Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Odd marks on leaves

While I was weeding the plot this morning, I noticed sky blue marks on broad
bean leaves. On further inspection, I found the same on French beans and
peas. Some just spots, others about 5p size. It wipes off with a wet finger.
Any ideas as to what this could be?
Ta
--
Pete C

Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-03 15:09:24 +0100, Pete C said:

While I was weeding the plot this morning, I noticed sky blue marks on
broad bean leaves. On further inspection, I found the same on French
beans and peas. Some just spots, others about 5p size. It wipes off
with a wet finger. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Ta

Has someone been using Bordeaux mixture near your plants?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-03 15:09:24 +0100, Pete C said:

While I was weeding the plot this morning, I noticed sky blue marks on
broad bean leaves. On further inspection, I found the same on French
beans and peas. Some just spots, others about 5p size. It wipes off with
a wet finger. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Ta

Has someone been using Bordeaux mixture near your plants?

Nope, but good guess
--
Pete C

Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

While I was weeding the plot this morning, I noticed sky blue marks on
broad bean leaves. On further inspection, I found the same on French
beans and peas. Some just spots, others about 5p size. It wipes off
with a wet finger. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Ta

I have no idea what this can be. BUT I would spray them with Provado
Ultimate Bug Killer. Yes I know that it is not friendly. But what else can
you do? Catch 22 situation. Beans or no beans? I hate these decisions, but
usualy spray if my plants are threatened.

Baz
Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

While I was weeding the plot this morning, I noticed sky blue marks on
broad bean leaves. On further inspection, I found the same on French
beans and peas. Some just spots, others about 5p size. It wipes off
with a wet finger. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Ta

I have no idea what this can be. BUT I would spray them with Provado
Ultimate Bug Killer. Yes I know that it is not friendly. But what else can
you do? Catch 22 situation. Beans or no beans? I hate these decisions, but
usualy spray if my plants are threatened.

Thanks Baz. Not keen on sprays if I can help. Will wipe all the leaves clean
tomorrow and see what happens.
--
Pete C

Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/06/2013 20:22, Pete C wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

While I was weeding the plot this morning, I noticed sky blue marks on
broad bean leaves. On further inspection, I found the same on French
beans and peas. Some just spots, others about 5p size. It wipes off
with a wet finger. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Ta

I have no idea what this can be. BUT I would spray them with Provado
Ultimate Bug Killer. Yes I know that it is not friendly. But what else can
you do? Catch 22 situation. Beans or no beans? I hate these decisions, but
usualy spray if my plants are threatened.

Thanks Baz. Not keen on sprays if I can help. Will wipe all the leaves clean
tomorrow and see what happens.

Why spray with an insecticide?

Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
o.uk...
While I was weeding the plot this morning, I noticed sky blue marks on
broad bean leaves. On further inspection, I found the same on French beans
and peas. Some just spots, others about 5p size. It wipes off with a wet
finger. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Ta

Up here we are in a jet aircraft training zone and spotting of leaves
is a regular occurence from excess jet fuel ejection. The spots start
off as irridescent blue on wet leaves, but after a day or so the spots
turn black. Gardeners locally have lost all their vegetables after a
particularly bad event and even when analysis has shown jet fuel
to be the culprit, the RAF have denied all knowledge.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland (Area 14 training zone)

Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

But it doesn't sound anything like insect damage! It would be equally logical to spray with a fungicide for good measure while you're at it.

It's almost certainly the result of someone spilling something on the leaves, and the aviation fuel theory sounds the most likely. Not something I'd ever heard of, so good to know about it.

The wiping off with wet finger suggests the best thing to do would be to chuck a bucket of soapy water over the whole lot and try to get rid of the stuff before it can do any damage.
__________________
Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

On 03/06/2013 20:22, Pete C wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

While I was weeding the plot this morning, I noticed sky blue marks
on broad bean leaves. On further inspection, I found the same on
French beans and peas. Some just spots, others about 5p size. It
wipes off with a wet finger. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Ta

I have no idea what this can be. BUT I would spray them with Provado
Ultimate Bug Killer. Yes I know that it is not friendly. But what
else can you do? Catch 22 situation. Beans or no beans? I hate these
decisions, but usualy spray if my plants are threatened.

