Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb

For many years, I've enjoyed a good crop from one
particular clump of rhubarb, which was gradually
expanding. So in the winter 2011/12, I cut off and dug
up two smaalish crowns from it, which I planted. Last
summer I enjoyed a bumper crop, picking from all thre
crowns, even though you are not supposed to pick from
first year crown (they were so prolific, it was a
shame to waste them).

This year all three crowns are growing well, but they
have all started developing flower heads, which I've
never had before on this particular variety. I just
pick the flower heads off, and leave everything to
grow on normally.

I am just intrigued as to the possible reason for this
change in behaviour. There are four possibilities in
my mind:

1) Last years weather
2) Last winters weather
3) I've not put any rotted compost around the crowns
this year
4) Last years bumper crop

Anyone any ideas?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

[...]

Mine has grown flower heads for 3 or 4 years in a row. No idea why. I just
remove them and still get a nice big crop.

Baz
Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/05/2013 20:59, Roger Tonkin wrote:
[...]

I expect it feels slightly threatened from last year and as such will
attempt to flower as a priority. Mine usually flowers much later one. By
then we are fed up with rhubarb anyway. It main claim to fame is being
the first new season garden produce.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown