Old 21-05-2013, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I hate to say it, but another unproductive year.

On 19 May 2013, David Hill wrote:

On 19/05/2013 16:49, David Rance wrote:

I sowed some asparagus seed two years ago and planted them out last
year. They grew but the stems were very thin. Would that be normal?

We're just about to go over to Normandy to see how they're getting on
this year. I wonder if they'll be strong enough to harvest.....

Give them time, it is a slow season for a lot of things.
I don't know how slugs feel about Asparagus, could they be having then
as they break through?

Just had a look at them and they are growing very much more strongly
this year. Not quite ready to harvest yet so I'll leave them another
year but very encouraging.

Did you build a raised bed for the Asparagus?

Yes, I planted them out in the way that the old gardening books show
you.

However the weather here is depressing as, whenever we come over, it is
raining and I just can't get out to the meadow to cut the grass. And, by
the look of things, it has been very wet here for some time. Can David
(in Normandy) or Emery confirm that? Yesterday was a bank holiday and it
was mildly amusing on the French news to hear them complaining about the
cold damp weather all over France! Even down in the midi!

The one bright spot yesterday was that I opened the first bottle of last
year's cider and it was very good!

My wife's just told me that some of our children, who are spending a few
days in Provence, have just texted to say it's warm and sunny! They
should be so lucky!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 21-05-2013, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 May 2013 08:30:02 +0100, David Rance wrote:

However the weather here is depressing as, whenever we come over, it is
raining and I just can't get out to the meadow to cut the grass. And, by
the look of things, it has been very wet here for some time. Can David
(in Normandy) or Emery confirm that? Yesterday was a bank holiday and it
was mildly amusing on the French news to hear them complaining about the
cold damp weather all over France! Even down in the midi!

The weather is bloody awful. I've been able to cut the lawn as I have a
mower that doesn't mind the wet, but getting into the field with the
tractor is a non-starter as you say. I have a lot of seedlings that are
showing signs of damping off unfortunately, and young grafts in pots that
have some blacking leaves. We seriously need a few days dry, and above
all some warmth. Hay will be good, though...

Yes, it has been extremely wet, lots of volume too. The Figaro said
today that it isn't likely to change before at least next month.

The one bright spot yesterday was that I opened the first bottle of last
year's cider and it was very good!

Good on you. We made perry for a few years, it was very enjoyable, but
the source of pears went away. I'm thinking of planting cider apples, as
it happens. Will you be making calvados?

My wife's just told me that some of our children, who are spending a few
days in Provence, have just texted to say it's warm and sunny! They
should be so lucky!

My daughter just got back from Salon. The weather was gorgeous, proved
by pictures!

cheers,

-E

--