GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Overlook the obvious (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207393-overlook-obvious.html)

David Hill 11-06-2013 08:43 PM

Overlook the obvious

It's so easy to overlook the most common of flowers,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psfd47c81a.jpg
David @ the overcast side of Swansea Bay

Spider[_3_] 11-06-2013 10:28 PM

Overlook the obvious

On 11/06/2013 20:43, David Hill wrote:
It's so easy to overlook the most common of flowers,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psfd47c81a.jpg

David @ the overcast side of Swansea Bay

Beautiful picture, David! My hawthorn does not have the pink blush,
though. Is yours a special one?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

David Hill 12-06-2013 08:01 AM

Overlook the obvious

On 11/06/2013 22:28, Spider wrote:
On 11/06/2013 20:43, David Hill wrote:
It's so easy to overlook the most common of flowers,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psfd47c81a.jpg

David @ the overcast side of Swansea Bay

Beautiful picture, David! My hawthorn does not have the pink blush,
though. Is yours a special one?

Thanks.
Nothing special, just something you find in some of them to a greater or
lesser degree

Sacha[_10_] 12-06-2013 11:29 AM

Overlook the obvious

On 2013-06-11 20:43:17 +0100, David Hill said:

It's so easy to overlook the most common of flowers,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psfd47c81a.jpg

David @ the overcast side of Swansea Bay

What a lovely photo, David. That new camera is certainly earning its
keep! By coincidence, I saw a hawthorn in full flower the other day
and it was the most fabulous sight. it was one of the deep pink ones
and really was 'in your face' gorgeous.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Spider[_3_] 12-06-2013 06:12 PM

Overlook the obvious

On 12/06/2013 08:01, David Hill wrote:
On 11/06/2013 22:28, Spider wrote:
On 11/06/2013 20:43, David Hill wrote:
It's so easy to overlook the most common of flowers,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psfd47c81a.jpg

David @ the overcast side of Swansea Bay

Beautiful picture, David! My hawthorn does not have the pink blush,
though. Is yours a special one?

Thanks.
Nothing special, just something you find in some of them to a greater or
lesser degree

Wish I'd found it in mine. It's lovely. I'll have to keep my eyes open
for something like it.

Spider[_3_] 12-06-2013 06:15 PM

Overlook the obvious

On 2013-06-11 20:43:17 +0100, David Hill said:

It's so easy to overlook the most common of flowers,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psfd47c81a.jpg

David @ the overcast side of Swansea Bay

What a lovely photo, David. That new camera is certainly earning its
keep! By coincidence, I saw a hawthorn in full flower the other day and
it was the most fabulous sight. it was one of the deep pink ones and
really was 'in your face' gorgeous.

I think those intensely deep pink ones are gorgeous, but I've only ever
seen double flowered ones in gcs/nurseries. I prefer single flowers
which are better for insects. Do you remember if 'your' flowers were
double or not?

Sacha[_10_] 13-06-2013 11:45 AM

Overlook the obvious

On 2013-06-11 20:43:17 +0100, David Hill said:

It's so easy to overlook the most common of flowers,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psfd47c81a.jpg

David @ the overcast side of Swansea Bay

What a lovely photo, David. That new camera is certainly earning its
keep! By coincidence, I saw a hawthorn in full flower the other day and
it was the most fabulous sight. it was one of the deep pink ones and
really was 'in your face' gorgeous.

I think those intensely deep pink ones are gorgeous, but I've only ever
seen double flowered ones in gcs/nurseries. I prefer single flowers
which are better for insects. Do you remember if 'your' flowers were
double or not?

I'm pretty sure they were double. Now you mention it, I don't recall
seeing any other than double ones in that intense pink. But there's a
wonderful Malus with brone leaves and deep pink flowers called Royalty
and another with slightly lighter pink flowers and bronze leaves called
Liset. They're extremely pretty plants.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Rod[_5_] 13-06-2013 01:56 PM

Overlook the obvious

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:28:43 PM UTC+1, Spider wrote:
On 11/06/2013 20:43, David Hill wrote:

It's so easy to overlook the most common of flowers,

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psfd47c81a.jpg

David @ the overcast side of Swansea Bay

Beautiful picture, David! My hawthorn does not have the pink blush,

though. Is yours a special one?

They tend to go pinkish as the flowers age.

Rod

Spider[_3_] 13-06-2013 02:43 PM

Overlook the obvious

On 13/06/2013 13:56, Rod wrote:
On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:28:43 PM UTC+1, Spider wrote:
On 11/06/2013 20:43, David Hill wrote:

It's so easy to overlook the most common of flowers,

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psfd47c81a.jpg

David @ the overcast side of Swansea Bay

Beautiful picture, David! My hawthorn does not have the pink blush,

though. Is yours a special one?

They tend to go pinkish as the flowers age.

Rod

Oh yes, I'm aware of that, Rod, but David's flowers look quite fresh to me.

Spider[_3_] 13-06-2013 02:48 PM

Overlook the obvious

On 2013-06-11 20:43:17 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

Thanks, Sacha. I'm sure I've seen M.'Royalty' in a couple of gcs. The
bronze leaves with those deep pink flowers is very attractive. One day
I should like to find room for one. The garden needs a lot of work just
now. Something for my wishlist.