GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Onion sets (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207249-onion-sets.html)

Charlie2 26-05-2013 11:50 AM

Onion sets

Early Japanese sets planted right time in large tubs about 3ins apart around the edge of oval tub with a line down middle all approx. 3ins away from each other. They did not grow much bigger than their set size ending up more like spring onions why? Planted in good shop bought compost.

'Ere in doors' or 'She who must be obeyed' bought some more for another try but thought I'd check on what I am doing wrong.
Many thanks Charlie2

Baz[_3_] 26-05-2013 04:08 PM

Onion sets

Charlie2 wrote in
:

Early Japanese sets planted right time in large tubs about 3ins apart
around the edge of oval tub with a line down middle all approx. 3ins
away from each other. They did not grow much bigger than their set size
ending up more like spring onions why? Planted in good shop bought
compost.

'Ere in doors' or 'She who must be obeyed' bought some more for
another try but thought I'd check on what I am doing wrong.
Many thanks Charlie2

I might be wrong, but do they have to be in the soil and over wintered? So
next year will be ready to harvest is so.

Baz

Bob Hobden 26-05-2013 04:14 PM

Onion sets

"Charlie2" wrote .

Early Japanese sets planted right time in large tubs about 3ins apart
around the edge of oval tub with a line down middle all approx. 3ins
away from each other. They did not grow much bigger than their set size
ending up more like spring onions why? Planted in good shop bought
compost.

'Ere in doors' or 'She who must be obeyed' bought some more for
another try but thought I'd check on what I am doing wrong.
Many thanks Charlie2

Japanese onions should be planted in the autumn for overwintering. Pots tend
to get colder than the ground so they will be better in the ground. Our
experience is that they mature about two weeks before normal spring planted
onions and don't keep much at all and we used to lose a lot over the winter.
We don't bother with them now and grow from sets in the spring and seed
planted in January in our greenhouse.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.