GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How long to pick rhubarb? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207009-how-long-pick-rhubarb.html)

David.WE.Roberts 03-05-2013 10:53 AM

How long to pick rhubarb?

The rhubarb at the allotment is going great guns and I'm trying to keep it
thinned out by picking the thickest stems to give the others room to grow
up and out.

It seemed to crop forever last year although I think we kept on picking
for too long.

So how long should you pick before you leave it alone to build itself up
for next year?

There are a couple of very large crowns which must be pretty old - came
with the allotment.

Cheers

Dave R

Baz[_3_] 03-05-2013 12:38 PM

How long to pick rhubarb?

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in
:

The rhubarb at the allotment is going great guns and I'm trying to
keep it thinned out by picking the thickest stems to give the others
room to grow up and out.

It seemed to crop forever last year although I think we kept on
picking for too long.

So how long should you pick before you leave it alone to build itself
up for next year?

There are a couple of very large crowns which must be pretty old -
came with the allotment.

Cheers

Dave R

Dig in autumn and slice it up into 1/4 or 1/8 with your spade. Let the
frost get to them and then replant the things. Or give them away.

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 03-05-2013 12:39 PM

How long to pick rhubarb?

In article ,
says...

The rhubarb at the allotment is going great guns and I'm trying to keep it
thinned out by picking the thickest stems to give the others room to grow
up and out.

It seemed to crop forever last year although I think we kept on picking
for too long.

So how long should you pick before you leave it alone to build itself up
for next year?

There are a couple of very large crowns which must be pretty old - came
with the allotment.

Cheers

Dave R

They normal recommendation is towards the end of July,
so then it can build up strength for the winter.

Depending on your penchant for rhubarb, and if you've
got a storage method (I use Kilner jars) the you can
pick later.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales