GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is this Viburnum Maresii dying? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207264-viburnum-maresii-dying.html)

Terry Deans 27-05-2013 01:27 PM

Is this Viburnum Maresii dying?

No replies to earlier post, so I'm having another go!.

Beautiful, weeping-habit Viburnum (Plicatum) Mareisii was starting to come in to bud several weeks ago. I went back to check it out about three weeks ago now and the buds have all withered and the shrub looks really sad against the green shrubs all around it in the border.

Can it be dying? Or has the late frost/cold in late April here in the South West of England, caused it to quit for this year? Perhaps to come back again?

Any clues or help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Terry Deans

kay 27-05-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Deans (Post 984070)
No replies to earlier post, so I'm having another go!.

Beautiful, weeping-habit Viburnum (Plicatum) Mareisii was starting to come in to bud several weeks ago. I went back to check it out about three weeks ago now and the buds have all withered and the shrub looks really sad against the green shrubs all around it in the border.

Can it be dying? Or has the late frost/cold in late April here in the South West of England, caused it to quit for this year? Perhaps to come back again?

Any clues or help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Terry Deans

If you nick the bark on a twig, and it's green underneath, that bit of twig is still alive, and may come back in due course. Don't go mad nicking bark - it's not good for the plant. But it can be useful to know whetehr or not to prune off an apparently dead branch.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 28-05-2013 08:55 AM

"Terry Deans" wrote in message

No replies to earlier post, so I'm having another go!.

Beautiful, weeping-habit Viburnum (Plicatum) Mareisii was starting to
come in to bud several weeks ago. I went back to check it out about
three weeks ago now and the buds have all withered and the shrub looks
really sad against the green shrubs all around it in the border.

Can it be dying? Or has the late frost/cold in late April here in the
South West of England, caused it to quit for this year? Perhaps to come
back again?

Any clues or help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Terry Deans

Not sure this is your problems as its been a funny season but Viburnums are
particuarly prone to phytophthora ramorum so if you do decide its dead burn
everything carefully!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Janet 28-05-2013 03:09 PM

Is this Viburnum Maresii dying?

In article ,
says...

Not sure this is your problems as its been a funny season but Viburnums are
particuarly prone to phytophthora ramorum so if you do decide its dead burn
everything carefully!

Yep; and don't tell anyone. You do NOT want an eradication order
slapped on your garden; it's not just a matter of burning affected
plants but digging out and sterilising and quarantining surrounding soil
for yards around. (All pretty pointless IMO since the spores are
carried on wildlife feet, shoes, wind and rain). A nearby property
which is affected by P.kernoviae http has spent tens of thousands on
compulsory eradication and STILL can't contain the outbreak.

I found the Phytopthora Police patrolling my garden looking for
affected plants, without the courtesy of informing the owner :-( I
suggested that a knock at the door and a polite request would have been
appropriate, and received the charmless answer "We don't need your
permission to come and survey, and control compliance is not optional."

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/915/0103583.pdf

Janet.

Terry Deans 30-05-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hogg (Post 984123)
On Mon, 27 May 2013 14:27:04 +0200, Terry Deans
wrote:

No replies to earlier post, so I'm having another go!.

Beautiful, weeping-habit Viburnum (Plicatum) Mareisii was starting to
come in to bud several weeks ago. I went back to check it out about
three weeks ago now and the buds have all withered and the shrub looks
really sad against the green shrubs all around it in the border.

Can it be dying? Or has the late frost/cold in late April here in the
South West of England, caused it to quit for this year? Perhaps to come
back again?

Any clues or help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Terry Deans

A picture might help.

If you lightly scrape the bark with your thumb nail, a little way back
from the dead shoots, the underlying wood should be green if the twigs
are alive and it'll probably shoot again in the fullness of time. If
it's brown, try scraping the bark a bit further down, and so on until
you come to a green bit. Check again in a couple of weeks. If you have
to go yet further back down the shoots to get a green scrape, it's
dying back and may die altogether.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Thanks Chris, appreciate the reply. I will do that and see if there is any progressive die-back.

Terry

Terry Deans 30-05-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kay (Post 984105)
If you nick the bark on a twig, and it's green underneath, that bit of twig is still alive, and may come back in due course. Don't go mad nicking bark - it's not good for the plant. But it can be useful to know whetehr or not to prune off an apparently dead branch.

Thank you, much appreciated advice.

Terry

Terry Deans 30-05-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] (Post 984157)
[...]

ROSELAND HOUSE GARDEN & NURSERY

Thank you Charlie. Yes it has been a funny season!
My main point of confusion was the strong budding as Spring arrived (finally) and then the sudden loss of them all and the current awful looking state of it.
I have other viburnum, various types in the garden too, all very close to each other, so I will need to be very watchful of other damage. Funnily enough, early last year, I had an Escallonia (many years old) which mysteriously just packed up and died on me, had to cut and dig it out. Other shrubs, including a viburnum 'cane'/sucker I took from the now 'dying?' one I've described here, a camelia and euonymous are growing very well in the huge gap it left!

Cheers

Terry

Terry Deans 30-05-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 984175)
In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks Janet. Aprreciate you taking the time to reply so candidly and detailed. I have had experience of this Phytopthora thing before a couple of years ago. Wiped out a whole garden Aucuba and some of the others in the neighbourhood (only Aucuba though, didnt see it damage anything else). It was scary. Might have been a different strain to the one you described here as the name 'ramorum' doesn't ring any bells. In fact I posted some pics on here, which is were it was suggested what the problem was and Phytopthora '......' was mentioned. I must check back and see what it was. I have been a garden maintenance worker, self-employed, for just over 8 years now, so I have many gardens and properties to maintain now. Still learning and very much to learn yet, for sure.

Thanks

Terry

Terry Deans 30-05-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Deans (Post 984306)

Here is the old Aucuba Japonica post with photos. In fact, the responder only mentions Phytopthora pathogens, not a strain name. http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden...ad-plants.html