GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Golden Wych Elm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207377-golden-wych-elm.html)

Steve[_41_] 08-06-2013 06:33 PM

Golden Wych Elm

My daughter has a golden wych elm "lutescens" in her garden and I am
wondering if it is possible to take cuttings. Does anybody know if this
can be done or indeed any other method of propogation?

Steve

Steve[_41_] 10-06-2013 11:22 AM

Golden Wych Elm

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 18:33:19 +0100, Steve wrote:

My daughter has a golden wych elm "lutescens" in her garden and I am
wondering if it is possible to take cuttings. Does anybody know if this
can be done or indeed any other method of propogation?

Steve

Never tried it, but this bonsai site suggests that they come fairly
easily from softwood cuttings.
http://tinyurl.com/kxh4797

thanks for that, I shall give it a go.

steve

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 10-06-2013 12:54 PM

Golden Wych Elm

On 10/06/2013 11:22, Steve wrote:
My daughter has a golden wych elm "lutescens" in her garden

Golden Elms are lovely. Like a burst of sunshine in the garden.
Fastigate but easily 40 foot or more.

Why were these unappealing to the elm beetle and Dutch Elm disease?

--
Janet T.
Amersham

kay 10-06-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] (Post 984932)
On 10/06/2013 11:22, Steve wrote:
My daughter has a golden wych elm "lutescens" in her garden

Golden Elms are lovely. Like a burst of sunshine in the garden.
Fastigate but easily 40 foot or more.

Why were these unappealing to the elm beetle and Dutch Elm disease?

I thought the dutch elm disease beetle didn't live on wych elms?

David Hill 12-06-2013 05:22 PM

Golden Wych Elm

On 12/06/2013 09:13, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:40:22 +0200, kay
wrote:

'Janet Tweedy[_2_ Wrote:
;984932']On 10/06/2013 11:22, Steve wrote:-
My daughter has a golden wych elm "lutescens" in her garden-

Golden Elms are lovely. Like a burst of sunshine in the garden.
Fastigate but easily 40 foot or more.

Why were these unappealing to the elm beetle and Dutch Elm disease?

I thought the dutch elm disease beetle didn't live on wych elms?

Looks like you're correct. Wikipedia says "While the species is highly
susceptible to Dutch elm disease, it is less favoured as a host by the
elm bark beetles which act as vectors."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulmus_g...s_and_diseases

The beetles probably take a look at then and think "Looks as if we've
done that one already"