Thanks Baz. Not keen on sprays if I can help. Will wipe all the
leaves clean tomorrow and see what happens.

Why spray with an insecticide?

Why not? Do you have a better idea?
I have found that a dose of Provado Ultimate Bug Killer does the job in
most cases where the cause/pest/parasite/fungi is not known. So if it works
for ME, it should work for others.

Baz

Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2013 13:03, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 03/06/2013 20:22, Pete C wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

[...]

if the blue spots wipe off then I'd just dose the plants with a soapy
wash in the first instance.]In all my years I have never come across an
insect leaving blue spots on a plant, and as you yourself say Provado is
not friendly.
I use sprays as a method of last resort.
Gone are the days where plants were sprayed with fungicide one week and
insecticide the next every fortnight through the growing season.
Strange thing is that in those days bees thrived.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay

Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

On 04/06/2013 13:03, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 03/06/2013 20:22, Pete C wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

[...]

I understand and respect your point of view. My veg. garden will survive
come what may. If I use chemicals I feel that, OK, I might not be the
greenest gardener in the world, but not the worst. My sprayer is the only
tool between having a crop and not having one in some cases.

Baz
Old 04-06-2013, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

UPDATE
On further inspection today, I found it on swede and strawberries too. It
all washed off with a watering can. I checked half a dozen plots either
side....nothing. Then I realised the affected beds are all adjacent to
paths. Getting paranoid now....who have I upset?
--
Pete C

Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in
:

UPDATE
On further inspection today, I found it on swede and strawberries too.
It all washed off with a watering can. I checked half a dozen plots
either side....nothing. Then I realised the affected beds are all
adjacent to paths. Getting paranoid now....who have I upset?

I doubt that you have upset anyone. It IS puzzling though.
Let's see what happens in the next day or two. Eh?
Could it be as Sacha said, Bordeaux mixture near your plants?

Baz
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote in
:

UPDATE
On further inspection today, I found it on swede and strawberries too.
It all washed off with a watering can. I checked half a dozen plots
either side....nothing. Then I realised the affected beds are all
adjacent to paths. Getting paranoid now....who have I upset?

I doubt that you have upset anyone. It IS puzzling though.
Let's see what happens in the next day or two. Eh?
Could it be as Sacha said, Bordeaux mixture near your plants?

No, def. not Bordeaux. It's only a small site, AFAIK, I'm the only one who
uses it.....and no Smith period this year. Hey ho
--
Pete C

Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2013 19:36, Pete C wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote in
:

UPDATE
On further inspection today, I found it on swede and strawberries too.
It all washed off with a watering can. I checked half a dozen plots
either side....nothing. Then I realised the affected beds are all
adjacent to paths. Getting paranoid now....who have I upset?

I doubt that you have upset anyone. It IS puzzling though.
Let's see what happens in the next day or two. Eh?
Could it be as Sacha said, Bordeaux mixture near your plants?

No, def. not Bordeaux. It's only a small site, AFAIK, I'm the only one who
uses it.....and no Smith period this year. Hey ho

I don't suppose you have been watering with water from your washing machine?
specks of blue colourant from washing powder?

white stain marks on pool liner graham Ponds 3 18-09-2013 06:32 AM
Marks & Spencer Live Christmas Tree - How to Car For M United Kingdom 6 20-11-2006 03:28 PM
Black marks have appeared on goldfish. One has died, others have the marks!! [email protected] Ponds 5 17-09-2006 02:58 AM
o/t - gps marks ?? gardenlen Australia 7 08-09-2005 10:17 AM
Quotation marks David Hill United Kingdom 31 25-12-2003 04:02 AM