Old 06-05-2013, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bee deterrent?

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 05 May 2013 19:55:35 +0100, Spider wrote:

Well, yes, education would be the right way to go about it. I've tried
no end of times trying to suggest bees are generally harmless. I
usually get the "But they always sting me" type answer.

Do you then ask how many times they have *actually* been stung? More
often than not the answere to that direct question is "never" or "er I
think a couple of times". Their fear of being stung is not supported by
the facts...

Or the standard Q&A:

Q. How do you know that it was a bee that stung you?

A.1 Because it was yellow and black.

A.2 I didn't see it, but it stung me, therefore it was a bee.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-05 18:58:42 +0100, David Hill said:

It's well-known that swarming bees are much less likely to sting because
their particular objective is to gather round the queen. It's their
driving force at that time, so obstacles in their path are more likely
to be disregarded.

I am trying to picture a solitary bee swarming.

Lol! Haven't you heard of busy bees! But I was answering Nick's comment
that he'd walked - carefully - through swarms.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-05 18:34:38 +0100, David Hill said:

On 05/05/2013 15:34, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 5 May 2013 15:05:46 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The children could - and should in any case - be taught to wear shoes
when running round the garden ...

Aye, I expect they will be jabbed up against Tetantus but Cellulitis is
not very pleasant(*) and can be life threatening.

... and to be calm when walking through the 'bee area'. Standing in
front of the bees' homes and flapping arms about etc. is asking for
trouble whether they're in a wall or a hive.

Aye.

(*) Understatement. It is flaming agony, I dread to think how a child
would react to the constant worst pins and needles you can imagine.

I've had it twice and been hospitalised so they can intravenously shove
in, every 4 hours (and I mean every fours hours, even through the night)
high enough doses of antibiotics. 1 g of penicillin I remember but there
were similar quantities of others, flucloxacillin being one of them.
"Normal" doses are around the is 250 mg 4 times/day (6 hour) level.

Strange using anti Biotics for stings, it's usually Anti histamine and
adrenalin that they use.
I was hypersensitive to Wasps and underwent 2 prolonged de
sensitisation treatments, the last one lasted 32 weeks and was whole
venom extract, but it worked.
Aas for bees, I once rotovated close to 6 hives with a tractor
rotovator, they didn't like it, I had over 40 stings removed from my
head, that afternoon, next day I was back in work deeling a bit
delacate.
Had that been wasps I would not have been here to write this, the
adrenalinI carried wouldn't have coped with that sort of dose.
David @ a now sunny end of Swansea Bay.

It's surprising nobody warned you to keep away from the hives. That
kind of vibration on ground close to their hives sets them off bigtime
- as you discovered!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-05 13:55:11 +0100, Spider said:

On 05/05/2013 14:32, wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Read that helpful link from David Hill again, especially the 4th
paragraph/question-and-answer. Your neighbours need to repoint the
south face of their house (and perhaps the west, too, since that will
also be warm and inviting) so that the bees go elsewhere for soft
mortar. It is the only way to discourage the bees.

They're tenants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Indeed. I agree with you and would love them around my house, but if
the OP's neighbours *really* want to evict them for child safety
reasons, then re-pointing is the way to do it. It beats poisoning,
which may be the other deadly deed.

When I was little, I was taught and encouraged by my father to respect
our natural fauna and understand them as far as possible. I *love*
bees, including Masonry bees. Just as well since we have soft mortar.

I think Nick Maclaren means the cottage's human occupants are tenants,
so they won't be prepared - or perhaps, allowed - to undertake such a
course of action as re-pointing.

!:~) You could be quite right, so I can see their difficulty.

Nick-the-owner might be able to do so
in late summer or autumn and prevent future worries and fears. Until
then, I think the best idea is education as to what bees actually do.
They are usually pretty docile creatures, uninterested in pursuing
humans for fun! They won't sting unless seriously provoked. The children
could - and should in any case - be taught to wear shoes when running
round the garden and to be calm when walking through the 'bee area'.
Standing in front of the bees' homes and flapping arms about etc. is
asking for trouble whether they're in a wall or a hive.

