Old 18-05-2013, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Black Strawberries

Has anyone come across these?
http://www.aliexpress.com/price/indo...rbs-price.html
And before anyone says anything there also white, yellow as well as red
strawberries.
David @ a sunny part of Swansea Bay
Old 18-05-2013, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:27:22 AM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:

Has anyone come across these?
http://www.aliexpress.com/price/indo...rbs-price.html
And before anyone says anything there also white, yellow as well as red
strawberries.
David @ a sunny part of Swansea Bay

No, nor the '5pcs/bag SEVEN COLOUR Flower Seeds every Petal is one colour' - are they for real?

NT
Old 18-05-2013, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/05/2013 11:27, David Hill wrote:
Has anyone come across these?
http://www.aliexpress.com/price/indo...rbs-price.html
And before anyone says anything there also white, yellow as well as red
strawberries.
David @ a sunny part of Swansea Bay

what's the trade description act like there David? I cannot for the life
of me see that the photograph of the flower with every petal a different
and distinct colour is real!!

I don't care what colour they are, if I ma growing for food Taste comes
before all else

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 18-05-2013, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 May 2013 11:27:22 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Has anyone come across these?
http://www.aliexpress.com/price/indo...rbs-price.html
And before anyone says anything there also white, yellow as well as red
strawberries.
David @ a sunny part of Swansea Bay

That multi-coloured flower looks like little bits of plastic stuck
together. No way can it be real!

The white strawberries (actually pineberries) have, though, been
available commercially for quite a few years (apparently a much older
plant that was thought to be extinct until "discovered" in the early
2000s). I've never been tempted by them as I somehow don't fancy a
strawberry that tastes of pineapple.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 18-05-2013, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/05/2013 11:27, David Hill wrote:
Has anyone come across these?
http://www.aliexpress.com/price/indo...rbs-price.html
And before anyone says anything there also white, yellow as well as red
strawberries.
David @ a sunny part of Swansea Bay

I am bit suspicious of the flower with every petal a different colour.

I have seen white and yellow strawberry plants offered in the UK this
year. Maybe RHS or Best4Plants or whatever they are called now.

Also he

http://strawberryplants.org/2010/09/...y-pineberries/

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 18-05-2013, 06:51 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
wrote:

Has anyone come across these?
Indoor Garden Herbs Price,Indoor Garden Herbs Price Trends-Buy Low Price Indoor Garden Herbs at Factory Price on Aliexpress.com
And before anyone says anything there also white, yellow as well as red
strawberries.
David @ a sunny part of Swansea Bay

That multi-coloured flower looks like little bits of plastic stuck
together. No way can it be real!

The white strawberries (actually pineberries) have, though, been
available commercially for quite a few years (apparently a much older
plant that was thought to be extinct until "discovered" in the early
2000s). I've never been tempted by them as I somehow don't fancy a
strawberry that tastes of pineapple.
I grew some alpine strawberries that were described as "yellow". They weren't. They were the colour of unripe strawberries. It was ages before I actually got to eat any, as I kept mistaking them for unripe red ones.
__________________
Old 18-05-2013, 06:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
I grew some alpine strawberries that were described as "yellow". They weren't. They were the colour of unripe strawberries. It was ages before I actually got to eat any, as I kept mistaking them for unripe red ones.
And while we're on the subject of colour mistakes - black potatoes was another one - almost indistinguishable from soil.
__________________
Old 18-05-2013, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:14:41 PM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

I am bit suspicious of the flower with every petal a different colour.

I'm not. I'm hugely suspicious!

NT
Old 18-05-2013, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/05/2013 20:27, wrote:
On Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:14:41 PM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

I am bit suspicious of the flower with every petal a different colour.

I'm not. I'm hugely suspicious!

NT

Oh ye of little faith
Old 18-05-2013, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/05/2013 11:40, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 18/05/2013 11:27, David Hill wrote:
Has anyone come across these?
http://www.aliexpress.com/price/indo...rbs-price.html
And before anyone says anything there also white, yellow as well as red
strawberries.
David @ a sunny part of Swansea Bay

what's the trade description act like there David? I cannot for the life
of me see that the photograph of the flower with every petal a different
and distinct colour is real!!

I don't care what colour they are, if I ma growing for food Taste comes
before all else

I did try growing black tomatoes either last year or the year before.
They tasted roughly like wet cardboard and with a texture to match.

They were not quite black either - more dirty unappetising brown

Yellow alpine strawberries are OK though a bit small and have the
distinct advantage that birds don't recognise them are ripe fruit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 18-05-2013, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I did try growing black tomatoes either last year or the year before.
They tasted roughly like wet cardboard and with a texture to match.

That is unlikely to be due to the variety as much as the continual
gloom of the last, for lack of a better word, summer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-05-2013, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 May 2013 21:13:35 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I did try growing black tomatoes either last year or the year before.
They tasted roughly like wet cardboard and with a texture to match.

They were not quite black either - more dirty unappetising brown

I get these from a local chap, they are fabulous and sweet, good crisp
texture. Highly sought after. Something didn't go properly I suspect.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 19-05-2013, 11:00 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post

Yellow alpine strawberries are OK though a bit small and have the
distinct advantage that birds don't recognise them are ripe fruit.
I've never had any problem with birds taking alpine strawberries. I don't think they bother when there's so much else around which doesn't involve dangerous ground feeding.
__________________
Old 20-05-2013, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin Brown wrote:
I did try growing black tomatoes either last year or the year before.
They tasted roughly like wet cardboard and with a texture to match.

They were not quite black either - more dirty unappetising brown

I have found the same on both counts. Black cherry were the small
ones, which were mostly tasteless, and prone to splitting.

I am trying the last of my White Wonder seeds this year. But my
attempts to grow anything but tomatoey coloured tomatoes has met with
mostly disaster. We got some ok Cream Sausage tomatoes, but then the
plants came down with blight before anything else was even fruiting.

Yellow alpine strawberries are OK though a bit small and have the
distinct advantage that birds don't recognise them are ripe fruit.

I don't like alpine strawberries, but the white ones seem to be a lot
nicer than the red. The red ones taste gritty. The white ones were
a lot more palatable.

I wonder if they're good for jam. White strawberry jam may go down
well with the gardening club show (as a change from my aronia berry
and redcurrant)
Old 20-05-2013, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

kay wrote:
I've never had any problem with birds taking alpine strawberries. I
don't think they bother when there's so much else around which doesn't
involve dangerous ground feeding.

The main stealers of my pot of alpine strawberries are the little boys
who find it much more exciting to search for them than for 'real'
strawberries