GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Camassia and lily beetle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207327-camassia-lily-beetle.html)

Jeff Layman[_2_] 03-06-2013 08:56 PM

Camassia and lily beetle

Been noticing a little damage on some lily seedlings recently. No sign
of the Red Devils until today, when I saw one (now an inhabitant of a
world of two dimensions...) on a Camassia. No damage on the Camassia,
but I doubt the lily beetle was there as a tourist.

Anyone else ever seen lily beetles on Camassia, and actually eating
them? Camassia used to be in the Liliaceae, but isn't now. Maybe the
lily beetles know more than the taxonomists.

--

Jeff

Spider[_3_] 08-06-2013 12:21 PM

Camassia and lily beetle

On 03/06/2013 20:56, Jeff Layman wrote:
Been noticing a little damage on some lily seedlings recently. No sign
of the Red Devils until today, when I saw one (now an inhabitant of a
world of two dimensions...) on a Camassia. No damage on the Camassia,
but I doubt the lily beetle was there as a tourist.

Anyone else ever seen lily beetles on Camassia, and actually eating
them? Camassia used to be in the Liliaceae, but isn't now. Maybe the
lily beetles know more than the taxonomists.

I've seen them on Alliums and Alstroemeria. However, I've never seen
any damage on those plants, so perhaps they are resting elsewhere.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Jake 08-06-2013 03:10 PM

Camassia and lily beetle

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 12:21:05 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 03/06/2013 20:56, Jeff Layman wrote:
Been noticing a little damage on some lily seedlings recently. No sign
of the Red Devils until today, when I saw one (now an inhabitant of a
world of two dimensions...) on a Camassia. No damage on the Camassia,
but I doubt the lily beetle was there as a tourist.

Anyone else ever seen lily beetles on Camassia, and actually eating
them? Camassia used to be in the Liliaceae, but isn't now. Maybe the
lily beetles know more than the taxonomists.

I've seen them on Alliums and Alstroemeria. However, I've never seen
any damage on those plants, so perhaps they are resting elsewhere.

They seem to like strawberries here!

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Spider[_3_] 08-06-2013 10:35 PM

Camassia and lily beetle

On 08/06/2013 15:10, Jake wrote:
On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 12:21:05 +0100, wrote:

On 03/06/2013 20:56, Jeff Layman wrote:
Been noticing a little damage on some lily seedlings recently. No sign
of the Red Devils until today, when I saw one (now an inhabitant of a
world of two dimensions...) on a Camassia. No damage on the Camassia,
but I doubt the lily beetle was there as a tourist.

Anyone else ever seen lily beetles on Camassia, and actually eating
them? Camassia used to be in the Liliaceae, but isn't now. Maybe the
lily beetles know more than the taxonomists.

I've seen them on Alliums and Alstroemeria. However, I've never seen
any damage on those plants, so perhaps they are resting elsewhere.

They seem to like strawberries here!

Understandable! Good camouflage, too.