Old 16-05-2013, 04:54 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
On 15/05/2013 21:51, kay wrote:
Martin Brown;983335 Wrote:
On 15/05/2013 13:31, Baz wrote:-
To get runner bean seeds into the ground, along with mid-season pea and
end
of season broad bean. I wonder if we can get another sowing later in
the
year? I am going to give it a go. Nothing to lose(I keep seed).-

You are joking I take it. It is practically snowing outside here today!
Visibility is too poor to see the Pennines and confirm if snow is
lying.

I sowed my runner beans today in pots in the greenhouse, in the hope
that in 6 weeks time (end June) they may be able to chance it outside.

6 weeks from sowing to planting?
Yes, I should think so. Up to 2 weeks to germinate, then 4 weeks growing time. Can't put them out until they're big and tough because I have too many slugs.
__________________
Old 16-05-2013, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Now is the time......

On 16/05/2013 16:54, kay wrote:

David Hill;983396 Wrote:

-

I sowed my runner beans today in pots in the greenhouse, in the hope
that in 6 weeks time (end June) they may be able to chance it
outside.-

6 weeks from sowing to planting?

Yes, I should think so. Up to 2 weeks to germinate, then 4 weeks growing
time. Can't put them out until they're big and tough because I have too
many slugs.

I normally plant out 4 weeks after sowing.
No more than 10 days to germinate.
I put the seed into a jam jar of hand hot water then leave them over
night by when they have swollen to full size, then sow into pots and
keep them warm in the greenhouse, the same treatment when I am planting
into the soil..

Old 17-05-2013, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote

To get runner bean seeds into the ground, along with mid-season pea
and end of season broad bean. I wonder if we can get another sowing
later in the year? I am going to give it a go. Nothing to lose(I keep
seed).

We have planted another crop of peas for September picking in previous
years, we use "Early Onward" for both early and late crops.

Yes, but Early Onward does not work for me. 0 to 3 peas per pod! I must say
that they have a very lovely taste.

Baz