Old 04-05-2013, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Safe to use Weedol 2 now on my overgown vegetable plot?

want to plant out runner beans, and hopefully broad beans this year,

but need to clear the ground, Would it be safe to eat the crop? any

advice please,

Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"66oldgit" wrote in message

want to plant out runner beans, and hopefully broad beans this year,

but need to clear the ground, Would it be safe to eat the crop? any

advice please,

Depends on what weeds you have got my gardener comments.

A quick run over with the hoe or are they more pernicious?

Mike

Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/05/2013 16:54, 66oldgit wrote:
want to plant out runner beans, and hopefully broad beans this year,

but need to clear the ground, Would it be safe to eat the crop? any

advice please,

Weedol is a contact weed killer an as it probably says on the pack, or
as you will find if you look it up on line, it is inactivated as soon as
it hits the soil, or once it has dried on the plant leaves.
NO it's not advisable to eat any plant that you have sprayed, but it has
no effect on the crops grown on the site sprayed.
If you are really that afraid then cut the weeds down by hand, dig out
the roots ands then keep using a hoe when you see any weeds comming back.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, 4 May 2013 18:32:48 UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
On 04/05/2013 16:54, 66oldgit wrote:

want to plant out runner beans, and hopefully broad beans this year,

but need to clear the ground, Would it be safe to eat the crop? any

advice please,

Weedol is a contact weed killer an as it probably says on the pack, or

as you will find if you look it up on line, it is inactivated as soon as

it hits the soil, or once it has dried on the plant leaves.

NO it's not advisable to eat any plant that you have sprayed, but it has

no effect on the crops grown on the site sprayed.

If you are really that afraid then cut the weeds down by hand, dig out

the roots ands then keep using a hoe when you see any weeds comming back.

Thanx for that! as a lazy 82yr old I just wanted some re=assurance on the 'eating the crop' bit.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/05/2013 21:05, 66oldgit wrote:
On Saturday, 4 May 2013 18:32:48 UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
On 04/05/2013 16:54, 66oldgit wrote:

want to plant out runner beans, and hopefully broad beans this year,

but need to clear the ground, Would it be safe to eat the crop? any

advice please,

Weedol is a contact weed killer an as it probably says on the pack, or

as you will find if you look it up on line, it is inactivated as soon as

it hits the soil, or once it has dried on the plant leaves.

NO it's not advisable to eat any plant that you have sprayed, but it has

no effect on the crops grown on the site sprayed.

If you are really that afraid then cut the weeds down by hand, dig out

the roots ands then keep using a hoe when you see any weeds comming back.

Thanx for that! as a lazy 82yr old I just wanted some re=assurance on the 'eating the crop' bit.

I don't know about Lazy, if you are like me it's a lack of energy, and
finding it hard to motivate yourself if the weather is not at it's best,
though you can give me 10 years.
It's a pity that the body and the brain don't age at the same rate, that
is the body being as young as the brain seems to think it is.
David

Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 04/05/2013 21:05, 66oldgit wrote:
On Saturday, 4 May 2013 18:32:48 UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
On 04/05/2013 16:54, 66oldgit wrote:

It's a pity that the body and the brain don't age at the same rate, that
is the body being as young as the brain seems to think it is.

Oh, soooo true!!
--
Pete C

Old 05-05-2013, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 04 May 2013 08:54:24 -0700, 66oldgit wrote:

want to plant out runner beans, and hopefully broad beans this year,

but need to clear the ground, Would it be safe to eat the crop? any

advice please,

As discussed a bit earlier there are a couple of different weed killers
for this kind of thing.

Glyphosphate kills growing stuff, but denatures and is safe to plant after
IIRC about 5 days.

Diquat (used to be Paraquat) in Weedol denatures even quicker and again
IIRC you can plant very soon after using it.

I'm trying to clear my plot at the moment using Glyphosphate.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2013 12:55, David WE Roberts wrote:
On Sat, 04 May 2013 08:54:24 -0700, 66oldgit wrote:

want to plant out runner beans, and hopefully broad beans this year,

but need to clear the ground, Would it be safe to eat the crop? any

advice please,

As discussed a bit earlier there are a couple of different weed killers
for this kind of thing.

Glyphosphate kills growing stuff, but denatures and is safe to plant after
IIRC about 5 days.

Diquat (used to be Paraquat) in Weedol denatures even quicker and again
IIRC you can plant very soon after using it.

I'm trying to clear my plot at the moment using Glyphosphate.

Cheers

Dave R

All the advice I am getting from different firms chemical consultants is
not to cultivate or plant for 3 weeks after applying Glyphosphate as the
chemical is still active in the plant matter and the roots for anything
up to 3 weeks

Weedol 2 Mervington United Kingdom 10 15-09-2015 01:39 PM
weedol vs roundup? [email protected] United Kingdom 12 11-08-2015 09:35 PM
What Good is Weedol? Davy[_2_] United Kingdom 2 24-07-2008 08:34 PM
Weedol Alan Gould United Kingdom 0 05-02-2003 06:01 AM
Weedol Ben United Kingdom 8 05-02-2003 01:59 AM