Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily beetles and Snakes head fritillaries

Someone reported sighting lily beetles a couple of weeks ago so, based
on previous year's experience, I checked our Snakes head frits for
signs of chewed flowers and there was no sign of damage. Unfortunately
they have turned up sometime this week and have obviously been tucking
in with a vengeance. Squashed a couple but there must be more
lurking.
--
rbel
Old 05-05-2013, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2013 17:35, rbel wrote:

Someone reported sighting lily beetles a couple of weeks ago so, based
on previous year's experience, I checked our Snakes head frits for
signs of chewed flowers and there was no sign of damage. Unfortunately
they have turned up sometime this week and have obviously been tucking
in with a vengeance. Squashed a couple but there must be more
lurking.

Yes, I've seen them on my Snakes Heads this week. Keeping a close eye
and foot on them.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 05-05-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 May 2013 20:04:54 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 05/05/2013 17:35, rbel wrote:

Someone reported sighting lily beetles a couple of weeks ago so, based
on previous year's experience, I checked our Snakes head frits for
signs of chewed flowers and there was no sign of damage. Unfortunately
they have turned up sometime this week and have obviously been tucking
in with a vengeance. Squashed a couple but there must be more
lurking.

Yes, I've seen them on my Snakes Heads this week. Keeping a close eye
and foot on them.

Just popped out with a torch and collected 5 more for squashing.
--
rbel
Old 05-05-2013, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2013 21:28, rbel wrote:
On Sun, 05 May 2013 20:04:54 +0100, wrote:

On 05/05/2013 17:35, rbel wrote:

Someone reported sighting lily beetles a couple of weeks ago so, based
on previous year's experience, I checked our Snakes head frits for
signs of chewed flowers and there was no sign of damage. Unfortunately
they have turned up sometime this week and have obviously been tucking
in with a vengeance. Squashed a couple but there must be more
lurking.

Yes, I've seen them on my Snakes Heads this week. Keeping a close eye
and foot on them.

Just popped out with a torch and collected 5 more for squashing.

Great. I shall be looking again tomorrow. I missed one the other day:~(.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 May 2013 22:36:58 +0100, Spider wrote:

Great. I shall be looking again tomorrow. I missed one the other day:~(.

I'm now squishing up to a dozen a day (or feeding them to resident cat
who for some reason finds them tasty). IME the best time to find them
is late morning, just as the sun starts to hit the lilies. Often,
they're in pairs doing what pairs do. It's a good idea to carry a
plastic cup or similar so that you can drop the pair in quickly when
you get them - otherwise you'll probably end up just squishing the
"top" and the "bottom" falls to ground and lives to bonk another day.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/2013 17:41, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 05 May 2013 22:36:58 +0100, wrote:

Great. I shall be looking again tomorrow. I missed one the other day:~(.

I'm now squishing up to a dozen a day (or feeding them to resident cat
who for some reason finds them tasty). IME the best time to find them
is late morning, just as the sun starts to hit the lilies. Often,
they're in pairs doing what pairs do. It's a good idea to carry a
plastic cup or similar so that you can drop the pair in quickly when
you get them - otherwise you'll probably end up just squishing the
"top" and the "bottom" falls to ground and lives to bonk another day.

Thanks, Jake. I'll try the late morning slot, since some of my Snakes
Heads have been nibbled.