GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Has anyone had any luck with veg? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207313-has-anyone-had-any-luck-veg.html)

Baz[_3_] 01-06-2013 02:38 PM

Has anyone had any luck with veg?

Mine, and others at home and allotment seem to be at a strike situation.
Other than pea, broad bean and potatoes, nothing is thriving now.
Brassicas have not grown hardly at all, maybe 10mm in 11 weeks.
I would expect at least a few tiny brussels sprouts to look at and think oh
yes here we are.

Baz

Bob Hobden 01-06-2013 04:59 PM

Has anyone had any luck with veg?

"Baz" wrote

Mine, and others at home and allotment seem to be at a strike situation.
Other than pea, broad bean and potatoes, nothing is thriving now.
Brassicas have not grown hardly at all, maybe 10mm in 11 weeks.
I would expect at least a few tiny brussels sprouts to look at and think oh
yes here we are.

Over the last couple of weeks, especially the last few days, everything has
sprinted ahead, the Garlic, Shallots and Onions are looking very good now,
the Cabbages and Broccolli have grown well and look strong and healthy. Only
planted out our Brussels Sprout plants, 2 varieties, yesterday together with
the 2 varieties of Savoys, 4 varieties of Tomato, 2 of Peppers, Aubergines,
and 2 of Chilli. The last three are in large cloches. On our plot things
have well and truly started to move ahead at last.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Baz[_3_] 01-06-2013 05:22 PM

Has anyone had any luck with veg?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote

Mine, and others at home and allotment seem to be at a strike
situation. Other than pea, broad bean and potatoes, nothing is
thriving now. Brassicas have not grown hardly at all, maybe 10mm in 11
weeks. I would expect at least a few tiny brussels sprouts to look at
and think oh yes here we are.

Over the last couple of weeks, especially the last few days,
everything has sprinted ahead, the Garlic, Shallots and Onions are
looking very good now, the Cabbages and Broccolli have grown well and
look strong and healthy. Only planted out our Brussels Sprout plants,
2 varieties, yesterday together with the 2 varieties of Savoys, 4
varieties of Tomato, 2 of Peppers, Aubergines, and 2 of Chilli. The
last three are in large cloches. On our plot things have well and
truly started to move ahead at last.

Ah! nice. We can expect some nicer conditions further north from you, soon
I hope.
It is quite a nice day here, but it is not what I would call warm. No
howling wind.(for a change).

Seems like you have got a good start, despite the horrid conditions we keep
on getting. Best of luck to you.

Baz

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 01-06-2013 07:44 PM

Has anyone had any luck with veg?

In article ,
says...

Mine, and others at home and allotment seem to be at a strike situation.
Other than pea, broad bean and potatoes, nothing is thriving now.
Brassicas have not grown hardly at all, maybe 10mm in 11 weeks.
I would expect at least a few tiny brussels sprouts to look at and think oh
yes here we are.

Baz

Same here, nothing seems to be moving. Started
brassicas in trays in the greenhouse and they grew on
quite well. Put some out 2 weeks ago, but they've
virtually done nothing, still the same height as when
planted out. Those remaining in the tray, althought
sitting outside, next to the planted out ones, seem to
be growing much better!

Planted some leeks out a while back, and they now look
terrible, tops all brown. Again I still have some in
trays, which look fine, so it looks as if I'll have to
replant.

Runner beans, planted direct have yet to show.

And there was me trying to get everything all
organised, as I'm off for almost 4 weeks towards the
end of the month.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

kay 01-06-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] (Post 984414)
Mine, and others at home and allotment seem to be at a strike situation.
Other than pea, broad bean and potatoes, nothing is thriving now.
Brassicas have not grown hardly at all, maybe 10mm in 11 weeks.
I would expect at least a few tiny brussels sprouts to look at and think oh
yes here we are.

Flowering of wildflowers suggest the season is running anything up to 5 weeks late. So how are your veg compared with what you'd expect at the end of April?

Baz[_3_] 01-06-2013 08:56 PM

Has anyone had any luck with veg?

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Let's hope that when you get back, things will be right for you, and your
runer beans are ...running up them sticks.

Good luck. And have a good 4 weeks.
Baz

[email protected] 01-06-2013 10:27 PM

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 13:38:40 GMT, Baz wrote:

Mine, and others at home and allotment seem to be at a strike situation.
Other than pea, broad bean and potatoes, nothing is thriving now.
Brassicas have not grown hardly at all, maybe 10mm in 11 weeks.
I would expect at least a few tiny brussels sprouts to look at and think oh
yes here we are.

Baz

Baz:

Potatoes going well. Peas and Broad Beans very variable. I have a
few Pea plants sown indoors in peat pots as a back-up.

Garlic looking good, Onions - well maybe but at least they have made
it over winter, Carrots suffered very poor germination and I'll
probably give up on them this year, I have better uses for the space.
However, I have tomatos, Sweet Peppers and Cabbage seedlings a go-go.

The overwintering Cabbages (as I reported previously having taken a
bad beaking by the pigeons) have survived. I planted them in a bed
inside the fruitcage, the top of which is now on.

The jury is out on the Okra, Aubergines and Cucumbers. The Aubergines
look as though they're going to be hit by mildew again. The Cucumbers
are in flower.

Runner Beans, sown in peat pots and planted out 'might' pick up steam,
provided that I water them adequately. Poorly sited this year.

Chillies of various types are coming on but I expect the crop to be
disappointing but we'll see. I can over-winter them indoors providing
SWMBO will let me.

On the soft fruit front, the Strawberries planted in troughs have made
it through and after a severe haircut are looking quite healthy and
some are in flower. I procured a small bunch of Autumn fruiting
Raspberry canes. All have now shown signs of life, don't expect a
crop this year.

The weeds of all types are (unfortunately) doing better than the
intended produce and the Molluscs, cats and foxes are costing me an
arm and a leg on deterrants.

Regards
Jon(In West London)H

Bill Grey 02-06-2013 04:41 PM

"Baz" wrote in message
Mine, and others at home and allotment seem to be at a strike situation.
Other than pea, broad bean and potatoes, nothing is thriving now.
Brassicas have not grown hardly at all, maybe 10mm in 11 weeks.
I would expect at least a few tiny brussels sprouts to look at and think
oh
yes here we are.

Baz

My gardening doesn't compare with yours in any way. I have a small wigwam
of runner beans planted as plants rather than seed. After about 10 days the
edges of some of the leaves seem to have died or at least gone cream. A
frost was suggested as the cause. The plants are still growing on. I've no
idea what the problem is. The plants have been in for about two and a half
weeks.

Bill