Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is it just me?

When spreading lawn weed and feed with the Scotts push along spreader that
the garden supplies place lends me I always end up with missed stripes!
Mainly because I can rarely see the wheel mark on the grass that I am
supposed to line the little arrow on the hopper up with for each successive
strip.

There must be a better way.

Mike

Old 05-05-2013, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2013 09:31, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2013 16:45:39 +0100, "Muddymike"
wrote:

When spreading lawn weed and feed with the Scotts push along spreader that
the garden supplies place lends me I always end up with missed stripes!
Mainly because I can rarely see the wheel mark on the grass that I am
supposed to line the little arrow on the hopper up with for each successive
strip.

There must be a better way.

Mike

I just broadcast it by hand, without paying much attention, if any, to
the dosing instructions. From experience, it seems surprisingly
difficult to overdose it. For example, when in the past I've used a
push-spreader and had reason to stop for a moment, sometimes I get a
little heap of fertiliser at the point where I stopped. Kicking the
heap around to spread it seems perfectly adequate to thin it out, and
no damage results, and the dose in that area must be massively over
the recommended figures. OTOH I'm not a purist about grass; such an
attitude might not work on a bowling green lawn.

If it is the same as my Scotts spreader the big problem is that it
throws out the products at varying distances depending on the speed you
push it.