Old 14-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Registered User

Question Blanket Weed

I have had a small pond at the bottom of my garden which no matter what i do i cannot stop blanket weed forming .
I have tried all sorts of chemicals i even invested in a better filter with built in UV and then i installed a Blagdons Blanket weed kit to the feed pipe but no luck.
I have 2 pumps one for the filter and one for the waterfall, i only have 2 fish at the moment as ive lost a few over the last couple of weeks. I also have quite a wide variety of plants and a two level pond one shallow and one end deep.
Please help i'm on the verge of closing the pond down as i just get disheartened as no matter hwat i try it just comes back.

Cheers

Ian
Old 14-05-2013, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blanket Weed

"i.shaw4" wrote in message
I have had a small pond at the bottom of my garden which no matter what
i do i cannot stop blanket weed forming .
I have tried all sorts of chemicals i even invested in a better filter
with built in UV and then i installed a Blagdons Blanket weed kit to the
feed pipe but no luck.
I have 2 pumps one for the filter and one for the waterfall, i only have
2 fish at the moment as ive lost a few over the last couple of weeks. I
also have quite a wide variety of plants and a two level pond one
shallow and one end deep.
Please help i'm on the verge of closing the pond down as i just get
disheartened as no matter hwat i try it just comes back.

Cheers

Ian

I no longer have a pond. When I did it was about 6ft dia. I used a hoselock
pressure filter with UV, and two basic box filters. The only blanket weed I
got was on the surface of planting baskets....easy to remove. I 'never' used
chemicals and never would. Good planting and filtration is the answer.
--
Pete C

Old 15-05-2013, 09:21 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg View Post

Another thing that plants, and algae, like is good light, in order to
photosynthesize. So reducing the light reaching the pond will help
reduce the blanket weed. This can be achieved by having much of the
surface of the pond covered with water lily leaves or leaves of other
pond plants. These plants will also compete with the algae for the
available nitrogen, and so help keep down the algal growth.
Chris's advice is all good.

But don't go too far on the surface covering, otherwise the pond will not warm up in spring. Usually advice is to cover about a third - I reckon you could go to a half without problems.

An additional thing is to remove nitrogen - put in a rapid growing plant to absorb nitrogen, and keep removing it a) so it can't die, rot and return its nitrogen to the pond b) to encourage yet more growth. Watercress is often recommended.

And, of course, keep removing blanket weed. Much easier done in a fish pond than in a wildlife pond when the blanket weed is often full of young newts.
__________________
Old 15-05-2013, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote

Chris Hogg Wrote:

[...]

And don't forget that tap water usually contains lots of nitrogen so filling
or topping up the pond with it will increase nitrogen levels. You filter (if
it's biological) will be turning the waste from the fish from toxic nitrites
to less toxic nitrates (fertilizer!) so whilst a filter is excellent to
maintain "sweet" water in your pond it has it's down sides.
Some people with larger ponds have the outflow from their filters run along
channels filled with plants like Watercress which take out a lot of the
nitrates, and which are excellent on the compost heap.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-05-2013, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/05/2013 15:41, Bob Hobden wrote:
"kay" wrote

Chris Hogg Wrote:

[...]

Have you thought of Aquaponic gardening?
http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...#axzz2TNhrrfCT

Blanket Weed (long post) David Hickman United Kingdom 3 11-07-2003 09:57 PM
Blanket weed David Williams Ponds (alternative) 8 30-06-2003 07:56 PM
Blanket weed stacey Ponds 2 30-06-2003 12:20 AM
Blanket weed as/is a veggie filter plant Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 2 27-04-2003 03:20 AM
Blanket weed on my baby water lilies eric United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 07:32 PM