GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blueberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207022-blueberries.html)

Pam Moore[_2_] 04-05-2013 07:30 PM

Blueberries

Is it possible to grow blueberries from the seeds in the fruits?
Tesco are selling some really nice ones (from Spain) the biggest and
best I've ever tasted, nicer that my home-grown ones! Has anyone tried
it?

Pam in Bristol

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 04-05-2013 08:19 PM

Blueberries

In article fukao8hn8i0g70lk8oovuc28mtnus9b51n@
4ax.com, says...

Is it possible to grow blueberries from the seeds in the fruits?
Tesco are selling some really nice ones (from Spain) the biggest and
best I've ever tasted, nicer that my home-grown ones! Has anyone tried
it?

Pam in Bristol

I suspect the general advice will be "try it!!", with
the usual caveats about hardiness etc of the plant if
it does grow, considering the origin. Why not ask
Tesco's to name the variety? I noticed when I was in
Sainsbury's (in England!) the other week, most of
their fruit was named varieties.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Jeff Layman[_2_] 04-05-2013 09:12 PM

Blueberries

On 04/05/2013 19:30, Pam Moore wrote:
Is it possible to grow blueberries from the seeds in the fruits?
Tesco are selling some really nice ones (from Spain) the biggest and
best I've ever tasted, nicer that my home-grown ones! Has anyone tried
it?

Pam in Bristol

Even if the seeds germinate, there is no guarantee that the plants which
result will be the same as the parent plant.

--

Jeff

David Hill 04-05-2013 09:17 PM

Blueberries

On 04/05/2013 21:12, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/05/2013 19:30, Pam Moore wrote:
Is it possible to grow blueberries from the seeds in the fruits?
Tesco are selling some really nice ones (from Spain) the biggest and
best I've ever tasted, nicer that my home-grown ones! Has anyone tried
it?

Pam in Bristol

Even if the seeds germinate, there is no guarantee that the plants which
result will be the same as the parent plant.

No but I wouldn't have thought that there would be that many varieties
around to have crossed with the fruiting plants, and most fruit is
produced from bushes that have been selected a lot so not very likely to
be F1 or even E2 crosses.
Go for it Gall.

Martin Brown 05-05-2013 09:17 AM

Blueberries

On 04/05/2013 20:19, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article fukao8hn8i0g70lk8oovuc28mtnus9b51n@
4ax.com, says...

Is it possible to grow blueberries from the seeds in the fruits?
Tesco are selling some really nice ones (from Spain) the biggest and
best I've ever tasted, nicer that my home-grown ones! Has anyone tried
it?

Pam in Bristol

I suspect the general advice will be "try it!!", with
the usual caveats about hardiness etc of the plant if
it does grow, considering the origin. Why not ask
Tesco's to name the variety? I noticed when I was in
Sainsbury's (in England!) the other week, most of
their fruit was named varieties.

It might be but like apples you will be very lucky to get anything like
the nice named cultivar that produced the fruits you have eaten.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

echinosum 07-05-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] (Post 982385)
Is it possible to grow blueberries from the seeds in the fruits?
Tesco are selling some really nice ones (from Spain) the biggest and
best I've ever tasted, nicer that my home-grown ones! Has anyone tried
it?

Pam in Bristol

Were you planning to grow them in a greenhouse?

To get big fat blueberries you need warmth of a variety little found in Bristol, and a lot of water to turn your bed practically into a marsh.