Well, yes, education would be the right way to go about it. I've tried
no end of times trying to suggest bees are generally harmless. I
usually get the "But they always sting me" type answer. I tend to give
them the "Well, you always thrash your arms at them" reply, but it
doesn't sink in. It also doesn't help that people apply scent, makeup
and hairspray - and eat sticky foods - whilst in the great outdoors.
No wonder the bees are attracted to explore what may be a food item.

Very good points, especially re scent etc. I never wear it when in the
nursery or garden and in any case, it's bad for the skin. A lot of
perfumes contain some ingredient that reacts with sunlight to mark the
skin.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-05 18:57:34 +0100, David Hill said:

If the cottage is owned by you as landlord then just get it properly
repointed.

Rod

Late in the year, though.

Why, by then they will be hibernating in the walls.

It appears to be a question of letting the female finish laying her
eggs. and timing it before hibernation starts, encouraging them to go
somewhere else. Unfortunately, the re-pointing in late summer will
prevent the emergence of new bees next year though. But if it's a
serious problem for the owner of the building they have to persuade Mrs
Bee to go elsewhere and re-pointing seems to be the only way to go
about it. They go back to where they were born to lay again and can
eventually cause quite a lot of damage because they keep on boring into
masonry to make new holes for new generations.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, 5 May 2013 23:35:09 UTC+1, wrote:
In article o.uk,

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 05 May 2013 19:55:35 +0100, Spider wrote:

Well, yes, education would be the right way to go about it. I've tried

no end of times trying to suggest bees are generally harmless. I

usually get the "But they always sting me" type answer.

Do you then ask how many times they have *actually* been stung? More

often than not the answere to that direct question is "never" or "er I

think a couple of times". Their fear of being stung is not supported by

the facts...

Or the standard Q&A:

Q. How do you know that it was a bee that stung you?

A.1 Because it was yellow and black.

A.2 I didn't see it, but it stung me, therefore it was a bee.

Regards,

Nick Maclaren.

And of course if you're the local beekeeper the offending creature has a label on it with your name and address.

Rod
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

It's well-known that swarming bees are much less likely to sting
because their particular objective is to gather round the queen. It's
their driving force at that time, so obstacles in their path are more
likely to be disregarded.

And usually, they have gorged on honey prior to leaving the hive (if
managed bees) - which makes them much more laid back.

--
regards andyw

Old 10-05-2013, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2013 23:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 05 May 2013 19:55:35 +0100, Spider wrote:

Well, yes, education would be the right way to go about it. I've tried
no end of times trying to suggest bees are generally harmless. I
usually get the "But they always sting me" type answer.

Do you then ask how many times they have *actually* been stung? More
often than not the answere to that direct question is "never" or "er I
think a couple of times". Their fear of being stung is not supported by
the facts...

With the possible exception of one gent who lives near me who has been
stung many times by bees and wasps. Although he is a budhist, he will
swat them as a last resort :~((. Mostly, though, you're quite right,
but people just don't want to learn.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 10-05-2013, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Spider wrote:
Well, yes, education would be the right way to go about it. I've tried
no end of times trying to suggest bees are generally harmless. I
usually get the "But they always sting me" type answer.

Do you then ask how many times they have *actually* been stung? More
often than not the answere to that direct question is "never" or "er I
think a couple of times". Their fear of being stung is not supported by
the facts...

With the possible exception of one gent who lives near me who has been
stung many times by bees and wasps. Although he is a budhist, he will
swat them as a last resort :~((. Mostly, though, you're quite right,
but people just don't want to learn.

Nick's dad keeps being stung by Nick's bees, when they don't have a problem
with anyone else.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Spider wrote:
Nick's dad keeps being stung by Nick's bees, when they don't have a problem
with anyone else.

Puzzling, isn't it? Presumably the bees feel threatened by these
people, but it's hard to know how. It's not as if they're biting
insects like mosquitoes, tucking into someone unusually tasty. In the
case of 'my' gent, it's unlikely to be a defensive sting so, presumably,
it's purely offensive (seemingly without provocation) ... but for what
reason?? Does Nick's dad annoy them in some way?

Nick is of the opinion that his dad flaps his arms about at them.