Jeff

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 02-05-2013 08:23 AM

Clematis armandii

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 01/05/2013 22:46, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Snow drift and apple blossom are of similar vintage I believe, I have
never
heard that one is tougher than the other. Jeffery's form is a third good
one.

Having moved last year, I had to leave the Apple Blossom behind. But in a
local nursery came across a variety I hadn't heard of - "Hendersonii
rubra" (also known as "Henderson pink". Looked very attractive with its
deepish pink buds - although the flowers are still white. So I've put one
in, and it seems to be doing well. Have you come across it or got any
experience of it, Charlie?

--

Jeff

No, sorry, I no longer grow any of them, I found they don't like it here and
always looked a tatty mess, especially in summer.

Kath[_2_] 06-05-2013 08:44 PM

Clematis armandii

On Wed, 1 May 2013 22:46:16 +0100, "Charlie Pridham" wrote:

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

[...]

I have been growing one on my garage (South east corner) for about 5 or 6 years now. It
gets lots of wind and has survived the past few heavy snowfall winters. I am not sure how
low the temps have gone (I am in south east Sheffield) but I guess it has had some low
ones, It has never lost its' leaves and improves year by year. It flowered twice last
year.

Kath

Trevor Appleton 31-08-2013 08:55 PM

Clematis armandii

I had one in frosty East Yorkshire for 7 or 8 years. The trunk grew to
almost 6 inches diameter. I used to dispute the claim that it was scented
though - never smelt anything from mine.

Sacha[_11_] 01-09-2013 10:39 AM

Clematis armandii

On 2013-09-01 08:45:09 +0100, Martin said:

wrote in message ...

All of my references say that this is not particularly hardy, but
I am coming to the conclusion that may be another gardening myth.
Has anyone got experiences of it suffering more than slightly
with (a) -10 Celcius in winter or (b) late frosts?

On this, I lost a few morning glory seedlings and young shoots
of a few plants died in the recent frosts. Nothing of consequence,
so far! But C. armandii had no trouble, though I have lost young
shoots in the past.

On another aspect, does anyone have experience of "Snowdrift"?
Is it a reasonably tough form, and what does it smell like?
"Apple Blossom", I know.

We have one that has survived two cold winters, one with night
temperatures down to -13C. Last winter we had two weeks of night
temperatures of -8C. My daughter lives to the north of Stoke-on Trent.
Her C. armandii has survived two cold winters too.

Perhaps it depends on whether it's on a house wall where it gets more
protection, perhaps? Certainly, when we had that very cold winter 3
years ago, we found C. armandii very hard to come by when we wanted
extra supplies.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_11_] 01-09-2013 12:23 PM

Clematis armandii

wrote in message ...

[...]

Neither are on the side of house. Ours is in an exposed position.

Very interesting. I'll mention this to Ray and see if we have any left
that we can try somewhere in the garden. I suspect they've all gone,
though.

Certainly, when we had that very cold winter 3
years ago, we found C. armandii very hard to come by when we wanted
extra supplies.

Look towards NL, which seems to be the source of many sold by garden
centres in UK

Oh indeed. Some of the Dutch growers took a dreadful bashing over that winter.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Kath[_2_] 02-09-2013 06:28 PM

Clematis armandii

wrote in message ...

All of my references say that this is not particularly hardy, but
I am coming to the conclusion that may be another gardening myth.
Has anyone got experiences of it suffering more than slightly
with (a) -10 Celcius in winter or (b) late frosts?

On this, I lost a few morning glory seedlings and young shoots
of a few plants died in the recent frosts. Nothing of consequence,
so far! But C. armandii had no trouble, though I have lost young
shoots in the past.

On another aspect, does anyone have experience of "Snowdrift"?
Is it a reasonably tough form, and what does it smell like?
"Apple Blossom", I know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have had one for a fair few years and it is thriving. I live in SE Yorkshire. It is in a
place which faces East, though I think the roots get a bit of shelter from a Cotoneaster
Horizontalis, nearby, but I do not do anything else to protect it.

It has certainly had a bit of harsh winter weather and do to work being carried out, I had
to cut it back hard in June. I thought maybe I'd lost it but it has thrived and is
starting to flower again. Mine has plenty of scent if there is little wind.

Kath