Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default dandelions here, there and everywhere

I have never seen as many dandelions that there is this year, must have
been an ideal year for the last year. I must say they look very
attractive when they are that thick on the ground. Is the proliferation
just this area or generally everywhere?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2013 14:30, Broadback wrote:
I have never seen as many dandelions that there is this year, must have
been an ideal year for the last year. I must say they look very
attractive when they are that thick on the ground. Is the proliferation
just this area or generally everywhere?

I think it's the cold weather having held them back and now it's turned
warm they are all coming out together, a short but spectacular season.
I still wonder why we never see a white sport amongst them.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Broadback wrote:
I have never seen as many dandelions that there is this year, must have
been an ideal year for the last year. I must say they look very
attractive when they are that thick on the ground. Is the proliferation
just this area or generally everywhere?

Millions of them here. My neighbour was out pulling them up on Saturday
afternoon, then on Sunday morning they were back!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2013 14:30, Broadback wrote:
I have never seen as many dandelions that there is this year, must have
been an ideal year for the last year. I must say they look very
attractive when they are that thick on the ground. Is the proliferation
just this area or generally everywhere?

Lots of them here, too. Good for bees, if not for gardening. Many
years ago, I picked them for my hamster ... loved them :~)).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message ...

Lots of them here, too. Good for bees, if not for gardening. Many years
ago, I picked them for my hamster ... loved them :~)).

--
You could breed hamsters and train them to pick their own and hire them out
(:-(

Pete

Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2013 14:47, David Hill wrote:
On 05/05/2013 14:30, Broadback wrote:
I have never seen as many dandelions that there is this year, must have
been an ideal year for the last year. I must say they look very
attractive when they are that thick on the ground. Is the proliferation
just this area or generally everywhere?

I think it's the cold weather having held them back and now it's turned
warm they are all coming out together, a short but spectacular season.
I still wonder why we never see a white sport amongst them.

I think they were all waiting for blast of sunshine and have all
flowered more or less simultaneously. About the same numbers as in
previous years here, but perhaps more in flower at once.

Wood anenomes and snakeshead fritillaries are also out in the wild.

Sloes are out, some cherry out. Pairs almost out.
Apple blossom still a fair way off though.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have never seen as many dandelions that there is this year, must have
been an ideal year for the last year. I must say they look very attractive
when they are that thick on the ground. Is the proliferation just this area
or generally everywhere?

Wish we could do them like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8921964...57632957787358
--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/2013 08:51, Pete wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message ...

Lots of them here, too. Good for bees, if not for gardening. Many
years ago, I picked them for my hamster ... loved them :~)).

Yes, my cats would love that! I would save on cat food, but it's a bit
hard on the hamsters.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-07 12:44:34 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have never seen as many dandelions that there is this year, must have
been an ideal year for the last year. I must say they look very attractive
when they are that thick on the ground. Is the proliferation just this area
or generally everywhere?

Wish we could do them like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8921964...57632957787358

Its spectacular! Sonchus? Have you grown it at home?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-05-2013, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote in news:km5mnn$464$2@dont-
email.me:

I have never seen as many dandelions that there is this year, must have
been an ideal year for the last year. I must say they look very
attractive when they are that thick on the ground. Is the proliferation
just this area or generally everywhere?

I see what you mean!
They are everywhere over the last couple of days.
You know it is going to be a difficult year for anybody who likes a nice,
green, weed free lawn. I have spent a small fortune on the one remaining
lawn, not to mention the hard work. Such is life. I'm sure I will get over
it.
I admit that they look nice on all the grass verges. Just a mass of yellow
everywhere, very nice indeed.

Baz

Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
On Mon, 6 May 2013 08:51:05 +0100, "Pete"
wrote:

You could breed hamsters and train them to pick their own and hire them out
(:-(

You could train them to operate tread mills to generate energy or even
enrich uranium.

I reckon this would produce a fair bit of power if wired up -
particularly if the hamster went in front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwZfhdkA3M

--
regards andyw
Old 08-05-2013, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-07 12:44:34 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have never seen as many dandelions that there is this year, must have
been an ideal year for the last year. I must say they look very
attractive
when they are that thick on the ground. Is the proliferation just this
area
or generally everywhere?

Wish we could do them like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8921964...57632957787358

Its spectacular! Sonchus? Have you grown it at home?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

No but I am going to try!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-07 12:44:34 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have never seen as many dandelions that there is this year, must have
been an ideal year for the last year. I must say they look very attractive
when they are that thick on the ground. Is the proliferation just this area
or generally everywhere?

Wish we could do them like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8921964...57632957787358

Its spectacular! Sonchus? Have you grown it at home?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

No but I am going to try!

Remember your friends if you get any seed! ;-) I think it looks
terrific and a real eyecatcher.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-07 12:44:34 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

They were enormous, I roped a rather reluctant Liz in for scale!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8921964...57632957787358
No seed though as they had only just started flowering, but I know someone
who is growing it in his garden down here and he apparently has some spare
so if I am as successful as him I should be able to oblige

Old 09-05-2013, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-07 12:44:34 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

At least she's not battling through cobwebs for you in this instance!
Interesting plant that wasn't apparent when we were there. But I think
we were there in September, so either too early or too late, perhaps.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com